RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The New RX vs The Old RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 10:59 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orzel
Hey AM1, does that mean that when your lease expires so do you from these forums?
So, taking shots at people on a message board? real grown up of you. And actually no, once the car finally dies or the lease expires, i will continue to spend my time here in this forum talking about all the problems this car has. If you want to continue to live in denial of the RX330-350's problem that is your own problem. But then i guess all the TSB's, and problems this car model and not just the particular car i own has had you're ok with it?For anyone else reading this post, rather then read my rants, why dont you call your local dealer or call lexus HQ and ask them why they conisder the bad transmissions "normal" or why this model has had things like dash rattling, loose weatherstripping, leaking shocks, side mirror motors that break, etc etc.......Don't be mad that you spent a lot of money on a car that has so many problems. I'm not mad, but that's primarily because i can accept it and also i got a huge deduction by using it as a business lease. HA!
Old 03-13-08, 07:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Think about how boring and un-productive this board would be without owners like AM1 who point out problems with their RX. It keeps us inform as to possible problems that can arise with our RX, otherwise you would have post after post of Lexus feel good stories
Old 03-13-08, 08:07 AM
sama
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Think about how boring and un-productive this board would be without owners like AM1 who point out problems with their RX. It keeps us inform as to possible problems that can arise with our RX, otherwise you would have post after post of Lexus feel good stories
I agree, We would need to hear all the information from the owners Good or Bad, that is why we have forums like these.

Otherwise there would be no TSB's, if owners do not share/report the problems on forums like these which ultimately lead to TSB's.

Personally I do not like the nav lockout and lack of Ipod/Mp3 player input.

Both were solved via a hybrid disk & 3rd party input for Ipod/MP3 player based on information on information from other owners on this excellent forum.

So far no rattles to report on my 07 RX350, it's been good so far.
Old 03-13-08, 08:22 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

So, taking shots at people on a message board? real grown up of you. And actually no, once the car finally dies or the lease expires, i will continue to spend my time here in this forum talking about all the problems this car has. If you want to continue to live in denial of the RX330-350's problem that is your own problem. But then i guess all the TSB's, and problems this car model and not just the particular car i own has had you're ok with it?For anyone else reading this post, rather then read my rants, why dont you call your local dealer or call lexus HQ and ask them why they conisder the bad transmissions "normal" or why this model has had things like dash rattling, loose weatherstripping, leaking shocks, side mirror motors that break, etc etc.......Don't be mad that you spent a lot of money on a car that has so many problems. I'm not mad, but that's primarily because i can accept it and also i got a huge deduction by using it as a business lease. HA!
lets not forget though, the rx is entry level
Old 03-13-08, 11:58 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

^^^^ i think you guys are all being sarcastic.....maybe....anyways....it is what is. my rx330 actually doesnt have some of the more common issues that other ones have had, but some problems do exists.
Old 03-13-08, 12:10 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Keep it about the car, not the person. I edited out your last part for your protection.
Apologies to the forum, I just get a little tired of all the bashing.

I have never stated that the RX was an end all, be all of vehicles, nor have I ever lauded Lexus as the vehicular version of Olympian gods. Both have their faults, and this forum has been a good place to discuss issues, and possible resolutions. What I find tedious is the same constant refrain of bad car, bad company, ad infinitem. I happen to like my Lexus vehicles. Are they perfect, not by a long shot, the back seat in our IS is a real joke, the way the tranny shifts in our RX leaves a bit to be desired. Maintenance costs can be on the high side of ridicules, but no one twisted our collective arms to buy one of these. Did we get what we paid for, I for one believe we did. As I understand it, this forum is a place to air legitimate gripes, and rationally discuss same - not to flog deceased equines.

