RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Chicago/North Suburb Buying Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 09:11 PM
ks-man
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago/North Suburb Buying Experiences

Was wondering if anybody has recently gotten a 2009 RX350 in Chicago or the North suburbs.

I'll be soon looking to buy or lease one and I want to see what I can expect the dealers to go to. In my car buying experiences the people in CA are able to get for invoice or $500 above but that is a big struggle in the midwest. Also if there is a particular dealer that you were successful with please post or PM me.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-20-08, 06:03 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ks-man
Was wondering if anybody has recently gotten a 2009 RX350 in Chicago or the North suburbs.

I'll be soon looking to buy or lease one and I want to see what I can expect the dealers to go to. In my car buying experiences the people in CA are able to get for invoice or $500 above but that is a big struggle in the midwest. Also if there is a particular dealer that you were successful with please post or PM me.

Thanks for the help.
I’ve purchased our 2008 in December. Not exactly the year you are looking for, but…
Couple of steps that I took (may help you):
1.Emailed to 4 dealers with exact model/spec/options/color I wanted to buy (Premium Pac, NAV, MSRP about $46K),
2.Stated in email what I will trade-in – model, year, condition, options, etc.
3.Received 3 very encouraging replies, and one 50/50,
4.Good responds ---> easy negotiation on final $$ and trade-in $$

I ended up buying from Lexus Highland Park. No pressure, great experience, best trade-in offer (exceeded my expectations). As I recall, I paid about $300 over invoice.
If you plan to trade in your current vehicle, I also suggest apprizing it (free of charge) at Car Max. Their appraisal is valid for 7 days or 300 miles.
Old 05-20-08, 06:27 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Woodfield Lexus Good prices on vehicles and service.

http://www.woodfield-lexus.com
Old 05-20-08, 09:41 AM
rmgmag
Driver School Candidate

Back in Feb 2008 I purchased a 2008 RX 350 from Woodfield Lexus.

I first e mailed them with what I was looking for and they responded instantly. I set up an appointment later that week and was out the door in less then 3 hours.

It has every feature except the rear entertaiment center.

Sticker was $46,700 I believe.

Sales person came back with $42,500.

I counter offered at $40,500 and drive out that same day.

No hassle or pressure to buy any "extras".
Old 05-20-08, 02:16 PM
ZIN
Driver

I just purchased an 09 pretty loaded and paid $670.00 over invoice in Highland Park two months ago. I was offered $1000 over from the start. If you need anymore info just pm me.
Old 05-20-08, 04:17 PM
ks-man
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I was planning on going to the places mentioned here (HP, Woodfield, Mcgrath Chicago, and Glenview). I also plan on going to CarMax to have our trade in appraised first.

Is it smarter to first e-mail the dealership with what we are looking for (pretty standard stuff with NAV included) or should we just show up to the dealership and ask in person?

Also with the NAV will we have to get the liquid graphite wheels? One of the dealers when we went for a test drive (McGrath) said that you have to get that if getting NAV (as well as Trunk Mat and Wheel locks). I'll of course try to negotiate those down but it would be easier if they weren't even included.

Also do any of the above dealers offer extra perks that we should keep in mind such as free car washers or free loaners with service?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-20-08, 07:58 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

They all offer free car washes and loaners on service calls longer than 1 hour. If you will need loaner for service that is less than 1 hour, they will do it.
Old 05-20-08, 08:44 PM
ks-man
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lex,

As to my other question regarding if I should e-mail what we are looking for and get quotes beforehand or just show up at the dealer, why did you feel the e-mail approach was a better first step than just showing up?

Is it possible that dealers see internet savvy customers as one who are familiar with the car buying process? Could this get a better initial first offer?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-21-08, 05:55 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

An educated consumer is their worst nightmare. Be one. You will get the deal you want and there are dealers who value educated consumers believe it or not. One of these days, you put an order, you get the car delivered, no haggling.
Old 05-21-08, 05:58 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ks-man
Thanks Lex,

As to my other question regarding if I should e-mail what we are looking for and get quotes beforehand or just show up at the dealer, why did you feel the e-mail approach was a better first step than just showing up?

Is it possible that dealers see internet savvy customers as one who are familiar with the car buying process? Could this get a better initial first offer?

Thanks again for all the help.
I would definitely email to several dealers for their quote. This way you kill couple birds with one stone:
- You let them know that you are serious and patient and let them know details up front, so they have chance to consider all,
- They know that you are in contact with couple/three dealers and are looking for nice deal. You have to mention in your email that they compete against somebody else (do not state specifics though).
- You don’t feel pressure, they do. They need to make sure that you will come to them, not to competitor, so here comes sweet deal offer…

Incidentally, HP Lexus was the only one who emailed me specifics of the offer without first trying to lure me in for negotiations and pressure. My buying experience with them was near 100% perfect. It took just under 1 hour to complete all paperwork.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-08, 02:52 PM
ks-man
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
I would definitely email to several dealers for their quote. This way you kill couple birds with one stone:
- You let them know that you are serious and patient and let them know details up front, so they have chance to consider all,
- They know that you are in contact with couple/three dealers and are looking for nice deal. You have to mention in your email that they compete against somebody else (do not state specifics though).
- You don’t feel pressure, they do. They need to make sure that you will come to them, not to competitor, so here comes sweet deal offer…

Incidentally, HP Lexus was the only one who emailed me specifics of the offer without first trying to lure me in for negotiations and pressure. My buying experience with them was near 100% perfect. It took just under 1 hour to complete all paperwork.

Good luck.
Well, I sent 4 local dealers an e-mail yesterday with exact specs of what we are looking for requesting a price. Unfortunately I didn't get a single response so I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and bargain hard face-to-face.

Do people think that SUVs are in low demand b/c of the current price of gas and is that a topic I should mention in negotiations?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-08, 05:12 AM
ZIN
Driver

It doesn't matter all the things that you say as stated above contact the dealer and remember the sales persons name and let them know you are ready to pull the trigger NOW. You go in with your info and tell them what you are willing to pay just remember they want to make a sale. With all the info around here nobody should worry about getting a good deal just push the envelope one notch further.
Old 05-23-08, 07:54 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sales Are Down

Originally Posted by ZIN
It doesn't matter all the things that you say as stated above contact the dealer and remember the sales persons name and let them know you are ready to pull the trigger NOW. You go in with your info and tell them what you are willing to pay just remember they want to make a sale. With all the info around here nobody should worry about getting a good deal just push the envelope one notch further.
Just bought a '09 RX with almost all the goodies for Invoice. They started out higher but after 3 hrs. they went invoice.

Yes, we did start on the internet with the dealer & ask if they would sell at or near invoice. got the answer in about 1/2 hr. Went in the next day & sealed the deal. Love our new RX.