RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lowering the Rx330

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 10:08 PM
SHINstyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the Rx330

for those who lowered there cars.
-wat springs r u on? tanabe? teins? eibach? TTE?
-how much did it drop? inches
-pricing on the springs
-where did u install them?

i was also wondering if there is any other springs that will drop the car right above the tires....other than air suspensions.
thanks
Old 03-18-08, 10:26 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to post where in CA, you are from. or you can always ask in the regional forums for help. i think the Rx looks good lowered. Don't pay any attention to people who might ask why do it or whats the point, etc.
Old 03-18-08, 10:39 PM
SHINstyle
Driver School Candidate

thanks...but yeaa...for sure man~ lowered RX330's r nice
Old 03-19-08, 02:54 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

I was thinking about lowering the RX too... I noticed your profile and I'm also from the OC area. So the RX looks good lowered, but obviously nothing too crazy, but how is the ride going to change? More harsh, or more smooth? I'm a novice when it comes to lowering, springs, etc.
Old 08-10-11, 08:41 PM
jconst6558
Driver School Candidate

Default Lowering

I just installed the TTE springs last week. They completely changed the personality of the car. We were used to driving an MB and the body roll of the RX was just scary. My wife loved the car but hated the roll on turns. She called the experience "point and pray". The new springs are just a little stiffer which inspires confidence and the cornering is night and day improved. I bought the springs from Sewell on a closeout and got the last set for $95 plus $11 shipping. This was a screaming deal and my suspension guy only charged $240 to install and do a 4 wheel alignment. So for $350 the car is transformed and the ride quality is still very good. These springs should have been standard from the factory IMHO. Since the springs are so new, they haven't fully settled since they only dropped the car 3/4". It's not even noticeable unless you know what to look for.
Old 08-10-11, 09:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jconst6558
I just installed the TTE springs last week. They completely changed the personality of the car. We were used to driving an MB and the body roll of the RX was just scary. My wife loved the car but hated the roll on turns. She called the experience "point and pray". The new springs are just a little stiffer which inspires confidence and the cornering is night and day improved. I bought the springs from Sewell on a closeout and got the last set for $95 plus $11 shipping. This was a screaming deal and my suspension guy only charged $240 to install and do a 4 wheel alignment. So for $350 the car is transformed and the ride quality is still very good. These springs should have been standard from the factory IMHO. Since the springs are so new, they haven't fully settled since they only dropped the car 3/4". It's not even noticeable unless you know what to look for.
What year RX do you have? FWD or AWD? Which tires?

Am wondering as my 2004 RX30 FWD has never experienced handling issues that anywhere approximates "point and pray." Sure, there is body roll but not excessive. It is an SUV after all. Perhaps it is just a matter of experience in the number of vehicles I have driven (street and track) over the years and being more comfortable at a vehicle's limits.

Now, I never took advantage of flogging one of the newer RX350's which are some 600 lbs. heavier. So, another reason why I was asking. Could come into play.

Not saying the new springs did not help the handling of your RX, just curious for the criticism of the OEM ride.
Old 08-11-11, 09:40 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm curious to know too because anytime i take the RX it feels pretty tight around the corners. There's got to be something wrong with the RX(suspension or tires maybe) if she's got that "point and pray" feeling. Like RX330inFL said, these are suv's and body roll is expected but she shouldn't be in fear of her life when shes driving. Does your wife drive pretty crazy?
Old 08-11-11, 09:58 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the 2 above posts. My 07 AWD is very comfortable, no worries on turns. Albeit, I'm not going 40mph on turns though. I was thinking about dropping with springs, but to be honest, I don't think there's a need to. I like the comfortable smooth handling on the RX. It would have been nice to have the electronically controlled sport suspension on the car, but that in itself is pretty rare find for the RX.
Old 08-15-11, 09:07 AM
jconst6558
Driver School Candidate

The "point and pray" may be somewhat of an exageration but we've had MB sports for years and the top heavy suv handling just wasn't to our liking. Our RX has very low miles and has been completely checked out by our suspension mechanic. So, long story short, the nature of the Rx handling wasn't to our liking, so the springs made a huge improvement. We love the car now and no further improvements are planned.
Old 08-15-11, 10:44 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jconst6558
The "point and pray" may be somewhat of an exageration but we've had MB sports for years and the top heavy suv handling just wasn't to our liking. Our RX has very low miles and has been completely checked out by our suspension mechanic. So, long story short, the nature of the Rx handling wasn't to our liking, so the springs made a huge improvement. We love the car now and no further improvements are planned.
Yes, it is a SUV and it is top heavy. I take a number of the local interstate entrance and exit ramps at high speeds and feel very comfortable in the handling characteristics of my RX. Does help to use the brakes a bit, even when on the gas, to help set the front end around those corners at speed in some circumstances.