RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX 350 vs Touareg v6 vs Nissan Armada vs FX35

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 12:30 AM
cheap_deal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX 350 vs Touareg v6 vs Nissan Armada vs FX35

since my rx is totalled (http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...light=totalled), need a new set of wheels. which one of the above is best? should i just get another RX or look at the other alternatives?
comments/suggestions/inputs most welcome

i like the RX, but the others have keyless start. the fx is more sporty, but how is the ride quality? is it comfortable as well?
the armada would be good when i have family, friends visiting as it can haul more people.
the touareg i find it better looking than the RX350.
which one should i go for?

reliability, navi, BT, rear viewcam, good ride, decent acceleration are my priorities.
please help
Old 04-05-08, 03:28 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How bout go drive each one for a bit and see
Old 04-05-08, 06:13 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Take a look at 2009 Nissan Murano. I test-drove one yesterday, very similar to an RX. It looks kinda different, but feels and drives nice.
Old 04-05-08, 08:04 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't let keyless start be a prime factor. It's a gimmick and can be a PITA
Old 04-05-08, 11:27 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by cheap_deal
since my rx is totalled (http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...light=totalled), need a new set of wheels. which one of the above is best? should i just get another RX or look at the other alternatives?

snip snip

reliability, navi, BT, rear viewcam, good ride, decent acceleration are my priorities.
please help
You overlooked safety!.

Salim
Old 04-06-08, 10:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Touareg and Armada I would avoid, have had some friends with both down here, and they don't hold up to what you pay for them.
Old 04-06-08, 10:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I think the GX 470 would fit your bill perfectly. If you aren't opposed to a body on frame SUV like the Armada and could use a little extra space I think the GX is the best way to go.

It's a little bigger than midsize and a bit smaller than full size and when considering quality, luxury, ride and performance the GX is the best kept secret in it's segment and one of my absolute favorite Lexuses. Take it for a test drive...I think you'll fall in love.
Old 04-06-08, 11:34 AM
cheap_deal
Driver

thanks booyah, go drive them eh? would have never thought of that!!!

guys can we please stick to the vehicles i have mentioned! we dont even get the gx470 here. we do get toyota prados and i dont want that!
anyway bad idea bringing anyother vehicles other a lexus into the club lexus forums! i should have known better.
thanks for the help
Old 04-07-08, 08:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Get the FX if you dont mind the stiff ride. Personally, I would never buy the same car twice.
Old 04-08-08, 02:31 PM
ZIN
Driver

i like the RX, but the others have keyless start. the fx is more sporty, but how is the ride quality? is it comfortable as well?
the armada would be good when i have family, friends visiting as it can haul more people.
the touareg i find it better looking than the RX350.
which one should i go for?

please help
Looks like you already picked the best choice of what you described. The others do not compare....
Old 04-08-08, 05:29 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i say get the fx45 its a beast and the ehaust note sounds quite nice, although i would think it would be annoying after a while
Old 04-08-08, 06:03 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks booyah, go drive them eh? would have never thought of that!!!

guys can we please stick to the vehicles i have mentioned! we dont even get the gx470 here. we do get toyota prados and i dont want that!
anyway bad idea bringing anyother vehicles other a lexus into the club lexus forums! i should have known better.
thanks for the help

Glad to help a fellow Lexus man out!! Get out there
Old 04-09-08, 08:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

If I had to chose one from your list it would be to purchase another RX. The ride in the Infiniti was way too stiff for my liking, and I like a stiff ride compared to many. The other two, the VW and Nissan, are big and bulky and you feel it when driving them. The RX is a good compromise in size, ride quality and nimbleness. How often do you really need all that space in anything larger than the RX?

Now, if I had my choice of any vehicle to replace "my" RX, I would probably select something different. Not so much the vehicle, rather, the local dealers I would rather do without. Got tired of arguing over warranty repairs, such as moisture in the headlights that I was told to be "normal." Got the same message at two dealerships which both happen to be the only ones local and they are both owned by the same company.
Old 04-10-08, 04:52 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If I had to chose one from your list it would be to purchase another RX. The ride in the Infiniti was way too stiff for my liking, and I like a stiff ride compared to many. ....
Just a quick question on the ride quality of FX you mentioned, is this in reffererence to an FX equiped with sport package perhaps? The one without the sport package should be less stiff, no?
Old 04-13-08, 09:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SugarRush
Just a quick question on the ride quality of FX you mentioned, is this in reffererence to an FX equiped with sport package perhaps? The one without the sport package should be less stiff, no?
The FX in question was an FX35 RWD with the 20" tire package. Perhaps the standard 18" tires would give a softer ride, however, non of those were on the lot for me to try.

Now, this is a personal opinion. The reason I purchased my RX was I wanted a luxury mid-sized SUV with a somewhat soft, comfortable, ride when traveling back-and-forth from the office or for long trips up-and-down the east coast. The vehicle is rarely driven in haste. When I want something a bit more sporty to drive I have others I can choose from and I get enough time at the track to satisfy my desire for speed.

When I drove the FX, even on good FL streets and highways, I felt many road imperfections transmitted through the suspension and driver seat. A younger person or a person looking for a single vehicle which would serve both SUV and sports car needs would probably find the FX a suitable vehicle. A tradeoff or difference between FWD and RWD? Perhaps.

Quick Reply: 2008 RX 350 vs Touareg v6 vs Nissan Armada vs FX35