RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navigation update

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 06:19 AM
rkytop_bob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation update

I got a card in the mail offering a special to update my navigation system for $265.* (MSRP) *Labor not included. Is this worth it? Do I need this? Your comments will be appreciated.
Best Regards
Bob
Old 02-21-08, 09:44 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

middle of the road price. have seen/read offers from $220ish to $300. It's just a new dvd to install and you can easily do it yourself. definitely not worth paying somebody to make the switch.

As for the value, depends on: how old is your current dvd? and how much new development in the area you would use the nav? If there hasn't been a lot of growth/new construction near you recently you may not see much diff.

What you get is new addresses, points of interests and depending on how old your dvd is, maybe some new functions. Naturally you'll have to decide if thats worth $265. I usually upgrade every 2 years or so and jump 2 versions. v5 to v7 for example.
Old 02-22-08, 07:25 PM
ww50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would I go to obtain a disc and what version would I look for for my 2004 RX 330? There are a lot of discs available on eBAY but how do yo you tell which is the latest revision?
Old 02-22-08, 07:53 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Am I glad I have an independent GPS. Updates are free and I can move it from car to car. I tell you, Lexus is trying to make themselves so exclusive that folks don't want to buy them. Don't get me wrong because I love my 330 but $2 for a crush washer, $150 for an oil change, and now $265 got a nav update? Give me a break Lexus!
Old 02-23-08, 03:22 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ww50th
Where would I go to obtain a disc and what version would I look for for my 2004 RX 330? There are a lot of discs available on eBAY but how do yo you tell which is the latest revision?
you can call you dealer's parts dept and ask for the part number. then you can shop on ebay or craig's list. factory originals on the resale market. that's a euphemism for pompous.

Last edited by ecount00; 02-24-08 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 03:45 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Wow! Am I glad I have an independent GPS. Updates are free and I can move it from car to car. I tell you, Lexus is trying to make themselves so exclusive that folks don't want to buy them. Don't get me wrong because I love my 330 but $2 for a crush washer, $150 for an oil change, and now $265 got a nav update? Give me a break Lexus!

Not to mention that a lot of posters that have used independent GPS say they are more accurate and reliable than the Lexus system. I've only got the factory installed system which is better than nothing but many swear by the portable systems.
Old 02-23-08, 06:11 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
I would rather give the $260 and give it to a company like Garmin or Tom Tom which offer portable,accurate Navigation gadgets, and can be transferred from One vehicle to another. They more usable unlike Lexus navigation which locks out. They also have Bluetooth, MP3 capable,read audio books, better Voice Recognition features. The map updates disc costs are reasonable between $50 & $75 for Garmin & TomTom.

Recently I got a survey from Lexus about what features you would like to see on the next Gen Navigation: Most of the features on the survey included how much dollars would you like to Pay for this feature and my answer for all the questions was $0. I will never pay again to Lexus for a $2600 gadget that is unusuable.
The only usable feature I like on the Navigation option is the back up camera
Old 02-24-08, 08:25 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like our Lexus' NAV systems and my wife and I depend on it regularly. I really want to get the latest map software, but I agree the price is very high, and I would like to have it for both our vehicles. I like the integrated and large screen, but I'm also wondering if I should put my money into a portable GPS instead, even though I don't like their screen size and added clutter on the dash.
Old 02-24-08, 11:25 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJ
I really like our Lexus' NAV systems and my wife and I depend on it regularly. I really want to get the latest map software, but I agree the price is very high, and I would like to have it for both our vehicles. I like the integrated and large screen, but I'm also wondering if I should put my money into a portable GPS instead, even though I don't like their screen size and added clutter on the dash.
You have 2 lexus vehicles--treat them to a New Nav update! You didnt buy the Nav option to let it be "Out of date"
Old 02-25-08, 07:18 AM
tfischer

Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

I don't understand that comment. I love the NAV, and went out of my way to be sure that my '04 RX330 (CPO) had the NAV system so that I would never be without it and so that I would not have to have a bunch of aftermarket wires running all over the place. With the phone charger, the iPod player, the radar detector, CB radio, speakerphone and DVD player and coffee maker, I have enough extra wires already.
Old 02-25-08, 07:29 AM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
I don't understand that comment. I love the NAV, and went out of my way to be sure that my '04 RX330 (CPO) had the NAV system so that I would never be without it and so that I would not have to have a bunch of aftermarket wires running all over the place. With the phone charger, the iPod player, the radar detector, CB radio, speakerphone and DVD player and coffee maker, I have enough extra wires already.
Looks like you are living in your Lexus
radar detector, CB radio, speakerphone and DVD player and coffee maker

Good thing you have the Nav system.

the phone charger, the iPod player, the radar detector, CB radio, coffee maker are after market anyway
Old 02-29-08, 05:05 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

Default Factory or not

I have an 03 GS430 and it is first ever nav of any sort for me. I have never found any significant gaps or errors. I am older, really like the screen size and could not use any of the after market units I've seen. I was at ABT in north burbs of Chicago and saw about 20 of the newest side by side, and spent the day with my buddy driving into to Chi for autoshow, around town and up north to ABT Electronics and back home on IL/IA border with the Garmin 660, I believe, that best prices for about $600.

My take:

Garmin/non factgory negatives:
Too small, could not read the text which while not necessary adds a lot. Could read the map, but not that easily. DEAL BREAKER for me.
Mounting - my buddy had paid about $35 for mouting systen and wasn't happy and bought some other for another $35 or so. Have to remove and remount everytime you stop unless you want to encourage theft. Mounting was a PAIN, could deal with it but really a minus.
Is not instant on, will not work in most parking garages, etc as it acquires satellite - not a big issue.
Audio prompts - can be real confusing in the city and suburbs where many freeways intersect. You get a warning keep left when it really means is keep going on the road you're on and don't take the exit to the crossing freeway. This happens a lot in the Chicago area, some got to think in would in other metro areas.

Garmin positives
More info, better specifics regarding POI's, all functions can be used regardless - just turn off safety mode
3/4 view, I actually liked it and think were the screen a reasonable size it would be even better. This was more important in Chicago where you may be exiting on either side.

Bottom line - size matter to me, but updates are expensive and the factory system I have has lots of room for inprovement. I will read more on the Forum before I drop the dough.