RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX-350 Fuel Octane Rating

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 01:23 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but I too get 1 1/2 to 2 MPG better with 93 Octane. When it is only 10 cents more then midgrade I go for it.
Old 09-16-08, 04:46 PM
AV8R_BOB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
I just wonder how long the premium fuel is siting in their tanks now,due to cost hike?At least you know the regular is fresh.
That is another one of my concerns with premium. I read a report indicating something like 5% of gas sales are premium and typical turnover rates at the gas station are much lower for premium, i.e. it's older when you buy it.
Old 09-16-08, 04:48 PM
AV8R_BOB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MARINE
Well if you use 87 and the manual says premium and if premium is available in your area and your knock causes engine damage.....bet you a price of a new car, Lexus will have your gas tested and determine if you ran premium, if not, YOU would be held responsible as the warranty is void. Is it worth the hassle? I can tell you the extra for premium you paid in five years wont even dent any major engine damage costs.

That's true, at 15,000 mi/yr the extra cost of premium amounts to about $200/yr.
Old 09-16-08, 04:51 PM
AV8R_BOB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
My RX300 has never pinged once in its 130K miles with 87 octane, up or down hills.

My old GM PoS used to ping like a mo fo. Pinging is an engine defect that carmakers don't want to fix during the warranty period. So they call it normal. Typically it's caused by the engine not fully burning the fuel, leaving carbon deposit behind.
Actually that's not correct. Pinging is pre-ignition (fires too early).
Old 09-16-08, 05:00 PM
AV8R_BOB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Not to rain on your parade but I also own an 04 Highlander Limited and it gets better mileage with premium. About 1.5 mpg better similar to my RX330. So continue on with your discussion but I get better performance and mileage with premium. That's all I need to know to make my choice.
What octane is that engine rated for? If regular 87, then running premium will NOT get you better MPG. You may THINK you are, but it's not.

Also for any MPG test to be valid, you must run two tests running the same route under the same conditions (outside temp, vehicle weight, etc). Ideally it should even be a blind test so you don't know what's in the tank, lest that affect how you drive. If you are just checking MPG during your normal driving around, that's not a good test and I'd discount a 1.5 mpg difference.
Old 09-16-08, 05:04 PM
AV8R_BOB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AM1
well i dunno, cuz super high compression engines, turbo, supercharged, engines running nitrous, benefit from higher octane, does vvti count?
That's true, because a higher compression ratio requires higher octane to avoid pre-ignition. But if the engine has a compression ratio that only requires 87 for proper ignition then burning higher octane gas has NO benefit.
Old 09-16-08, 05:21 PM
AV8R_BOB
Driver School Candidate

Oh boy,no more comments on this anymore.
Strange, no one is forcing me to read any of this.

But I will ask you this AV8R, how can negative timing be any good at all to an internal combustion engine? Please explain that to me? It defies the law of physics on itself,meaning less power,etc. If Lexus truely did map their ecms to run best on premium,lets not forget to mention the high compression(I know you can use regular)you can bet,it will run its best on higher octane fuel.Or,it will retard timing,and not perform like it was designed to.
All that is true, IF Lexus has designed the engine to run on premium. But I think you are missing my point... I'm trying to determine if in fact the engine does require premium or not. I am not saying that if the engine is designed to run premium then I want to run regular. That would not be smart.

Again, the apparently identical engine in the Highlander is rated for 87. If the Lexus engine is in fact the same as the Highlander's, then that means it can burn 87 also with no adverse effects. That also means the premium spec has some motivation behind it other than engineering.

The sales rep sent me another email today saying he and others have asked Lexus the same questions but don't get any answers.
Old 09-16-08, 05:25 PM
AV8R_BOB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I should let you all know that I in my RX300 effective a Sunday I began a trial run on 87 octane Chevron. Now, I do have a few things like a modified exhaust and especially the crankcase vent filters (that do a have a direct effect on octane) in order to measure mpg and I'll be able to know about other performance based on experience. Thus far after an ECU reset via the battery, the vehicle doesn't quite pack the punch that it does on acceleration, but no pinging or other issue otherwise. Actual time MPG appears to be the same, but I am waiting to do a bit of expressway/highway mileage tonight to verify. This is the first time in a long time (except for some brief tests in Mexico) that I have done this.
What octane does the book require in that vehicle? I "think" it's regular. If so, you should not see any difference in MPG or performance running higher octane assuming you run a good test.
Old 09-16-08, 05:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The only real advantage I have really heard about is when using low octane at higher altitudes, such as when I lived in Mexico City (but the low octane gas there had a load of sulfur in it and after losing one precat and one regular cat when I was basically forced into a situation where I had to use it it was basically on my s... list except for a few experiments).
Old 09-16-08, 05:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AV8R_BOB
What octane does the book require in that vehicle? I "think" it's regular. If so, you should not see any difference in MPG or performance running higher octane assuming you run a good test.
I welcome your comments and welcome to the Club.

My RX300 is quite a bit modified so I am going to run a test on 87 octane (Chevron) for a bit to see what if any difference I notice, keeping an open mind, and reporting back results.

Just found my manual in some boxes,

On the back cover it states:

Fuel selection:

Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating 91 (Research Octane Rating 96) or higher is recommended.

