RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Trading RX350 for Mercedes C300

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 09:42 PM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading RX350 for Mercedes C300

I know it's unfair to ask the following question on a Lexus forum but...

"Do you think its crazy to switch from a RX350 to a C300 Sport?"

If I was using RX for its cargo space or roominess I would definitely stick with the RX but I'm just using it for daily commute and bought it since I like the high seating position compared to a regular sedan. And of course the Lexus reliability.

But after taking a IS250 loaner a while ago...I kinda miss the sportiness of a sedan (sport seadan) and thinking about heading that way...

I'm planning to have a family so this kind of makes me hesitant to make the move but it hasn't happen yet...(Any advice on this matter who has kids?...Is it much more easier in a SUV???)

I would have to pay around $5000~6000 to make the trade but I'm not sure and seeking others' opinions to make my mind straight...The C300 Sport w/NAV is around $40,000..

Appreciate any honest inputs...(Such as "Are you crazy!!! or Dude wake up!!!")...
Old 04-09-08, 09:59 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i love the new C class, in fact i plan on purchasing one this year. but i would spring for the 350. it is rumored that in 2009 the c350 is going to recieve a 300+ hp engine. w00t

but yeh, they do cost a lot, but i just love the way they look. good choice!
Old 04-09-08, 10:43 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a C300 for a loaner vehicle last week. If you don't need the room of a SUV, the new C is a nice car.

Exterior is very nice. And while the interior is not the most luxurious, it looks pretty good with a darker interior. Still prefer the Lexus navigation system to the MB COMAND system, although it is improved on the C.

And remember that the C is a brand new model, so it may still have some bugs. But from what I've read, MB put a lot of effort into the new C in hopes of improving its reliability reputation.
Old 04-09-08, 11:12 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you crazy!!! Dude wake up!!!

Seriously, why Mercedes? In the last 13 year I've owned 3 of them, I still drive one today. I love the way MBZ drives and looks, but reliability? Last year Consumer Reports had MBZ dead last on quality and I now why. MBZ owners have a good forum, mbworld.org, check it out. Keep in mind, that MBZ crowd is extremely protective of their brand, so don't count on objective advice there, just look at all the problems they have.

If you absolutely have to drive a German sporty sedan, check out BMW 3-series. By far better reliability. However, if you want to make Mercedes payments and drive rental Chevy Malibu loaners all the time, be my guest.
Old 04-10-08, 05:14 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Trade The Rx350 For A Benz. Do It And Do Not Look Back. I Purchased A 08 Rx350 And It Has Been A Nightmare. I Tried Trading But The Resale Value Is Not That Great. The New C Is Great, I Attempted To Trade For A C300 4matic Loaded, But My Net Deal Was Over $9 Grand And My Rx (3 Dealers). The Other Offer Was A 08 Gs350 Awd Loaded For $9k And My Rx. I Have A Benz With Over 200k Miles And It Is Running Fine. We Refer To It As The "tiger Tank". I Eneded Up Trading My Yukon Xl Denali For A Bmw X5 So I Will Still Have An Suv When The Rx Is Traded. This Was Not My Original Plan. I Will Dump The Rx350 For The New 2010 E Class When It Comes Out In The Spring Of 2009. When The 2010 Rx (new Model) Comes Out In April Of 2009 The Current Model Will Look Old And The Resale Values Will Nose Dive!!! Dump It Now. I Will Dump Mine Before April 2009. The Benz Was Not Dead Last In Quality. Landrover Was! Benz Was 7. My Rx Has Been Worse Than Any Of My Cars, Except My Audi.
Old 04-10-08, 06:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I say go for it, the C class is a very nice car. I am seriously looking at the C63, what an amazing car. Worry about the cargo space after you have a family. Maybe you can get a SUV for your husband or your wife.
Old 04-10-08, 08:30 AM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Can you say that Mercedes has better resale value than Lexus? Do you think C300 will have better resale value than the Lexus RX350 in couple of years...

