RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Question On Modifying The Rx 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 04:57 AM
ZIN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9.5" wide you are thinking of going? That is an inch wider than CK6 has on his RX and his looks to be as wide as you can go with the front being a tad to wide.
I need to find out the best off set to get because I am looking as we speak for wheels and tires but I may go with 19x8 instead of 20x8.5. I am in a wheelchair and do not drive but I transfer to the RX and I can't afford for it to be any taller than it is stock so I am concerned about going with the 20"wheels which only come in 8.5 widths which also concerns me that they may be a bit to wide for my taste. I really appreciated the pictures and help from CK6 but having more pictures to see the front end would really help. I jope others chime in as I could use some help.
PS I also plan to get Eibach springs and lower it .My final plan would be to close in the wheel well and have it lowered at least 1 inch.
Old 03-30-08, 02:02 AM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock 18s with 235/55/r18 tires will be about the same diameter as 20s on 45 series tires. in 19s 50series would be simliar

imo aftermarket 19s is too small for the rx, unless the wheels have no lip
Old 03-30-08, 07:29 AM
ZIN
Driver

If you lower your RX 350 with Eibach springs 1-2" do you need a camber kit or get it re-aligned? I know nothing about a spc or camber kit but did come across this in a few searches on lowering a vehicle.
Old 03-30-08, 09:53 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZIN
If you lower your RX 350 with Eibach springs 1-2" do you need a camber kit or get it re-aligned? I know nothing about a spc or camber kit but did come across this in a few searches on lowering a vehicle.
Don't need a camber kit as there should be enough OE adjustment to correctly bring back the specs. You do need an alignment though. You only need a camber kit (Not sure if one is made for the RX anyway) if your factory adjustments are not enough, or you don't have factory adjustments at all (some cars don't have camber adjustments)).
Old 04-02-08, 05:35 AM
ZIN
Driver

Heres a little customizing question... I see offered a navigation protective film to place over your screen is this worthless or actually a smart idea? The $ of course is not the issue I just wondered if people wish they had put one on or people put one on and had to tear it off because it didn't help. OPINIONS???
Old 04-02-08, 10:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Your navigation surface is designed to take the abuse....so, really no need for additional protection, but if it pleases you, go ahead.
Old 04-24-08, 04:15 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX330 soft ride!!

CK6Speed,

I will be back as a Lexus owner soon. Before my current 04 545i Sport/Nav, active steering, I was an active member on here with moded 01 GS430. The reason I sold the GS was that even after putting Tein CS coilovers on it and doing all the Daizen poly bushing upgraded on the car, I still had a woobly and light disconnecting feel steering, wich I could not stand ( they improved steering on 2006+ GS's). There was absolutely no feedback from steering on it compared to BMW. I drove 04-05 RX330, seemed like the steering was smoother and felt better then my GS and I heard they have a different technology in it, but was still light compared to 08 MDX Acura I drove or FX35' and the ride of the RX was woobly and boat like, I hated it. But need a reliable SUV now, so I am going back and forth between 04 FX35 that comes sporty stock, 04 MDX with better steering feedback then RX but still not as good as the FX, and I think it is a bit ugly, and the 04 RX330, but everyone is telling me RX is a girly SUV. So my question is, if I buy the RX, is there a way to adjust the pre-tentioner if there is one on the rack & pinion (if there is one also) like I did on my GS, and if I lower the car with Eibach springs would the wooble and boat like ride go away, and I do not see any after marker shocks for the RX330? Are all of them on air suspension, and if they are, can you control the stiffness of the suspension with the controller?! SO basically please tell me my options on making the steering tighter with more feedback, ride more balanced and controled and not soft boat like, considering I will put 20" wheels on it with 265/45/20 tires, I know tires also play roll on the feedback of the steering, so what would you suggest? RX is my first choice so far, FX35 is second, which comes basically with all the performance stock and wheels, but I like the RX interior better. Help
Old 04-25-08, 01:49 AM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

i could answer some of your questions but since im not CK6Speed, you'll have to wait till he sees your post.
Old 04-25-08, 02:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iKon_RX
i could answer some of your questions but since im not CK6Speed, you'll have to wait till he sees your post.
You don't have to wait for me. I'm no expert. I'm just a guy that likes modiying cars so I share my personal experiences good or bad. Many others are more knowledgeable than I am.

Anyway, I don't know if the RX has that same steering pretension adjustment like the GS/LS since the entire steering rack is different given it is FWD and/or AWD. I don't have an OEM RX service manual so I'm not sure how it is constructed. Lowering springs will help handling noticeably from stock, but still nowhere near that of a car since the CG is still high. It will still feel like a boat in comparison to a car. There are some coil over suspension kits from Japan available for the RX now, and I thought Bilstien also made shocks for the RX but I could be wrong.

Believe me, I didn't modify the RX thinking it would handle like a BMW. That just isn't going to happen. I owned an E36 BMW, currently an E46 330i, and owned an Acura NSX. I understand the connected feel and steering feel and response of those such cars. You are just not going to get that in a Lexus (Maybe the IS-F) and even the steering pretension adjustment like that for the GS/LS isn't going to get you there. You have to be realistic with a Lexus and especially a high CG Lexus SUV like the RX.

What did happen when I lowered the RX and added the larger rims with wider tires is it raised my confidence level when driving the RX hard especially around corners. Before, I would be scared to whip around a corner. After, I wasn't so scared. Steering was a little heavier mostly due to the lower offset of the rims which increased scrub radius thus the slightly heaver steering, but still nothing close to a BMW.
Old 04-25-08, 05:03 AM
ZIN
Driver

I will chime in here with one note.... 265X45x20 are TOO BIG for the RX unless you plan to use spacers. It's the 265 mm that will be to wide. just my opinion anyhew!
Old 04-25-08, 01:46 PM
Crystal_RX
Driver

I added body kit to my 350. Here is how she looks;
Attached Thumbnails Question On Modifying The Rx 350-img_1039.jpg  
Old 04-25-08, 05:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice Crystal. I love the white. I wish I had gotten a White/Black myself.
Old 04-25-08, 06:20 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZIN
I will chime in here with one note.... 265X45x20 are TOO BIG for the RX unless you plan to use spacers. It's the 265 mm that will be to wide. just my opinion anyhew!
265 will not be too big if the offset of wheel is around +15mm/+5mm. 265 will fill in the rear well very nicely.
Old 04-25-08, 08:40 PM
drgman350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Crystal_RX
I added body kit to my 350. Here is how she looks;
Very Nice kit ... who makes it? how much? etc ...
Old 04-26-08, 05:58 AM
ZIN
Driver

Originally Posted by iKon_RX
265 will not be too big if the offset of wheel is around +15mm/+5mm. 265 will fill in the rear well very nicely.
With a 15mm offset I don't think you would want to try it because your back will probably rub and if you choose to go with a 10mm or a 5mm offset on your rim your wheels and tire might fill up the wheel well just fine but they will also stick outside of the wheel well and look silly in my estimation.

Quick Reply: Question On Modifying The Rx 350