RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Invoice Deal - Yahoo

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 02:26 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invoice Deal - Yahoo

Dealer has agreed to sell us a '09 RX at invoice price. We will try to seal the deal tomorrow as we have been using the internet to set it up.

Any ideas as to what to watch out for?
Old 05-14-08, 02:50 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Dealer has agreed to sell us a '09 RX at invoice price. We will try to seal the deal tomorrow as we have been using the internet to set it up.

Any ideas as to what to watch out for?
Post the invoice price and the options you are getting. Congrats and Good Luck tomorrow.
Old 05-14-08, 03:32 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like a great deal. I paid about what Edmunds True Market Value was for my 08 RX350 which is about $13-1400 over invoice in my area. Of course there is only one Lexus dealer for the whole state and I may have been able to save about $500 if I bought one in Dallas, 330 miles down the road.
Old 05-14-08, 04:19 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Just hoping this dealer is honest & not just telling a story to get us in the door.
If that is the case, on to the next dealer.

If not I will post the results. We want the Performance Package which he says has a 60 day wait. That is OK with us if the price is right.

Wonder if they will low ball us on our trade? Edmunds & KBB show much different prices today. Trade is clean but has 87K. Has new brakes & good tires. If we can't get around 20K may just have to cancel the deal too.
Old 05-14-08, 04:33 PM
ZIN
Driver

Well I have not heard of anyone getting invoice as of yet but I hope the best for you. I did get $675.00 over two months ago when there still were a few scattered 08's still around. Good luck
Old 05-14-08, 05:21 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

XFC, step one, make the deal on the new RX. Do not talk trade at this point. If you can get it at invoice (go to Edmunds or KBB to find invoice for your RX and the options you want) jump on it. Step two, you are only going to get the wholesale value of your trade. Don't expect any more than this. If you want more than you will need to sell your trade yourself. This is not a big deal and you will save several thousand dollars. Basic rule of thumb is that you can always sell your current vehicle for at least $2000 more than the wholesale price.
Old 05-14-08, 05:36 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

I have a 2008 AWD RX350. If I got a 2009 model with the same options here is how Edmunds has it listed:

2009 Lexus RX 350
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
What Others
Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
National Base Price
A note about advertising fees $38,900 $34,427 $36,653
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code Change - - -$104
Optional Equipment $3,666 $3,106 $3,371
PT Premium Plus Package $2,060 $1,854 $1,952
HH Heated Front Seats w/Rain Sensing Wipers $665 $532 $595
FV Liquid Graphite Finish 18" 7-Spoke Aluminum Alloy Wheels $605 $484 $541
TO Towing Prep Package $160 $128 $143
C1 Trunk Mat $95 $57 $75
WL Wheel Locks $81 $51 $65
Color Adjustment - - -$24
Classic Silver Metallic
Destination Charge $765 $765 $765
Total with Options $43,331(MSRP) $38,298(INVOICE) $40,661(TMV)

I paid around $40,100 for my 2008.

Good Luck
Old 05-14-08, 06:47 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Good luck, but the best poker face will win the deck! Be ready to walk away. If you are not....you lose. Then again, to each his own. Just be happy with the purchase, no matter what. Money can be earned. Dismay, distrust is another.....
Old 05-15-08, 01:25 AM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

oh boy, there's lots to look out for! for one, the dealership most definitely has a rebate price for its "volume sales". We found this out post purchase. We bought our 2009 a month ago for 500 above invoice. nevertheless, i learned that it was possible to go even lower! LOWER than invoice...but i'm guessing that's pretty tough to do...good luck!

btw make sure to do a test run with your NEW RX before purchasing; make sure of the rattles!
Old 05-15-08, 04:48 AM
rklages
Pole Position

Good price, but they will definitely low ball you on the trade - a good starting point on the trade is kbb fair trade is usually about as much as a dealer will offer and I bet they go lower, so get ready to deal and post back because the bad news is you are looking at 13-15k as a good price on a trade. You might want to consider a private sale, the going rate seems to be in the 19-20k range on private sale stuff and on ebay.

Good Luck - I always hate getting the price on the trade!
Old 05-15-08, 05:10 AM
ZIN
Driver

As stated above make the deal on your 09 first then say lets see what you will give me on my trade. They will probably say $16,000 but will be willing to go up to $17,500 is my guess. You should be able to get very close to $20.000 selling it yourself as many people would buy a good used Lexus for $20,000.
Just remember the taxes you will save by trading it in and figure out which is the better deal.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-15-08, 06:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am the opposite when it comes to trade in value. I alway negociate the new car price at the same time as the trade in. I negociate the diff. of the 2 price. As all of you know, many times, a dealer will give you a low price on a new car then turn around and make up the diff with the trade in. I find that recently, the edmunds trade is value have been more accurate than KBB when you compare it to wholesale value. Zin is right, if retail is $20000 for your old RX, then the dealer has to make some money off your trade in. Usually its $3000 or so, therefore, my bet is they will offer you $17000.
Old 05-15-08, 08:12 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just made a purchase of a "left over" 2008 RX350 FWD with no Nav but with most of the other nice options. The dealer in Georgia already had it "marked down" to move it. I am sure the Lexus dealer rebate (thru 03/31 - I think) came into play. I too had a trade and always just focus on the difference between the new car and the trade. On paper I think they can make the deal look better or worst for the trade by moving the purchase price of the car up or down. Up and give you more money for the trade or down and give you less. The difference is all that matters. I did go to CarMax first and get a purchase price for the trade so it was like having cash. Any time you trade I think you leave 1k to 3k on the table - is it worth it to you not to have to sell it?

I must admit that I buy a car every few years so I suspect the more experienced car sales person that does this daily knows all the different ways to make a deal work. Some like to see more trade value while others like to see the new car go for dealer cost or below. I know there are others that just want to know what the monthly note is going to be.

Go armed with all the facts you can find and pull together. If you have a CarMax close find out what they will purchase the car for (wholesale) so you know the true trade value of your "old" car.
Old 05-15-08, 08:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRXOwner
I just made a purchase of a "left over" 2008 RX350 FWD with no Nav but with most of the other nice options. The dealer in Georgia already had it "marked down" to move it. I am sure the Lexus dealer rebate (thru 03/31 - I think) came into play. I too had a trade and always just focus on the difference between the new car and the trade. On paper I think they can make the deal look better or worst for the trade by moving the purchase price of the car up or down. Up and give you more money for the trade or down and give you less. The difference is all that matters. I did go to CarMax first and get a purchase price for the trade so it was like having cash. Any time you trade I think you leave 1k to 3k on the table - is it worth it to you not to have to sell it?

I must admit that I buy a car every few years so I suspect the more experienced car sales person that does this daily knows all the different ways to make a deal work. Some like to see more trade value while others like to see the new car go for dealer cost or below. I know there are others that just want to know what the monthly note is going to be.

Go armed with all the facts you can find and pull together. If you have a CarMax close find out what they will purchase the car for (wholesale) so you know the true trade value of your "old" car.
Which GA dealer did you go to, if I may ask? Thanks.
Old 05-15-08, 09:21 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which GA dealer did you go to, if I may ask? Thanks.

Nalley Lexus on Highway 41 - I worked with Denny, (Not Crain) Denny Galloway.

Quick Reply: Invoice Deal - Yahoo