RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

10k Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 08:06 AM
lbc99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10k Maintenance

I misplaced my manual and would like to know what is required at 10,000 miles for a 2008 RX 350 before I call for service.

Thanks

ps I tried to look this up on the Lexus website, but it kept requesting that I input a security question and answer before it would allow me to look at maintenance requirements. However, the "update" process didn't work because even after I input my question and answer and then tried to go to the maintenance section it would again ask for the security question and answer. It was a circle without resolution.
Old 05-07-08, 01:40 PM
ZIN
Driver

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ded&pid=278624
Old 05-07-08, 03:28 PM
tjain
Driver

Here you go.Official Lexus maintenance Guide
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus_maintenance_schedule.pdf (211.0 KB, 374 views)
Old 05-07-08, 05:18 PM
lbc99
Rookie

Thank you for the pdf file!!
Old 05-08-08, 03:19 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default What you are getting is a $40 oil change and an air filter you don't need

Just keep receipts for oil changes and NEVER NEVER NEVER get dealer scheduled maintenance, it is a rip. Read the maintenance items in your manual. There are things such as coolant, tranny oil and brake fluid changes that are necessary. Just ask that they be done when you have an oil change. Otherwise you will end up spending thousands, literally, for oil changes. Just read you maintenance manual and apply some common sense.
Old 05-08-08, 03:55 PM
kent912
Driver School Candidate

My 08 RX 350 is also needing the 10k maintenance pretty soon. Someone from the link above suggested going to a Toyota dealer for the oil change. Has anyone done that? Aren't they going to look at your funny? There is actually a toyota dealer within walking distance to my work place so it will be very convenient.

Thanks
Old 05-08-08, 07:18 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kent912
My 08 RX 350 is also needing the 10k maintenance pretty soon. Someone from the link above suggested going to a Toyota dealer for the oil change. Has anyone done that? Aren't they going to look at your funny? There is actually a toyota dealer within walking distance to my work place so it will be very convenient.

Thanks
I take my ES 330 to boch toyota south for service and they have never looked at me funny but are always cordial to me. But this dealership also actively advertises that they will service lexus cars too. Great prices too. I have a 30k service coming up and they are going to flush/bleed the brake fluid and transmission fluid, change out the air and cabin air filters, change oil and rotate/balance tires all for less than $250.
Old 05-09-08, 08:04 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Hold on I said don't have dealer do "Scheduled" maintenance not

that you couldn't have oil changes done there. Actually, there is an advantage to the dealer doing an oil change in that they do a decent inspection anyway in trying to one- assure the vehicle is safe and two- to see if they can drum up some more work while they got it.

My dealer does an oil change for about $40. And, basically they check everything they would check if you paid for a normal maintenance that alternatively would have cost you $225 or so. Like I indicated before, check your maintenance manual and specifically ask for additional services like transmission, coolant or brake fluid changes and pay for them as seperate items not part of a "scheduled" maintenance.
Old 05-09-08, 02:54 PM
BBHanks
Rookie

Originally Posted by kent912

Thanks
I take my 07 RX350 to a Toyota dealer every 5k miles for oil changes..Only time it's been to a Lexus dealer was the FREE 5k oil change..I now have 28k on it. Toyota only charges $31 out the door..
Old 05-09-08, 05:55 PM
CTtech
Driver School Candidate

I just took my 08 to my local Toyota dealer, in for its 10,000 mile service. They go by the book. The 10,000 is basically an oil change, rotate tires and standard inspection. this service with synthetic oil change was $70.00. This was a no-brainer, compared to the $170.00 my Lexus dealer wanted for the exact same service, even the oil and parts are the same. Only things I didn't get, a loaner, car wash, and the info wasn't posted on the Lexus owners website. I keep receipts for records, prefer to wash it myself by hand and since it was in town on my day off, no loaner needed.
Old 05-10-08, 05:38 AM
lbc99
Rookie

Originally Posted by CTtech
I just took my 08 to my local Toyota dealer, in for its 10,000 mile service. They go by the book. The 10,000 is basically an oil change, rotate tires and standard inspection. this service with synthetic oil change was $70.00. This was a no-brainer, compared to the $170.00 my Lexus dealer wanted for the exact same service, even the oil and parts are the same. Only things I didn't get, a loaner, car wash, and the info wasn't posted on the Lexus owners website. I keep receipts for records, prefer to wash it myself by hand and since it was in town on my day off, no loaner needed.
My Lexus dealer charged $85 for the same service yesterday. I got a 2007 Lexus RX Hybrid loaner and they washed my SUV which had bugs all over the front having returned from a trip! Wash would have cost $12 at car wash!
Old 05-28-08, 04:24 PM
teamtbo
Driver School Candidate

Default Too much $$

I just got quoted $260 for the 10,000 service at my local Lexus dealership!!
Old 05-29-08, 03:32 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

According to my RX owners book: Oil and filter change, tire rotation, that is all under normal driving conditions. I would do it yourself and take the wife or girl friend out with the savings! A Lexus filter for 3.5L is $4.12 each 7 quarts of a quality synthetic oil (Mobil, Penzoil, etc.) $28. (the dealer uses cheap dino oil). The cabin filter does not need to be changed until I think 30K with the brake fluid, at that point I would change the brake fluid to synthetic and not change it again. I think the transmission service is not until 100K under normal driving. I follow the book on all my cars and have driven over 200K on my gas Benz. (that car even has a power steering filter!) I find self maintenance very rewarding mentally and financially.
Old 05-29-08, 06:40 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkxus
The cabin filter does not need to be changed until I think 30K with the brake fluid, at that point I would change the brake fluid to synthetic and not change it again.
This is a colossally bad idea, one that will probably wind up costing you $5k if you keep the car long enough. There are two reasons brake fluid needs to be changed every few years: the fluid near the calipers can boil during repeated heavy braking and lose its effectiveness; and it's hydrophillic, meaning it absorbs water.

Synthetic fluid helps you with the first. It's more difficult (though nowhere near impossible) to boil it compared with regular fluid, assuming you get a top-shelf one like ATE Super or Motul. However, synthetic fluid absorbs just as much water as conventional does, and that water eventually rusts and destroys unimportant parts of your brake system such as your master cylinder and your ABS unit. Those puppies are NOT cheap to replace when they fail.
Old 05-29-08, 07:45 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkxus
I think the transmission service is not until 100K under normal driving.

We have an '04 RX330, but I feel this still applies. We had our transmission serviced at 60K (the dealer said not to change it at the 30K interval) and it definitely needed to be changed. At the 90K flush, the fluid looked much better. I cannot imagine what the fluid would look like at 100K.

Quick Reply: 10k Maintenance