RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is new 2008 RX at invoice a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 02:47 PM
thaita78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only things I can see different between 08 and 09 is the color choices, Pebble Beach edition, and MSRP increases by $100.
Old 03-03-08, 03:01 PM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
And to think you can start buying an 09...pretty soon! What's the difference between an 08 and an 09, anybody know?
The 09's have been for sale for about three weeks now. Like it was mentioned previously. No difference except for a few color changes and $100 increase in MSRP. I picked up the 09 brochure from the dealer and the photos of the vehicles are exactly the same as in the 08 brochure. All they did was change the title on each photo to read 2009.
Old 03-03-08, 03:32 PM
hschultz
Driver School Candidate

i imagine one will be able to practically steal (not literally) an rx this time next year once the redesigned models are available in 3/09.
Old 03-03-08, 04:42 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

So, who is going to buy the 08's? Perhaps, no 08's are available anymore. Everything is re-badged as 09's?
Old 03-03-08, 11:24 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the really good deal in CA doesnt surprise me. in many areas in CA, there are a lot of lexus dealers meaning lots of competetion. I think there's almost 30 dealers within 60 miles of where i live in all directions.
Old 03-04-08, 08:51 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I look at buying a car as in YOU doing them a favor, not them giving you a deal by giving you invoice. '08, not exactly what you're looking for, but you can live with it... no less than $1000 off invoice, but be willing to leave the dealership if they don't budge. Just like buying/selling a house, always best to sell when you want to, not when you HAVE to. Don't go into a dealership desparate to buy a car, they can smell desparation and will chew you up.
Old 03-05-08, 07:32 AM
hamop
Driver School Candidate

Thanks YWW - picked one up last weekend...at my "deal". Forums are great.
Old 03-06-08, 06:31 PM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by hamop
Thanks YWW - picked one up last weekend...at my "deal". Forums are great.
Hamop, what deal did you get? May I ask what dealer you went to? I'm still struggling with the couple of dealers in getting them to go below invoice. They did admit about this cash incentives but they said it was $2000, not $3000 and not from the factory. Don't know who to believe anymore. Another large dealer I contacted in Chicago area was totally sold out on the 2008 new RX but willing to sell me a demo with 3000 miles for $1000 ABOVE invoice as a special price to me. I almost told him to .......
Old 03-07-08, 01:18 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask them to show you the printout with their price and incentives listed. screw the dealerships, dont let them make a dime.
Old 03-07-08, 08:18 PM
hamop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YWW
Hamop, what deal did you get? May I ask what dealer you went to? I'm still struggling with the couple of dealers in getting them to go below invoice. They did admit about this cash incentives but they said it was $2000, not $3000 and not from the factory. Don't know who to believe anymore. Another large dealer I contacted in Chicago area was totally sold out on the 2008 new RX but willing to sell me a demo with 3000 miles for $1000 ABOVE invoice as a special price to me. I almost told him to .......
Hey there YWW..... if you will alter your profile to include direct email - I will happily tell you all the details at Lexus of Orland Park (IL). ----

Last edited by hamop; 03-07-08 at 08:19 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-08-08, 05:58 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YWW

They get to decide how much they want to sell for, you get to decide how much you want to pay. A million factors for why one dealer will go lower than another, or not. The fewer 08s left around and the more time that passes, the more likely the deals will get better so long as you aren't married to a particular color or configuration. Hopefully you can find a car you will enjoy at a price you are ok with.
Old 03-08-08, 07:09 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Arrow

Originally Posted by hamop
Hey there YWW..... if you will alter your profile to include direct email - I will happily tell you all the details at Lexus of Orland Park (IL). ----
hamop, I just sent you a private message with my e-mail address. Thanks.
Old 03-08-08, 12:12 PM
batmobl
Rookie

Couple of weeks ago, I got the following deal from my local dealer for my uncle:
2008 2wd, nav, Luxury Value edition, 18" liquid graphite wheels, multi stage heated front seat with rain sensing wipers, dual headrest dvd player, towing prep package, cargo mats, wheel locks for $40k. MSRP was $46,500 and I believe invoice was around $42k.

Last edited by batmobl; 03-08-08 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 06:27 PM
Dip Don
Driver School Candidate

I got the same vehicle as batmobil with the exception of the DVD headrests. I paid $38,900.00. Vehicle listed at $44,481.00.
Old 03-18-08, 09:49 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Arrow Finally bought one

Originally Posted by YWW
Since the 2009 is already out on dealer lots, couple of dealers here in the Midwest I have talked with are willing to sell their left-over 2008 RX350 stock at invoice, typically the discounts range from about $4800 to 5100 off their stickers depending on equipment. I personally think the discount should be higher like maybe $1000 below invoice since it's a year old. Am I too greedy? What do you think is a fair price for me to pay on the 2008? Thanks.
Since I posted the original note, I wanted to give you all an update on my search for the "best deal" on the 2008 RX AWD. We finally picked one up with NAV a week ago. The deal was the best I could find in the Midwest area which was about $6800 off $46k sticker. No where close to some of those super deals happening in CA though. A number of dealers I contacted with '08 RX inventory simply didn't want to deal and just gave me a meager $3500 to 4000 off sticker because they knew they could sell it without the need to further discount the price. In fact one dealer laughed at me for offering them a "low" price. Their response to me was if I wanted to pay a low price, I should buy a Chevy instead.

So far we've been very happy with the vehicle and I'm sure it'll take some time to figure out how to even use the NAV system to its full potential. It sure comes with one massive instruction book. Two things that took us by surprise which our dealer never pointed out--1) we didn't know there was a "hidden" storage compartment under the floor that you can tie down grocery bags and 2) the location of the spare tire is actually below the vehicle and not in the "trunk" like a sedan. What we are trying to figure out is whether one has to crawl on the ground to remove the spare tire cover from underneath first before you can lower it to the ground with the rachet. Maybe you guys can explain this to me better. Also the dealer nor the book mentioned anything about the need for a break-in period. Can I assume that's no longer required?

The dealer did try very hard to sell us a $2200 7-yr/100K miles extended warranty and an appearance protection pkg for the exterior, interior and rust proofing. The rust proofing took me by surprise since I didn't think new cars would need any additional rust proofing. They did say this "super" sealant they put on the exterior is good for "life" of the vehicle (warranted for 7 years) and never need any additional waxing at all nor does it require any annual reapplication. Their interior protection is also good for "life" and "better" than Scotch Guard. Their price is $499 for both the interior and exterior. My wife seems to think we should get it. I'm hesitant about it.

Did notice the brakes squeal quite a bit in the morning when backing out of the garage but other times are fine. Not sure why but my other 8-year old Lexus GS with only 38K miles also does that too.

If you guys have any advice on the RX, do let me know. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Is new 2008 RX at invoice a good deal?