RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

10k Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 02:53 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jag,Benz and BMW use synthetic brake fluid and do not require service of the fluid for 100K miles. Maybe the quality of the brake components on those cars is of higher quality. As for the transmission fluid change I follow the manufactures rec. they designed and manufactured the car and I would think they would like you to have a car that is reliable for at least 100-150K miles. The coolant does not get changed until I think 100K. Remember the quality of the fluids (oil, brake, coolant) is far superior than just a few years ago. The dealers just want your money, and recommend additional service. I do not think the Lexus RX other components (body, interior etc.) will stand up to high mileage any way. I will dump it well with in the warranty period to eliminate any long term issues. Do as Lexus recommends to cover the warranty and save your money to purchase the new 2010 model as our RX models will look 10 years old when they release it. Three years or 30K miles for maximum trade, minimum loss.
Old 05-30-08, 03:10 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

Trade the RX at 3 years or 30K miles for maximum return, minimum loss and purchase a 2010 model as our RX models will look 10 years old when it is introduced. Do only the service that the manufacturer tells you to do. The stealership just wants to take your money. My Jag, Benz and BMW have all been maintained to the factory spec and I have had no maintenance related failures. I do not think the RX's body,paint and/or interior will not stand up well to high mileage even if over maintained.
Old 05-30-08, 03:21 PM
Boognish
Driver

Originally Posted by cdnewton
We have an '04 RX330, but I feel this still applies. We had our transmission serviced at 60K (the dealer said not to change it at the 30K interval) and it definitely needed to be changed. At the 90K flush, the fluid looked much better. I cannot imagine what the fluid would look like at 100K.
IF, and that's a big "IF", the vehicle is equipped with Toyota "ATF - WS" - World Standard Automatic Transmission Fluid, it merely needs inspecting at 100K miles and is allegedly designed to last the life of the transmission under per TSB TC008-07. The TSB infers that all Lexus with automatics have used this fluid since 2004, but does not explicitly say so. I have an outstanding question to Lexus on that one. Having said that, I am skeptical of any ATF lasting that long. The stuff gets darn hot!

Originally Posted by Junkxus
Jag,Benz and BMW use synthetic brake fluid and do not require service of the fluid for 100K miles. Maybe the quality of the brake components on those cars is of higher quality.
I will dump it well with in the warranty period to eliminate any long term issues.
If you plan to dump the vehicle, then I suppose nothing maintenance wise will affect you. Having said that, I'm with geko29 - I flush the brake fluid on all my vehicles every 2 years regardless of mileage with the only exception being if I am going to take the daily driver to the track. In that case she gets new fluid before, my track pads and new fluid after and back to the street pads. It just doesn't make any sense at all to avoid flushing your brake system because of the reason already mentioned: it is hydrophillic and your components will rust over time and prematurely fail. Imho, the most important thing in life is the ability to stop.
Old 05-30-08, 05:36 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Boognish
IF, and that's a big "IF", the vehicle is equipped with Toyota "ATF - WS" - World Standard Automatic Transmission Fluid, it merely needs inspecting at 100K miles and is allegedly designed to last the life of the transmission under per TSB TC008-07. The TSB infers that all Lexus with automatics have used this fluid since 2004, but does not explicitly say so. I have an outstanding question to Lexus on that one. Having said that, I am skeptical of any ATF lasting that long. The stuff gets darn hot!

My 04 RX330 has Toyota Type IV fluid in it now and that's what the manual said to put in it.

I am not familiar with the ATF - WS, is that the same stuff?
Old 05-30-08, 07:20 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkxus
Jag,Benz and BMW use synthetic brake fluid and do not require service of the fluid for 100K miles. Maybe the quality of the brake components on those cars is of higher quality.
I can't speak for Jaguar and Mercedes, but I know for a fact BMW specifies a two-year interval for its brake fluid, despite using the best possible synthetic factory fill (ATE Super Gold). I have one (and do all its maintenance), so I'm quite familiar with its requirements.

Actually, scratch that, I can speak for Mercedes. I just did a spot check of a 2002 C230 and 2007 E350, and both dictate brake fluid changes every two years. If you look up a Jaguar schedule, I guarantee they'll say the exact same thing. I'm afraid you're completely mistaken here.
Old 05-31-08, 02:36 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (water absorbing) not hydrophilic (correct spelling) (being able to dissolve in water). Just want to make it clear. I use only ATE brake fluid. My 300 TD wagon had over 425K miles on only one fluid change! My E class has had two brake fluid changes in 200K, no issues. My Z3 3.0 has had no brake fluid changes in 25K miles. Thinking about it, you are correct to change it. Minimal cost. I will purchase a one man top bleeder and will not even get dirty doing it.
Old 09-08-08, 06:35 PM
solar5000
Driver School Candidate

Default oil changes are running ME into the ground

Originally Posted by lbc99
My Lexus dealer charged $85 for the same service yesterday. I got a 2007 Lexus RX Hybrid loaner and they washed my SUV which had bugs all over the front having returned from a trip! Wash would have cost $12 at car wash!
Wow, wow. I just paid $130 for my "service" at 10000 for my '08 350. Unbelievable. I'm going to have to call toyota dealerships around here. I'm in boston.