Last edited by Orzel; 03-13-08 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Edited to add comments
Old 03-13-08, 12:58 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

AM1, I was not beening sarcastic at all.
Old 03-13-08, 01:55 PM
RXSF

i hoped my eye rolling would help anwer your question
Old 03-13-08, 10:31 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Im going to say this. I dont know any of you on this board, the only reason why im here is to talk about the car i drive. it just so happens that i am not that happy with it. The people on this board who have read some of my other posts know why im not happy with it. I am not going to sit here and say it is ok that this car has these problems. I am NOT ok with a car that costs this much having a transmission that shifts this badly. This to me is just pure negligence on the part of lexus. I never said the dealer was to blame for this, since their hands are tied also, at least until lexus HQ decides to give them a permamnent fix for the problem. I also, never said that my car has all the common problems in many RX models. My dash does not rattle, the side mirrrors go up and down when reversing like they should. I know those problems are fairly common in other RX's. HOWEVER, unlike other people on this board i feel that one of the primary reasons i own a lexus is because of their reputation for well built cars and excellent customer service. I feel that with all the problems that are common in the Rx model line it is inexcuseable and that also ties in with their customer service. What i think they should do is accept that there are problems and try to fix it, not just blow it off (transmission) as "normal", when it clearly is not. I dont know about anyone else, but if lexus quality gets worse i'd rather buy a european car and actually enjoy driving it. Moving on, not every post has been me bashing the car, in fact if you read the posts about car audio, you will have read that i think the electrical system on the car is very good for a stock vehicle. I also, said that the car is very well damped and insulated, which while makes the road feel almost non-exsistant, it does make for a quiet ride and keeps to keep rattling down when the music is up. Im am not sorry that some people cannot accept what i write, i just write what i think. I will not say thngs that are not true. If you dont believe me about the cars problems why dont you ask your local dealer, ask them about the RX330-350, ES350, avalon, camry, camry solara, ask them about the "problem" ask them what it is and what they can do about it.
Old 03-14-08, 09:09 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Never owned an RX300 but bought my wife her 05 RX330. She adored that car. no problems whatsoever except for one recall when the middle console tends to "moved". Our overall experience with this SUV is great. It rides excellent - almost driving a car. Very smooth and has a punchy engine. Only complaint is the body roll otherwise it is a wonderful SUV.
Old 03-15-08, 02:22 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's all remember that car forums like this are here to inform owners good or bad about their car. Generally, when I want to know all about the car, I don't look to consumer reports or magazines, but I go straight to the forums because I know the owners have real world experiences and problems and will tell it like it is. We all know the good things about our cars otherwise we wouldn't have bought it in the first place. It is often good to also know the bad things about our cars so if/when it does happen to us we know what to do.
Old 03-15-08, 11:49 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

^^ thats exactly right. if nobody said anything bad about, how would we know what to look for?
Old 03-15-08, 02:05 PM
RXSF

i guess different owners have different "levels" of what annoys them. AM1 is very annoyed by the transmission. yes it is a design defect, but i dont get all worked up about it. I for one dont mind it, but i can understand how someone wouldnt expect this from a "luxury" car, even if it is "entry level". lol

so here in lies the conflict. By coming to these sites, yes you do find out the real problems of the car. but can you really judge how much that problem will annoy you versus how much annoyance that is conveyed through these forums from said problems?

Old 03-15-08, 03:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was also one that was very annoyed with the transmission. The odd thing is, my wife liked the car, but it was her that had the most problems with the tanny shifts and delay. It didn't affect mydriving style too much. It wasn't until I did the tranny update reflash that it started showing up onmy driving style as well.

I'm now a firm beliver that the tranny can't learn different styles of driving and adjust quickly enough. If you are the primary driver, the tranny may adapt to you style fairly well. If you switch drivers a lot, its quirks may show up more.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-15-08 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-15-08, 04:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I was also one that was very annoyed with the transmission. The odd thing is, my wife liked the car, but it was her that had the most problems with the tanny shifts and delay. It didn't affect mydriving style too much. It wasn't until I did the tranny update reflash that it started showing up onmy driving style as well.

I'm now a firm beliver that the anny can't learn different styles of driving and adjust quickly enough. If you are the primary driver, the tranny may adapt to you style fairly well. If you switch drivers a lot, it quirks may show up more.
Back in Dec. 2004, I took my RX300 in for service at the Lexus dealer up in San Antonio and I wanted to see if they had an ES to use as a loaner so my father, who was with me, could see if he possibly might like it in a potential future purchase. Granted that a lot of drivers must have used the vehicle, an ES300, we had a lot of hesitation and delay with this particular vehicle. I was going to pull the EFI fuse, but since we had it for only one day, I let it go.

Quick Reply: The New RX vs The Old RX