RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Num Butts

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 08:05 AM
grouch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Num Butts

The wife and I took a 1300 mile trip to see the grand kids in our Rx.

We had to stop about every 100 miles, get out and walk around to get the numbness out of our butts. It didn't make any difference if you were driver or passenger. It was like sitting on a leather picnic bench. After a long stretch with the wife driving, we stopped to get a bite to eat. The wife had to stand and lean against the car for about 2 minutes before she could walk.

We got back yesterday and our butts are still sore. We don't have a lot of "built in" padding. We're both over 6' and slim.

We got this car to travel in, now it's only the grocery getter to us.

Are we the only ones to have this experience?
Old 03-26-08, 08:12 AM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you, the seats in the RX are hard. I was very close to buying one when I went down to the Wash DC auto show in January. I stopped by the Lexus display and sat in the RX a few times. I was so disappointed because I like the exterior styling of the RX better than any other vehicle. Not only are the seats smaller than average but they were hard. I ended up buying a 2009 Nissan Murano. The seats are great and there is a load of technology that Lexus needs to adopt on the new RX next year.
Old 03-26-08, 08:46 AM
banjo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a RX 350 and find it very comfortable...Just got out of Lincoln Navigator to buy the RX..I am 6ft 1 inch 185 lbs...We have traveled 1200 mile trip twice and were very comfortable...
Old 03-26-08, 08:49 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

I actually find the RX pretty comfortable too... been on many trips from LA to Vegas, LA to SF with minimal stops, buttocks still feeling good. But I do see what you're talking about about the leather not as soft as some other seats. Now the perforated leather in the IS is real comfy.
Old 03-26-08, 09:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

On long trips in my RX300, I and my father have to use pillows. Will see on my trip to Florida if this is the same, but my opinion of the RX350 from my test drive didn't leave to much to be desired in terms of the seat...felt too firm in spots.
Old 03-26-08, 09:49 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

This is one of the things that one solution fits all does not apply. Look at the mattress adds if you disagree with me.

With "n" way adjustments available and middle of the line softness, I think RX solution is adequate.

For tall people, one of the problem is the seat bottom may not extend far enough to support the thighs. One can play with the tilt to get to a comfortable position. [Keep in mind if the manufacturer makes the seat too long, short people will not be able to bend the knees .. I am exaggerating here].

Salim
Old 03-26-08, 10:52 AM
grouch
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
This is one of the things that one solution fits all does not apply. Look at the mattress adds if you disagree with me.

With "n" way adjustments available and middle of the line softness, I think RX solution is adequate.

For tall people, one of the problem is the seat bottom may not extend far enough to support the thighs. One can play with the tilt to get to a comfortable position. [Keep in mind if the manufacturer makes the seat too long, short people will not be able to bend the knees .. I am exaggerating here].

Salim

I had a Lincoln LSC that had firm, but not tiring seats. They had an adjustable bolster that you could pull forward to improve thigh support.

On our trip, I would change the seat adjustments, but it didn't help.
Old 03-26-08, 10:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I find the seats very comfortable on long trips as well. Of course, seats are like shoes, one shoe dont fit all. The seats in the RX are actually not as firm as the ones in the GS or IS. I find the Lexus seats to be right up there with the higher price european imports. If you prefer softer seats, there is always American cars or aftermarket paddings.
Old 03-26-08, 11:03 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

my only complaint with the rx seats is that they dont offer enough thigh and leg support. it seems like if you have long legs or are taller then maybe 5'8 the seats dont offer enough bottom cushion length. when i drive long distance my legs start to get tired since the cushion doesnt go out more, something that lexus offers in other cars like the LS430. i think the seats as they are are not firm enough, but then again if it was up to me i would put recaro racing buckets in every car i ever drive.
Old 03-26-08, 11:21 AM
grouch
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I find the seats very comfortable on long trips as well. Of course, seats are like shoes, one shoe dont fit all. The seats in the RX are actually not as firm as the ones in the GS or IS. I find the Lexus seats to be right up there with the higher price european imports. If you prefer softer seats, there is always American cars or aftermarket paddings.
"there is always American cars"

That thought has crossed my mind. The wife and I are "car" people and both love to drive. I have 4 vehicles in my garage and am shopping for a 77'-79' Excalibur Phaeton now. We like to go to car shows, see family and travel just to see the country side, but this ain't the car we thought it was. If I thought a Lexus representative was monitoring this site I would list all of my complaints. I love cars and do my research before I buy. Maybe I just got a lemon?
Old 03-26-08, 11:39 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Maybe a moderator will comment on the Lexus connection. I personally think is "users/member" who share info and seek un-official help.

Since you had issue with steering and now with seats, I guess the comfort and enjoyment have been low to abysmal for you and hence the feeling that RX is not the vehicle for you. On the other end of the spectrum are owners like me, who have very few nits to talk about.

Salim
Old 03-26-08, 12:22 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

We've found our 330 to be eminently comfortable for long trips. I'm 6'2 and my wife is 5'10, with some of the adjustments available we do just fine. A couple of years ago we took a two week, 4,600 mile trip around the Western States and had no complaints about comfort. We had many a day where we were "in the saddle" for hours at a stretch, and were not tired or sore. To add, I'm also a disabled vet, with back and leg problems, the RX really works well for me, and if it were uncomfortable, my back would let me know right fast.
Old 03-26-08, 12:28 PM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

American car seats are not always soft either. I was also looking at the Lincoln MKX. Those seats were harder than the RX and it's sibling, Ford Edge Limited, it was like sitting on a concrete porch. Those were the hardest leather seats I have ever sat in. It made the RX seats feel like a pillow-top mattress.
Old 03-26-08, 12:28 PM
grouch
Driver

Want a trade?

Does the Thundercloud Edition have any different seats than the other RX's?
Old 03-26-08, 12:29 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the seats being fine for us. but sorry it's not that way for you. that would not be an ejoyable way to travel and of course the only thing that matters is whether you are comfortable or not aside from what others think. Hope you can find some aftermarket supplement to make it more enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Num Butts