RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Not So Great News

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 03:14 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not So Great News

You guys will not believe this. My second new RX was doing great but has now developed two problems. One is a dash rattle in the front right by the wind shield, the second and even more concerning is a leak at the rear diff. The new RX has only 627 miles on it! What the heck is going on?

I was at the local clam shack yesterday and was talking to a husband and wife in their mid sixties who liked my RX, and were driving a 2008 Highlander hy-bred. They also said with less than 1500 miles on it that they have a lot of problems, a clunk in the front end, sunroof leak, hatch rattle and the silver paint on the entire car looked like the primer was showing through! They were having a meeting with Toyota area rep. in early June. They had a 2005 Avalon before this and said they had no issues in over 30K miles. I kind of think Toyota/Lexus are slipping into the Ford/GM mode of quantity over quality.

I will keep you posted on the leak problem.

Any one having brake booster problems with noise or internal fluid loss on 07 or 08 RX AWD models?

Last edited by Junkxus; 05-29-08 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-29-08, 04:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

while there are some tell tale signs of toyota dropping in quality, its really not as bad as other makes. lexus is still up top in terms on overal and long term quality. i dont know what to say.
Old 05-30-08, 02:36 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

The diff. leak was a "...Shaft seal" They replaced it today. The dash rattle is something to do with the windshield. It will have to go back next week for this repair. The service writer tells me that warranty service work is up over 28% from 18 months ago!
Old 05-30-08, 06:48 PM
troz350
Driver School Candidate

Just curious is your RX made in Japan or Canada?
Old 05-30-08, 09:46 PM
RXSF

almost certain its made in Canada. the only RXs made in japan are the hybrid model and the ones with the burgandy wine color
Old 05-30-08, 10:58 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by troz350
I was going to ask that question too! So, Junksus....Japan or Canada?

Mine is made in Japan. Seems like everyone has the dash rattle. I got my entire dash replaced under warranty and the noise is gone! It hasn't come back over a year...Knock on wood.

Last edited by Lextranny; 05-30-08 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-30-08, 11:33 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that Japanese RXs are better (built) than Canadian
Old 05-30-08, 11:59 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Here we go again!

Salim
Old 05-31-08, 12:28 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey guys let's not get off on this topic again, it just goes nowhere. Do a quick search and you'll find all kinds of threads hijacked by the relative merits of Canadian or Japanese manufacturing, both here and on the RX 300 forums.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172730

Last edited by Lil4X; 05-31-08 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-31-08, 02:39 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Yes, Both 08 RX350 were built in Canada by unemployed GM and Ford workers. I just can not believe that Lexus has issues like rattles in the same model for years and years.
Old 05-31-08, 04:15 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should go and purchase a X5 and be done with the RX350.
Old 05-31-08, 05:33 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

I already have a 2008 X5 and a Z3 3.0. My wife has the 08 RX350 and a Jaguar. My son drives my old E-Class with over 200K miles. I have to say that the RX and Lexus in general is over rated. I drove a 08 GS350 AWD and for $50K+ it is way, way over priced for what it is. I guess I will dump it for an X3 or the new X6 BMW. You get what you pay for. I saved a bunch on the RX, but now will spend a bunch more to dump it. I do not think I will ever purchase a Lexus product again. They just seem like a tin box and to down market.
Old 05-31-08, 11:01 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Junkxus
You guys will not believe this. My second new RX was doing great but has now developed two problems. One is a dash rattle in the front right by the wind shield, the second and even more concerning is a leak at the rear diff. The new RX has only 627 miles on it! What the heck is going on?

I was at the local clam shack yesterday and was talking to a husband and wife in their mid sixties who liked my RX, and were driving a 2008 Highlander hy-bred. They also said with less than 1500 miles on it that they have a lot of problems, a clunk in the front end, sunroof leak, hatch rattle and the silver paint on the entire car looked like the primer was showing through! They were having a meeting with Toyota area rep. in early June. They had a 2005 Avalon before this and said they had no issues in over 30K miles. I kind of think Toyota/Lexus are slipping into the Ford/GM mode of quantity over quality.

I will keep you posted on the leak problem.

Any one having brake booster problems with noise or internal fluid loss on 07 or 08 RX AWD models?
sounds like you are geting typical problems. at least thats what the service techs have told me at the local dealer.

Originally Posted by troz350
not again. mine came from japan and has had a lot of problems, a lot.

Originally Posted by Lextranny
I was going to ask that question too! So, Junksus....Japan or Canada?

Mine is made in Japan. Seems like everyone has the dash rattle. I got my entire dash replaced under warranty and the noise is gone! It hasn't come back over a year...Knock on wood.
i never had the dash rattle which is amazing considering i have two 12" subs and i listen to my music loud most of the time im driving. no rattling yet. almost every other problem, check.

Originally Posted by lu1de
I've heard that Japanese RXs are better (built) than Canadian
i seriously doubt it makes any difference. i know two other people that have rx's one is from japan like mine and the other from canada, no difference in problems.
Old 05-31-08, 11:01 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkxus
I already have a 2008 X5 and a Z3 3.0. My wife has the 08 RX350 and a Jaguar. My son drives my old E-Class with over 200K miles. I have to say that the RX and Lexus in general is over rated. I drove a 08 GS350 AWD and for $50K+ it is way, way over priced for what it is. I guess I will dump it for an X3 or the new X6 BMW. You get what you pay for. I saved a bunch on the RX, but now will spend a bunch more to dump it. I do not think I will ever purchase a Lexus product again. They just seem like a tin box and to down market.
Interesting. My experience has been the reverse. BMW in particular is overrated and quality in the toilet IME (or at least the Bimmer I had was a POS). Mercedes quality has been in the lowest levels for years but they may be starting to get their act together. Audi quality is pretty high.

I'm on my 3rd Lexus and the quality is streets ahead of the Germans IME. All Aussie Lexus are Japanese made. All "German" vehicles are certainly not made in Germany that's for sure. As for Lexus being downmarket? Who knows but typically European car drivers (myself included - I used to drive Audi's and the 1 solitary BMW POS I owned and still own a Porsche) tend to be "badge snobs" to a greater or lesser degree IMHO. A former German girlfriend of mine was fond of pointing out that BMW and MB are used as taxi's in Germany!

The basic criteria for any vehicle is that the owner must be satisfied with it. Vehicle ownership is very emotive.
Old 05-31-08, 01:37 PM
RXSF

i agree with harley. im on my third lexus, and it definately wont be the last. i havent bought a german car in a good 14 years and im eternally grateful that lexus cars have shown up at my doorstep. i havent had a single rattle with my RX from 2004 and its a first year model too. nothing but great experiences.

Quick Reply: Not So Great News