RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 12:39 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Lexus RX Suggestion

This is just a suggestion and I'd like to know what you think of it. Personally, I feel many people will be replacing large SUVs with Crossovers like the RX - mainly due to gas prices. I also think people would opt for an RX over vehicles like the LS due to added space and elevated seating position.

HOWEVER - the RX is not up to par with the LS. I feel that Lexus should have a premium version of the RX that costs around the same price as the LS with ALL the technology and amenities that the LS has.

I feel there's a market for a Crossover that rides as soft, as quietly and performs like the LS460L with every option and amenity it has. Currently, only the LS gives this experience. The GX and LX are truck-based. So they're not an option. But the RX is car-based - so this can be done.

My favorite Lexus is the LS - but if there were an LS-like RX available, than THAT would be my favorite Lexus...

Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-08, 04:49 AM
ZIN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally don't feel that at this time Lexus wants its RX to carry that type of sticker price however the new designed 2010 should have many of the bells and whistles of the newer Lexus vehicles. I hear what you are saying about perhaps another line of RX's with ALL the amenities of the top automobiles such as the LS but at this time I think the RX is doing so well in it's niche against it's competitors in other similar priced vehicles there will be no drastic changes in the RX
I think it's crazy that gas and everything else just goes higher but the automobile industry in my opinion is still putting out the big engine gas guzzlers large suvs and sedans so people must be buying them.
Old 04-19-08, 08:29 AM
Ivan330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Toyota Venza

I agree with Zin.

Also, IMHO, and this is more like thinking out loud, it seems Toyota/Lexus have the toyota CUV/SUV models which are "reiterated" to a Lexus CUV/SUV of same "type".
E.G.:
Highlander compares to RX,
GX compares to 4Runner,
LX compares to Sequoia.

So basically it seems that Lexus took the toyota's SUV/CUVs and made them into luxury vehicles. The two vehicles in toyota's SUV type lineup left over are the Rav4 and the upcoming Venza. (am I missing other toyota SUV/CUVs?)

Rav4 would be too small to remake into a Lexus, although could happen to be a nice economic luxury CUV if it would be a lexus version (V6 gets 21/28 mpg!). The Venza, by what I saw in its previews seems to borrow the exterior shape of the RX, but will be a toyota officially.

I think they are shooting at a "crossover crossover." Venza seems to be a CUV while having some/more style and luxury of a Lexus. And it will have two powertrains; a 3.5L v6 with 6-speed transmission, and a 2.7L 4-cyl - this comes closer to being an "economical RX".
link:http://www.toyoland.com/cars/venza.html

I think Toy/Lex does not want to compromise its sticker prices, and thus instead of making another type of lexus CUV, they come out with the Toyota version (Venza), without compromising Lexus "high standards" or whatever...

I am not sure if I got the point across. Again, just thinking out loud...

Cheers!
Old 04-19-08, 09:06 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Consider the likely possibility that the GX is gone. In that event, fill its place with a CUV that's SLIGHTLY larger than the RX (just like the LX is SLIGHTLY larger than the GX), have every option available and raise the price to LS levels.

There NEEDS to be a Lexus LS-level vehicle that's larger than a car... If Lexus doesn't build it, another brand will... This is the future...
Old 04-20-08, 06:11 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Any further thoughts or opinions?
Old 04-20-08, 07:03 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

mmm interesting proposal.

im not sure i would buy a 61 thousand dollar (base) RX. will all the bells and whistles, thats approaching towards 70K and at that price, i would get the LS. lol.

i think part of it is that SUV will always scream soccer mom and "middle class" while sedan screams luxury with its sleek lines. theres something built into the definition of premium sedan that cannot be transferred over to the SUV type. Consider valet parking at the Ritz. The cars your going to see in front that get the prime spots are going to be big luxury sedans.

however, im interested in seeing what the future will hold in this segment
Old 04-20-08, 07:12 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

LS is Lexus flagship .. this is where they can push the envelope and pricing wise they just have to offer more than say Mercedes flagship S class vehicles. RX on the other hand is the entry level SUV (cross over). It is also reflected in the volume of units sold. This makes RX very price-sensitive and the technology developed for the flagship takes a while to trickle down. So in 5 yrs of may be less, the things that are successful and cheaper to reproduce will make their way into RX. That will keep the cost low for RX.

Unlike as suggested a few posts ago. Here Toyota is moving down from Lexus Rx-> Highlander. [I am not putting down Highlander, but simply saying the RX rolled out first]

Personally I am amazed at the number of suv's offered by Lexus and Toyota.

Salim
Old 04-21-08, 12:14 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I'm thinking that since Lexus basically invented the Crossover SUV, they can re-invent it. Create an entirely new vehicle. New name and everything. Make it masculine, roomy, feature-rich (as much so as the LS), etcetera. Set the price high - and it won't be a soccer-mom vehicle. It'll basically be a very large car with a high seating position.
Old 04-21-08, 12:18 AM
RXSF

even though as you mentioned, the LX is truck based, it fits your criteria quite well. same 380 horses from a 5.7 V8, LS feature based, and high seating position. and more costly than the LS, lol
Old 04-21-08, 07:07 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
even though as you mentioned, the LX is truck based, it fits your criteria quite well. same 380 horses from a 5.7 V8, LS feature based, and high seating position. and more costly than the LS, lol
But it rides like a truck, making it not an option. And, it's not nearly as quiet as the LS...
Old 04-21-08, 08:28 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be possible that others want a large luxury SUV, but me personally I'm not into it. One of the reasons why we bought the RX330 over the MDX in the first place was little things like HID and power hatch, but most importently the size. The MDX was larger and wider and my wife didn't like that. The RX Class type SUV is the largerst SUV I'd ever buy. I only have 1 child so a regular car is large enough for me.
Old 04-21-08, 08:47 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I shouldn't be focusing on size. I think that was really an afterthought. What I'm feeling here is that there should be an RX-like vehicle that's AS luxurious as the LS. I think there's a market for (or there will be) vehicles the size of the RX with top-of-the-line luxury features.
Old 04-21-08, 09:53 AM
RXSF

i think your looking for an LS-wagon
Old 04-21-08, 09:58 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

It's the height that I appreciate most on the RX. I don't see full-size SUVs like the Escalade, Navigator and LX570 sticking around for very long. Eventually, they're going to sell in such limited quantities that it's not worth making them anymore. When that happens, more people will find themselves looking for RX sized vehicles unless they REALLY need something bigger. Most people don't need a full-size SUV. But many buy them. I think a good portion of people would appreciate a higher LS. But I seem to be alone on that line of thinking...
Old 04-23-08, 11:46 AM
fud
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if anyone would want to pay more for a Lexus. Especially the way gas price is going. We'll leave it to the American's (Ford, Chevy, Caddy's) to pump out the bigger cars. Personally, I think they need to revisit the QUALITY part before thinking about new models as my experience with my car is not all that good. If they want to come out with a more expensive model, then the price tag should include all service until 50k like BMW.