RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Annoying Clattering Noise above Left Ear of Driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 12:32 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Pics are always good, thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-11, 10:37 AM
monkeyRX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread... but I am experiencing the same issue. Was wondering if anybody did find the service bulletin? TSB number?

Am going to contact my service manager to make and appointment and the info would be very helpful. Already had the plastic trim on the roof rack replaced because I was sure that this was coming from the roof.
Old 05-25-11, 10:23 PM
westech21
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much for this information. I had the same noise, I thought for sure it was the roof rack but I climbed underneath to look at the plastic cover and noticed it was a little loose and showed signs of having rubbed against the floor board. I decided to go ahead and cut the plastic and now the noise is gone! That's what this forum is all about.
Old 05-29-11, 10:46 PM
apc3libras
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm so glad I found this. We just bought our 07 rx350 Friday morning and left for our first road trip to CA and Las Vegas. The rattle has been driving me insane. I thought it was in the engine, then roofrack. I need to get that fixed with some tape before we head home tomorrow. Thanks guys!

I stopped at home depot and got some double sided foam tape for outdoor use and it worked perfectly. No more rattle and my sanity has been spared.

Last edited by apc3libras; 05-30-11 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 03:30 AM
samboss260
4th Gear

I have tried the choc a piece of cloth so that it wouldn't 'clatter' and it made no diffence. Does the plastic piece rub elsewhere under the car? And the noise is also at low speeds.
Old 08-03-11, 11:37 AM
monkeyRX
Rookie

Update - I just dropped off my 07 350 at the dealership, where they are replacing the rattling shield with an updated part that does not allow the air to get in. I was able to get it fixed under the CPO warranty.

I'll let you guys know if the new part eradicates the noise.
Old 08-03-11, 11:34 PM
monkeyRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by monkeyRX
Update - I just dropped off my 07 350 at the dealership, where they are replacing the rattling shield with an updated part that does not allow the air to get in. I was able to get it fixed under the CPO warranty.

I'll let you guys know if the new part eradicates the noise.
Completely fixed. Please note, there is a TSB for this issue and is also fixed under the standard 50k warranty. Good luck
Old 12-25-11, 06:21 PM
rxs0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with a Lexus RX350 3.5L 2008. The problem only happens when the car exceeds 70mph, usually on the highway. My wife claims the problem started after the car collided into a snow pile. Something loosened on the bottom of the car?

I initially thought the noise/rattle was coming from the inside of the driver's door. It turns out that front portion of the plastic gas tank cover on the bottom of the car (near the driver's door) was hitting the bottom of the car when reaching speeds greater than 70mph. It actually left a mark on the under-surface of the car at this site where the piece was banging on the bottom of the car.

I ended up trimming a small piece (2 x 4 inches) of this plastic cover off. No more noise. This plastic cover looks very similar to that shown in the photo above. I trimmed off the piece that corresponds to what mascss taped in his photo above. I moved the remaining cut piece up and down to make sure it cleared the under-surface of the car.

Rich
Old 02-09-12, 04:36 PM
house9999
Driver School Candidate

Annoying Clattering Noise above Left Ear of Driver

this was drivimg me crazy... thanks to this forum I had this fixed while work was being done for the infamous VSC engine light.. both covered under the CPO warrenty.. very happy..
Old 04-27-12, 10:36 AM
WyllyMan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for posting this fix. This rattle appears like it is coming from behind the dash or inside the driver side door and is dependent upon wind direction. For example, we heard it going north but did not hear it returning south. This fix was the ticket. Two layered pieces of 3/8" wide closed cell foam on the top of the shroud and my mind is now right.
Old 04-28-12, 08:12 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of where abouts this piece of plastic is located? Can someone please take a winder shot of the vehicle so that we can get some orientation to roughly where it is?
The following users liked this post:
rlee777 (04-28-24)
Old 04-30-12, 12:55 PM
WyllyMan
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattle Pic

A great picture was posted by Macss on 05-04-09 in this thread. To locate the part in question, lay on your back and look under the car behind the driver's seat area. It is a large plastic part that covers the gas tank and has a strange unsupported flange that rubs the bottom of the floorboard under the rear of the driver's seat. Replace the worn-away foam that was on top of the flange at one time or another w/some new closed cell foam.
Old 08-18-12, 08:41 AM
tadclark
Driver School Candidate

Great solution! Works perfectly. I spent hours trying to find the rattle on the roof and it turns out it is below the car....
Old 10-22-12, 08:01 AM
seabird
Driver School Candidate

glad i found this thread....this rattle that seems to be coming from above my left ear around the roof rack has been driving me nuts for the past year or so. took off the roof rack cross bars and can find a single thing up there that could rattle...will try this tonight and hope it fixes.

note...this should be made a sticky!!
Old 10-22-12, 03:19 PM
seabird
Driver School Candidate

All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you......1000x over.

Quick Reply: Annoying Clattering Noise above Left Ear of Driver