Last edited by Lexmex; 09-16-08 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-16-08, 07:53 PM
MARINE
Driver

And the 2008 IS250/350, 2008 ES350, 2007 RX350, ES350 manuals all say these choice words :

Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 may result in engine knocking and significantly reduced performance. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline.

It also states 87 may be used if 91 is not available. Tell that to Lexus HQ when they void the warranty repair. Unless you live in another country, premium is nationwide. Why take chances for a few cents more?

Would you not want your car to run at optimum performance?

If putting 87 in your car makes you happy, IMHO, buy a yugo

I know, I had ALL the models stated in my siggy. Run 87 and get peepee (wouldnt want to use stronger language lol) mileage and peformance.
Old 09-16-08, 09:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I think for many it's an economic issue. Although we are fortunate to have a luxury vehicle in our Lexuses, I know quite a few people who got themselves in a pickle and our trying to make ends meet (through no financial fault of their own, but just the economy) and watching both how they drive and what they can afford to put into their tank. That's one reason I am running my test with 87 to see for myself what the effect is not just for myself, but also for the benefit of the group. Ideally, I've always tried to give my RX300 (especially when I was in Mexico) the finest in fluids that I could get handily, though I had really no choice (except for some racing gasolines) but nationalized gasoline. I can still afford Super Unleaded, but because of the unique modifications I have on my RX, I am very curious to see their effect with 87 octane at sea level.
Old 09-16-08, 10:44 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's true, because a higher compression ratio requires higher octane to avoid pre-ignition. But if the engine has a compression ratio that only requires 87 for proper ignition then burning higher octane gas has NO benefit.
i agree with you on that, my original post i was being quasi-facetious, since saying what i really think will probably spark a war like it did months ago.

Strange, no one is forcing me to read any of this.

All that is true, IF Lexus has designed the engine to run on premium. But I think you are missing my point... I'm trying to determine if in fact the engine does require premium or not. I am not saying that if the engine is designed to run premium then I want to run regular. That would not be smart.

Again, the apparently identical engine in the Highlander is rated for 87. If the Lexus engine is in fact the same as the Highlander's, then that means it can burn 87 also with no adverse effects. That also means the premium spec has some motivation behind it other than engineering.

The sales rep sent me another email today saying he and others have asked Lexus the same questions but don't get any answers.
i asked my service advisor that and he said the same thing, they really dont have an answer for it, they just said we know that you can run 87 safely and it runs fine. he said lexus HQ hasnt given them a real answer either, kinda makes you wonder.

I welcome your comments and welcome to the Club.

My RX300 is quite a bit modified so I am going to run a test on 87 octane (Chevron) for a bit to see what if any difference I notice, keeping an open mind, and reporting back results.

Just found my manual in some boxes,

On the back cover it states:

Fuel selection:

Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating 91 (Research Octane Rating 96) or higher is recommended.
let us know if there is anything significant. unless your car is under forced induction, i doubt the difference will be neglibigle.

Originally Posted by MARINE
And the 2008 IS250/350, 2008 ES350, 2007 RX350, ES350 manuals all say these choice words :

Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 may result in engine knocking and significantly reduced performance. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline.

It also states 87 may be used if 91 is not available. Tell that to Lexus HQ when they void the warranty repair. Unless you live in another country, premium is nationwide. Why take chances for a few cents more?

Would you not want your car to run at optimum performance?

If putting 87 in your car makes you happy, IMHO, buy a yugo

I know, I had ALL the models stated in my siggy. Run 87 and get peepee (wouldnt want to use stronger language lol) mileage and peformance.
uh....was that comment about buying a yugo really necessary? and when did 87 automatically guarantee that if you have an engine problem that they will void your warranty? uh they have to prove that putting lower grade gas is the sole cause of whatever problem is in question.

I think for many it's an economic issue. Although we are fortunate to have a luxury vehicle in our Lexuses, I know quite a few people who got themselves in a pickle and our trying to make ends meet (through no financial fault of their own, but just the economy) and watching both how they drive and what they can afford to put into their tank. That's one reason I am running my test with 87 to see for myself what the effect is not just for myself, but also for the benefit of the group. Ideally, I've always tried to give my RX300 (especially when I was in Mexico) the finest in fluids that I could get handily, though I had really no choice (except for some racing gasolines) but nationalized gasoline. I can still afford Super Unleaded, but because of the unique modifications I have on my RX, I am very curious to see their effect with 87 octane at sea level.
good to see someone who sees it on both sides of the proverbial fence. for me i can afford to put premium, heck if i wanted to i could afford to put racing fuel every fillup. the reason i dont is i dont think i should waste money when its unnecessary. the next car im looking it will possibly be turbo or supercharged, for those types of engines i will put premium since it will really need it not like the car i have now, which uses a low compression engine naturally aspirated. after all "a penny saved is a penny earned".
Old 09-17-08, 05:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

AM1, if I lease my car, I wouldnt put in 91 octane either. Thats why I dont buy used lease returns.
Old 09-17-08, 05:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
AM1, if I lease my car, I wouldnt put in 91 octane either. Thats why I dont buy used lease returns.

My RX is leased and believe me,there are other reasons not buy a lease return too.

Quick Reply: 2008 RX-350 Fuel Octane Rating