RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I've driven an 08 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 06:49 PM
steiner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've driven an 08 MDX

I am having an 08 Acura MDX for a few days as a loaner car. After a few hundred miles I came to the same conclusion I did more than a year ago. Now I am officially glad that I bought my 07 RX350 instead. (And I own 4 Acura so far. Currently have two in the garage)

The interior of the MDX looks cheap and gimmicky with all the red and purple colors in the gauges, the cheap plastic and fake wood panel. The shift stick looks and feels like cars 30 years ago. The whole layout of the interior seems to aim for 10-year old boys.

The car is heavy and under-powered. Seems like it puts in a lot of effort to accelerate. The seat seems less comfortable and my foot felt tired on the gas pedal.

There are only a few things I like better than the RX. There is real tire pressure read out for each tire. A/C in the back has a blower and separate controls. Turning radius is good.

Overall, I don't feel good like I do in an RX. I would choose the RX all over again.
Old 04-10-08, 08:42 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Glad to hear! I was actually considering the MDX, but I read about how it felt underpowered and just couldn't get pass the exterior. Plus, it wasn't exactly a bargain by any means.

I drive the RX350 pretty hard and fast (compared to other RX drivers), and as strange as this may seem... I love how it handles for a luxury SUV.
Old 04-10-08, 12:11 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Glad to hear! <snip>.

I drive the RX350 pretty hard and fast (compared to other RX drivers), and as strange as this may seem... I love how it handles for a luxury SUV.
Another one! Cool! I drive my 330 pretty aggressively and love it. The handling is quite decent for an SUV and if you stay in the sweet zone of the RPM's it does perform well. Although there is body lean, it can be tossed quite a bit before you start getting into trouble (where the VSC nannies try to take control).

Just nice to know that there are others of us out there.
Old 04-10-08, 01:42 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

man...i have never been able to get the nanny to make any type of beep. I mean i try to, but all i get are squeals from the tires.

anywhoo, cant wait for the new RX to sweep up the other suvs
Old 04-10-08, 02:47 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Orzel
Another one! Cool! I drive my 330 pretty aggressively and love it. The handling is quite decent for an SUV and if you stay in the sweet zone of the RPM's it does perform well. Although there is body lean, it can be tossed quite a bit before you start getting into trouble (where the VSC nannies try to take control).

Just nice to know that there are others of us out there.
Yeah! Of course, not with passengers in the RX
Old 04-10-08, 03:12 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

I considered the MDX and also the BMW X3. Glad to hear about the MDX as I had driven a X3 as a loaner. I am very pleased with my 08 RX 350 and to tell you the truth I have to constantly monitor the speedometer as the RX is so quick to accelerate and feels so comfortable you think you are driving the speed limit on a 45 MPH street and look down and you are going 60 ! I am very pleased with my decision on the Lexus.
Old 04-10-08, 04:43 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

The only suv that make me always 'look' back and 'lightly regreting' my decision to purchase the RX350 is the Infiniti fx35.... I think it is a good handling SUV. I keep asking my self: what ifs I had bought the FX instead. I did test drove it but I hardly can remember the reason I did not choose it over RX...sounds weird eh?
Old 04-10-08, 07:32 PM
steiner
Driver

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
just couldn't get pass the exterior.
I know. I hate the styling when it first came out. However, I know this kind of thing requires time to get use to, but after a year I think this car is uglier than ever. I don't see a lot of these on the street (unlike the first generation MDX which as an instant hit when they came out). I think Acura has lost it.
Old 04-11-08, 04:59 AM
tran_man
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steiner
I know. I hate the styling when it first came out. However, I know this kind of thing requires time to get use to, but after a year I think this car is uglier than ever. I don't see a lot of these on the street (unlike the first generation MDX which as an instant hit when they came out). I think Acura has lost it.
When I was at the dealership, I told the salesman that I was interested in the MDX but just didn't like the styling. You know what he told me? "You'll get used to it" and "It'll grow on you." That's when I knew the MDX wasn't for me. That and:

No rain sensing wipers
Rear windows don't roll down all the way
Limited cargo space due to folding third row seats
Old 04-11-08, 06:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Almost everyone who drove the new MDX comes away with the same commands, " nice handling SUV and are you sure it has 300 horsepower? " I think the problem with the MDX is the price, they have raise it to the same level as Lexus RX or GX and BMW X3 and X5. At the same time the MDX remains to be a entry level luxury SUV due to its cheaper material.
Old 04-11-08, 12:04 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If RX350 IS that good, then there is no need to slam MDX.
It is obviously biased when asking RX350 owners but sales trend do not lie (people, especially those who made financial investment in a particular brand do)
While MDX historically trails RX in sales, Acura has increased 7.9% in Sales in MDX and 154% in RDX in 2007.
Lexus sold 108K RX350 and RX400h in 2006, the figure was decreased to 103K in 2007.

Again, if one is very happy with his car, there is no need to fish for stories from who "feel for performance" (BTW, isn't a clock the best way to measure 0-60 and slalom time?)
Old 04-11-08, 12:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lol and you think a 7.9% increase in sale after a complete re-design is a good number?
Old 04-11-08, 01:20 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
It is obviously biased when asking RX350 owners but sales trend do not lie (people, especially those who made financial investment in a particular brand do)
While MDX historically trails RX in sales, Acura has increased 7.9% in Sales in MDX and 154% in RDX in 2007.
Lexus sold 108K RX350 and RX400h in 2006, the figure was decreased to 103K in 2007.

Again, if one is very happy with his car, there is no need to fish for stories from who "feel for performance" (BTW, isn't a clock the best way to measure 0-60 and slalom time?)
The combined sales figures for all new MDX & RDX are: 81962 . The sales figures for the current out dated RX/RX400h is 103 K.

Wait until the all new RX debuts next year.

MDX 58,606
RDX 23,356
Old 04-11-08, 01:44 PM
steiner
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Yes, I think my RX350 IS that good, and, No, nobody is slamming anything. It is just comparative opinions from a long-time loyal Acura owner (always had at least one Acura in the garage since 1986) who is recently not satisfied with the new product and switches camp for a better value.
Old 04-11-08, 01:55 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lol and you think a 7.9% increase in sale after a complete re-design is a good number?
Better than GX for sure, which is MDX's true competitor. The MDX was re-designed for the model year 2007 two years ago, 7.9% is an increase, far better than a decrease. It is the trend, not abolute volume, as I posted earlier.

Also data is a lot better than "MDX does not feel like 300 horsepower" because it is factual, not biased opinion.

Again, if RX350 is that good, there is no need to talk down the MDX. If one is rich, there is no need to round up 100 folks that re-affirm, sweet talk, and back-slap each other on "how wealthy you are" "why other people are poor".

Last edited by TunedRX300; 04-11-08 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: I've driven an 08 MDX