Just in case I trade for a E-Class (2010 model) or another SUV (compact ones...maybe the Q5 or GLK...)
Old 04-10-08, 08:31 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Junkxus
Trade The Rx350 For A Benz. Do It And Do Not Look Back. I Purchased A 08 Rx350 And It Has Been A Nightmare. I Tried Trading But The Resale Value Is Not That Great. The New C Is Great, I Attempted To Trade For A C300 4matic Loaded, But My Net Deal Was Over $9 Grand And My Rx (3 Dealers). The Other Offer Was A 08 Gs350 Awd Loaded For $9k And My Rx. I Have A Benz With Over 200k Miles And It Is Running Fine. We Refer To It As The "tiger Tank". I Eneded Up Trading My Yukon Xl Denali For A Bmw X5 So I Will Still Have An Suv When The Rx Is Traded. This Was Not My Original Plan. I Will Dump The Rx350 For The New 2010 E Class When It Comes Out In The Spring Of 2009. When The 2010 Rx (new Model) Comes Out In April Of 2009 The Current Model Will Look Old And The Resale Values Will Nose Dive!!! Dump It Now. I Will Dump Mine Before April 2009. The Benz Was Not Dead Last In Quality. Landrover Was! Benz Was 7. My Rx Has Been Worse Than Any Of My Cars, Except My Audi.
LOL .................
Old 04-10-08, 08:35 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Who cares about resale value. Just get the car you want. Having an SUV is just more convenient for those bulkier kid items and road trips.
Old 04-10-08, 09:36 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Who cares about resale value. Just get the car you want. Having an SUV is just more convenient for those bulkier kid items and road trips.
Agreed. The RX helps tremendously with kids and grocery stores, sams and cotsco items LOL
Old 04-10-08, 02:31 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

If you want the MB and don't need a SUV, get it and enjoy it. And i'm still laughing about the warning that you won't get objective advice from the MB forum. ture enough, but no bias here right?
Old 04-10-08, 02:42 PM
Boognish
Driver

I would always choose a car over an SUV if I didn't need the room, but I have to agree that you are taking a risk buying a MB. My father-in-law had an E class that was always in the shop.

Originally Posted by Junkxus
I Purchased A 08 Rx350 And It Has Been A Nightmare. I Tried Trading But The Resale Value Is Not That Great.
At the risk of feeding a troll, I think you are dead wrong on the resale value based on my observations.
Old 04-10-08, 09:57 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Just out of curiosity, I went down and drove an C350. What a piece of crap! This is a car with less interior room than a Civic. The interior looks like it was designed by a funeral director. Add this to a $44K price and reliability so bad that Consumers Reports will not even recommend it and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would buy one. This is the ultimate poser car for someone who thinks owning a Mercedes gives them status and can't afford a real Mercedes. The Infiniti G35 sedan is by far a better car and about $5K less. If you care more about what someone thinks about you by the brand of car you drive, then get the C300, but most real car enthusiasts will just laugh at you for this choice.
Steve
Old 04-13-08, 05:05 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Add this to a $44K price and reliability so bad that Consumers Reports will not even recommend it and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would buy one.
Interesting, the W204 C-Class is a brand new model for 2008. Where have you seen CR ratings for this car? What were the ratings for the new C?

Originally Posted by oldcajun
This is the ultimate poser car for someone who thinks owning a Mercedes gives them status and can't afford a real Mercedes.
So why isn't this a real Mercedes? B/c it's the entry level Mercedes? So are the IS or ES "poser" vehicles for people who can't afford a real Lexus...don't understand your comment
Old 04-13-08, 05:46 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

I have a 1994 C220, it is built like a tank and has 263K miles on it and still going. My 2006 E 4 matic has been trouble free for 18K and my 08 X5 with 1500 miles on it is great. My wifes 08 RX has had many issues, see my posts. All MB are real. If the C Class is not a real MB then what is it? That means the Junkxus models RX,GX,ES,LX are not real, thats right they are just Toymotors.

But I like the GS, and LS, as they are real Lexus cars.

I agree with INHOCJP.

Not to change the subject, but are more and more people posting quality problems with new Lexus cars?

Quick Reply: Trading RX350 for Mercedes C300