RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Dealer-applied paint sealant

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 10:08 PM
mls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer-applied paint sealant

I bought a 2009 RX 350 yesterday and before writing the check I was hit w/ all the additional warranties, services, extra protection, etc., which I always tend to view with great suspicion. I declined evreything, but am now thinking about adding the copolymer paint sealant, which is warranted for 5 yrs against every paint threat known to man. Costs $600 for the RX.

Has anyone done this, is is worth it? Do you really only have to wax once a year? I'm also doing the 3M clear mask, given what I've read on this forum.

Matt

1988 Porsche Carrera
2004 BMW 330i
2009 RX 350
Old 06-01-08, 10:39 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wax does not last for a year. every car paint is weathered in different conditions. I would get the clear bra, that is the best thing for sure.
Old 06-02-08, 12:39 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy it, then pour wheel cleaner acid on it then take it back to those bastards for lying about the "every paint threat known to man" part >:]

Honestly, its over hyped. I can easily do that by myself. Theres great products out there that do the same thing for less
Old 06-02-08, 12:42 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

paint sealant last for a year based on my experiences...is it worth it? yes...is it worth $600? no

get some sealant from your local auto store and apply it like wax...save yourself some money
Old 06-02-08, 05:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Worthless.

Car bra as mentioned above is better. I know because I have to repaint my bumper because of bug tar (won't be for a while) and even my uncle had applied something as was mentioned but he cautioned me against letting bug tar sit (from my trip over from Mexico), so it still requires being vigilant.
Old 06-02-08, 07:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
paint sealant last for a year based on my experiences...is it worth it? yes...is it worth $600? no

get some sealant from your local auto store and apply it like wax...save yourself some money
As kaydee mentioned,a dealer attempt to make more money off of you.No wax,or paint sealant on the market lasts more than a few month`s.
Old 06-02-08, 07:42 AM
mls
Driver School Candidate

Well that's settle that..I'll skip it, thanks.

matt
Old 06-02-08, 09:05 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I sprung for the "Polyglycoat" treatment on my first Suburban. It was fire engine red and I figured prone to fading. It cost something like $400 (in 1982) and included an "interior treatment" that was probably just sprayed on. I can't say it didn't work - the finish was as good as a domestic truck gets, with a deep gloss that responded well to waxing every six months. Remember, this vehicle was HUGE and a wax job consumed a full day.

After three years I remembered the "treatment" came with a bottle of "restorer" compound, so rather than wax that spring, I got out the bottle and read the directions. Uh-oh.

Like most waxes it said to work on a small area at a time. Small in this case was a six-inch square. It meant every word. If you tried to cover a larger area, it simply dried up and almost needed a cold chisel to remove. The only thing that would take off the dried Polyglycoat was another application or two. You can imagine the frustration - not to mention the pain of spending four consectutive days in the garage putting this treatment on the car from about 10am to midnight every day.

When finished, the surface looked showroom new. And true to the guarantee, it remained so (with occasional waxing) for a couple more years. Later I discovered that there were several "poly" products that were used as an alternative to Carnauba waxes that outperformed the "natural" material. The drawback to these products is that they are difficult to repair, not easily removed by conventional solvents when repainting.

Before using any of these products, a little research might be in order. You may be saving a bit of labor initially, but believe me, you will pay for it later. Applying and removing about a half-acre of that stuff is not a job for the timid. Had I known what I was in for, I would probably have quit after the first day, and finished the job with another product.

For my money, a good claybar, light polish, and carnauba wax is a difficult combination to beat. Check out CL's Detailing Forum for more information from the real experts: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/
Old 06-02-08, 09:16 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I used to work for a dealership long ago, paint sealant was literally over the counter paint sealant that anyone could buy. Okay, so the dealership used to buy whatever bottle the distributer used to come around and sell that month, but it was really no different than any off the shelf product you can get for $10-$20 a bottle. They charged about $300-$400 for this and we had to apply it just like wax. For the interior cloth protection, we literally sprayed scotch guard. They charged something like $200 or something for this. This was a Honda dealership.

Anyway, I would skip the dealer paint protection UNLESS that are guarantee against paint chipping (Which they probably aren't). Then go to a detail shop and ask them to give you a nice coat of paint sealant and a detail job for $100-$200 and you'd be much better off. Probably will be cheaper since the car is brand new and you wont really need a detail job, just the sealant.
Old 06-02-08, 12:27 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its just a expensive wax job, but it does work. I have it on my Lexus and the finish is still in showroom condition after 2 years and I have never wax it. I knew make so much profit on those thing that I talk them down to the price of $250. When I pick up my new car, I touch the compare the finish to another new car that was wax and ready for another customer, the Teflon sealent had a much smoother finish.
Old 06-02-08, 11:02 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mls
I'm doing the 3M clear mask, given what I've read on this forum.

VERY SMART MOVE!!!
Old 06-03-08, 07:09 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Just had it installed last week. Looks great as you can barely see it.
Had it installed for less then $350.
Old 06-03-08, 08:47 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skip the Paint Sealant and maintain the finish of your car yourself
Old 06-03-08, 10:43 AM
ZIN
Driver

The paint sealant is stupid for more reasons than one. Before you seal or wax a car it should be at least clayed to rid the paint pores of all contaminants. There is so much crap that gets into the pores and on the paint and then they just seal it all in. Pay someone to detail your vehicle and then twice a year apply a good quality sealer and put your $600.00 towards that and you will be good for many many years. Getting the 3m deal that is protecting against a whole other issue.
Old 06-03-08, 12:31 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Zin, you claybar your car everytime you wash and wax?

Quick Reply: Dealer-applied paint sealant