RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX vs Murano

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 11:07 AM
mgtn101
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I bought a '08 RX350 AWD early this year for my wife. I want to replace my older Mercedes sedan for an new SUV later this year. Mercedes is out of the question because of its Yugo quality. I love the RXs but I think having 2 RX in the same garage would feel odd. Also, RX is so much of a female-mover that I've heard someone joking that it should come with a 1 year free suply of Tampax.

Anyways, I did some research on BMW X3. Comparing to RX its less value for more money. Then I looked into a new '09 Nissan Murano. Looks like a very camparable vehicle to an RX. I was looking into LE model. Loaded without Navigation it lists for about $38K.

What you folks think? Please, don't tell me that Lexus is THE BEST CAR IN THE WORLD, PERIOD. I am tired of this crap going on on Mercedes forum. I want some objective input.

Thanks.
Well, I went with a new 350 RX for the prestige, much smoother and quieter ride. A loaded Murano LE w/NAV beats the RX in a few ways and costs about 5K less. The Nissan has a CVT transmission, power folding rear seats, 20" wheels and the keyless entry/push button start (not offered on the 350). The remote key with the 350 is cumbersome. The Nissan also has the "must have" to look NEW LED tail-lights At Toyota, they seem to think that Hybrid's (or other top models) seem to deserve them.

With NAV on the RX350, you get a ONE disc only CD player and the Nissan LE has hard drive for storing 100's of songs. Don't know if the Nissan lets you multi-disc w/NAV. Also the woodgrain in the Murano is made of plastic, so if you plan on keeping the vehicle for more than 20 years this might be a good thing, lol. If tight parking is an issue, the Lexus turning radius is considerably better.

The RX350 is showing it's graying temples but Rolls Royce has been doing that for decades. I'd rather drive time-proven quality.

Last edited by mgtn101; 04-07-08 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-07-08, 12:11 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I though the RX350 has LED tail lights and a 6 CD player, even with the Nav.
Old 04-07-08, 05:46 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 241 Likes on 166 Posts

I saw my first 09 Murano today. Really didn't notice a huge difference, until I took a closer look from behind as it was in front of me on the road. In my view, the minor styling changes still don't make it a looker for me. I'm in the ugly stick camp. When I passed, had a glimpse of the grill; again not much new here. Headlights seem a bit different. However, noticed some sort of structure hanging below the chassis. Looked like some sort of control arm or something. At first glance I thought it was part of the exhaust, but then saw it was maybe a suspension piece right near the rear differential. Certainly hangs low enough to catch on something. Also, the rear window seems to have been made smaller, making rear visibility that much less, I would presume. No wonder a BU camera is needed. I much prefer the sensors installed as aftermarket on my RX (which doesn't have the Lexus BU camera) and so does the Wife who drives the it more than I.

Bottom line, Murano is not a Lexus.
Old 04-07-08, 10:42 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=JasDmw;3427543] and so does the Wife who drives the it more than I.QUOTE]

Thank you. That's one of the points I was trying to make. My wife already has RX350. Now I want a car for ME. I like Lexus and now I am trying to find the next best thing. And Murano looks more manly, plus look at who drives it, mostly men.

The exterior difference between the old Murano and the new Murano is comparable to the difference between RX300 and RX330/350. The interior is IMO not any worse than RX350. Its also very responsive and very quiet.

I don't know, I am still thnking about what to get.
Old 04-07-08, 11:34 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JasDmw
I saw my first 09 Murano today. Really didn't notice a huge difference, until I took a closer look from behind as it was in front of me on the road. In my view, the minor styling changes still don't make it a looker for me. I'm in the ugly stick camp. When I passed, had a glimpse of the grill; again not much new here. Headlights seem a bit different. However, noticed some sort of structure hanging below the chassis. Looked like some sort of control arm or something. At first glance I thought it was part of the exhaust, but then saw it was maybe a suspension piece right near the rear differential. Certainly hangs low enough to catch on something. Also, the rear window seems to have been made smaller, making rear visibility that much less, I would presume. No wonder a BU camera is needed. I much prefer the sensors installed as aftermarket on my RX (which doesn't have the Lexus BU camera) and so does the Wife who drives the it more than I.

Bottom line, Murano is not a Lexus.
styling is all subjective i think. and saying a murano is not a lexus is obvious. its a nissan which should be compared to something similar like something from TOYOTA. Compare something from infiniti to something from lexus. I like the way the murano looks, even the new one.
Old 04-08-08, 04:59 AM
mgtn101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
I though the RX350 has LED tail lights and a 6 CD player, even with the Nav.
The 400h Hybrid does have LED's. The RX350 does not have either of which you speak. On the RX350 the 6 disc only happens without Nav. Just 1 disc (CD disk) with Nav. No LED's, but the reflector does a good job of imitation. One really cool thing with the RX350... the HID head lights. They really do point to where you are going (above 18 mph) and go up and down according to speed. Amazingly precise and they do a dance when you start-up at night... lol. Not sure why but maybe its to show you they are working.

In summary, nothing rides as good as this RX.

