RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

In Japan the RX 350 is a Toyota Harrier

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 05:20 AM
mgtn101
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In Japan the RX 350 is a Toyota Harrier

In Japan, the Lexus RX 350 is known as the Toyota Harrier. Why don't they just offer that here? It offers height adjustable suspension and loads of other stuff. Guess Toyota thinks we can't deal with such innovations yet my sisters "since long gone" 1985 Subaru GL had that. At least the Japanese get side marked turn signals. America. We need Lexus to be all it is in Japan. Why should we settle for less? Buy one and see what all you don't get through the owners manual. They must be unsure of all their tech stuff or don't think we are worthy.

And hell, (as pictured) without a roof rack that makes noise with the sunroof open.... not to mention gas mileage. I am seeing that this is a generic premium car.
Attached Thumbnails In Japan the RX 350 is a Toyota Harrier-imgp6100.jpg  

Last edited by mgtn101; 04-08-08 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 07:31 AM
banjo
Driver

What is that thing sticking up on the left fron fender ?..Doesn't look good..
Old 04-08-08, 07:39 AM
sama
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgtn101
In Japan, the Lexus RX 350 is known as the Toyota Harrier. Why don't they just offer that here? It offers height adjustable suspension and loads of other stuff. Guess Toyota thinks we can't deal with such innovations yet my sisters "since long gone" 1985 Subaru GL had that. At least the Japanese get side marked turn signals. America. We need Lexus to be all it is in Japan. Why should we settle for less? Buy one and see what all you don't get through the owners manual. They must be unsure of all their tech stuff or don't think we are worthy.

And hell, (as pictured) without a roof rack that makes noise with the sunroof open.... not to mention gas mileage. I am seeing that this is a generic premium car.
Harrier has a 2.4 L engine and depending on the country where the vehicle is being marketed a Toyota can be a Lexus(with additional features meaning more $ and Lexus can be a Toyota.

In Japan Lexus brand does not sell well inspite it being the World Head Quarters for Toyota

Toyota Land Cruiser is Lexus LX
Toyota Soarer is Lexus SC
Toyota Windom is Lexus ES
Toyota Altezza is Lexus IS
Toyota Aristo is Lexus GS
Toyota Celsior is Lexus LS
Toyota Harrier is Lexus RX
Old 04-08-08, 08:13 AM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by banjo
It is a mirror for Japanese visibility requirements, nearly every single truck and SUV has one. It has something to do with how much the A pillar blocks your view and the ability to see the side.

Also you can see a slot for a camera in the mirror. When I installed the JDM LED turn signal mirrors, the mirror cover came with a hole & cap to cover the hole on the left side mirror cover (Passenger side in Japan). Later I found that it in fact is a slot for a park aid assist camera.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-08, 09:12 AM
banjo
Driver

Very good safety feature...You can see that blind spot that is always there just looking in side mirror..
Old 04-08-08, 09:18 AM
Driver School Candidate

Its called a "Baby Mirror". Required by law in Japan for vehicles above certain height. Baby Mirror is for viewing the blind spot below the A pillar, so that when u reverse yr vehicle you won't roll over any living body that happened to be there.
Old 04-08-08, 10:30 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

my RX330 has height adjustable suspension. you needed to get the performance package.
Old 04-08-08, 10:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by guest
Its called a "Baby Mirror". Required by law in Japan for vehicles above certain height. Baby Mirror is for viewing the blind spot below the A pillar, so that when u reverse yr vehicle you won't roll over any living body that happened to be there.

So is the side marker, its required by law. I bet the next gen of RX will have the turn signal mirrors.
Old 04-08-08, 11:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

About time they included a side mirror turn signal. Really hate that options in Japan are not offered in the US. They do not want us to have everything, eh?
Old 04-08-08, 01:06 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mgtn101

Lexus is a Brand and doesn't exist in Japan as a Brand in it's own right (It may have recently started as a brand there not sure yet). Acura's are sold as Honda's, Infinity are sold as Nissan's etc everywhere else in the world except North America. Regardless of brand, manufacturer's do not have standard offerings across the world. Different cultures value things differently, have different safety requirements etc. What applies in the US usually doesn't apply in the rest of the world!

Japan keeps most cutting edge technology for domestic release only regardless of the industry and then slowly dribbles it out to the rest of the world. The electronics you can buy in Japan would freak most people out.
Old 04-08-08, 01:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sama
In Japan Lexus brand does not sell well inspite it being the World Head Quarters for Toyota

Toyota Land Cruiser is Lexus LX
Toyota Soarer is Lexus SC
Toyota Windom is Lexus ES
That's the story for the past years, correct. But now there is no more Soarer, Windom, etc. The new IS/GS/LS etc are sold as Lexus since 2005-2006. And Lexus has sold less than expected in its first 2 years...this is somewhat like how Lexus started in the U.S., less than expected in its first 2 years as well. Anyhow, sales for Lexus Japan recently are very close to the numbers for MB, BMW, etc: http://thepassionatepursuit.com/2008...bers-in-japan/

Right now the 2RX is sold as the Harrier in Japan but word is that will change with the 3RX. Also in Japan there are quite a few Lexus-badged Harriers:

From Hapaboy's thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=341877&page=3
Old 04-08-08, 01:58 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

this is how is will always be. US always gets watered down vehicles. same this for acura/honda
Old 04-08-08, 01:59 PM
mgtn101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by banjo
a jap mirror. they keep this up, i will buy a Chevrolet that is loaded.
Old 04-08-08, 02:03 PM
mgtn101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Lexus is a Brand and doesn't exist in Japan as a Brand in it's own right (It may have recently started as a brand there not sure yet). Acura's are sold as Honda's, Infinity are sold as Nissan's etc everywhere else in the world except North America. Regardless of brand, manufacturer's do not have standard offerings across the world. Different cultures value things differently, have different safety requirements etc. What applies in the US usually doesn't apply in the rest of the world!

Japan keeps most cutting edge technology for domestic release only regardless of the industry and then slowly dribbles it out to the rest of the world. The electronics you can buy in Japan would freak most people out.
F the jap attitude. Go American and get the dumb **** we have to offer.
Old 04-08-08, 02:12 PM
mgtn101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
So is the side marker, its required by law. I bet the next gen of RX will have the turn signal mirrors.

i would hope a lexus can do the chevrolet thing

Chevrolet, that is a nice name. Then again, i love big men.

Last edited by mgtn101; 04-08-08 at 02:20 PM.