Last edited by mgtn101; 04-08-08 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 05:18 AM
mgtn101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AM1
styling is all subjective i think. and saying a murano is not a lexus is obvious. its a nissan which should be compared to something similar like something from TOYOTA. Compare something from infiniti to something from lexus. I like the way the murano looks, even the new one.
In Japan, the Lexus RX350 is known as the "Toyota Harrier."
Old 04-08-08, 05:37 AM
ZIN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They make vehicles with all different styles and all different colors so people can chose what they like thats a no brainer but the bottom line to me is what is the best vehicle for my driving needs and which is going to give me the best overall value in no repairs and resale.
At this point I do not see that Nissan has climbed to the top with LEXUS in such fields. You can say the RX 350 is not in the 21 century which is true but to many people who have not bought a new car in the last 5 years it has more toys than a toy box. Perhaps the 2010 will bring it up to date which I know it will but maybe it will be ugly who knows then all the 08's and 09's will be holding their value like crazy you never know.
The bottom line is LEXUS is at the top and has been for year after year which means the most to me. I wish I could go out and buy American but I can't because I care to much about quality ,
craftsmanship and resale value for my hard earned $$. So anybody can compare another auto maker to Lexus and unless there talking about maybe Honda they are doing just that "TALKING".
Old 04-08-08, 05:43 AM
mgtn101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZIN
They make vehicles with all different styles and all different colors so people can chose what they like thats a no brainer but the bottom line to me is what is the best vehicle for my driving needs and which is going to give me the best overall value in no repairs and resale.
At this point I do not see that Nissan has climbed to the top with LEXUS in such fields. You can say the RX 350 is not in the 21 century which is true but to many people who have not bought a new car in the last 5 years it has more toys than a toy box. Perhaps the 2010 will bring it up to date which I know it will but maybe it will be ugly who knows then all the 08's and 09's will be holding their value like crazy you never know.
The bottom line is LEXUS is at the top and has been for year after year which means the most to me. I wish I could go out and buy American but I can't because I care to much about quality ,
craftsmanship and resale value for my hard earned $$. So anybody can compare another auto maker to Lexus and unless there talking about maybe Honda they are doing just that "TALKING".
A Nissan will never be a Lexus.
Old 04-08-08, 06:02 AM
mgtn101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I bought a '08 RX350 AWD early this year for my wife. I want to replace my older Mercedes sedan for an new SUV later this year. Mercedes is out of the question because of its Yugo quality. I love the RXs but I think having 2 RX in the same garage would feel odd. Also, RX is so much of a female-mover that I've heard someone joking that it should come with a 1 year free suply of Tampax.

Anyways, I did some research on BMW X3. Comparing to RX its less value for more money. Then I looked into a new '09 Nissan Murano. Looks like a very camparable vehicle to an RX. I was looking into LE model. Loaded without Navigation it lists for about $38K.

What you folks think? Please, don't tell me that Lexus is THE BEST CAR IN THE WORLD, PERIOD. I am tired of this crap going on on Mercedes forum. I want some objective input.

Thanks.
nissan..... lexus
you name what you would rather have
Old 04-08-08, 06:57 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

STAY AWAY from Nissan! My wifes 04' Mo broke down with 40k and the dealer told here to have it towed and hung up the phone on her.
Long story short they had an altanator recalled that beat that battery up ( I had to replace that at 30k) which in turn leaked all over the trans line and caused that to let go...NO big deal having a car that breaks down,. but when I call for support, I want answers. I am still waiting for one of any three nissan dealers to call me back. I was looking for a New Mo and a GTR, but now I am looking at another Lexus. I just can't pay the money and still worry when *ish happens and my experence has tought me not to depend on Nissan.
Old 04-08-08, 10:24 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mgtn101
In Japan, the Lexus RX350 is known as the "Toyota Harrier."
trying to be funny now? because if you put it that way then up until a few years ago all lexus models were sold as toyotas in japan and europe. So, if going by what you said then everybody that owns a older lexus actually owns a toyota. good one!
Old 04-08-08, 10:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The older Murano had a lot of problems with their CVT, they are suppose to be fixed in this generation of Murano. I guess only time will tell.
I had a 95 Nissan Maxima which was a pretty dependable car, but let me tell you, the nissan dealers are no where near the Lexus dealer in terms of sevice. My Lexus dealer will bend over backward to try to please me. The opposite is true at my Nissan dealer, everytime I bring my car there, I come home pissed off for one reason or another.
Old 04-08-08, 10:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,388 Posts

I've deleted a few rude posts. If you're going to call names and pick fights, I suggest you exit this thread please. Keep the discussion civil.
Old 04-08-08, 06:33 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've deleted a few rude posts. If you're going to call names and pick fights, I suggest you exit this thread please. Keep the discussion civil.
That's exactly what I was afraid of when I started this thread (read my original post). Some people just take it way to close to their hearts, and they remind me few stupid punks from my other (MBZ W124) forum. Lexus is not an sacred cow. That's what Mercedes and BMW used to think of themselves. Other manufacturers can build a better car, and I think Nissan came very close with Murano. Styling is a metter of taste, but driving, handling, features, reliability are there for us to compare, which I did. I will agree, though, that Lexus Service is by far better, but let me remind you that it comes with a price, about $7000 in this particular case.

Quick Reply: RX vs Murano