RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Poping sound when hitting/going over large bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 05:21 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Poping sound when hitting/going over large bumps?

I know its bad for the car but what is that bumping sound you hear, when the car goes over a large bump. For example I drive to some pretty rural areas. And today I had to drive on the dirtt shoulder. When I started the incursin off the road I heard a pop and back on I was also going as slow as I could. I know it has to do with the suspension, but exactly what. It makes the same noise as when you take a corner sharp and back tire rides. Up on to the curb before coming back down. Thanks

Ps hope the formating is ok I am typing this from my blueberry. So sometimes format problems happens
Old 06-05-08, 07:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow - great thumb exercise!

Before investigating your struts, check the rear areas to be sure your spare is well secured and the toolkit and other items stowed under the floor are not bouncing around causing the noise.

The sound you describe is what automakers call "loose lumber" - a rather descriptive phrase, unlike rattles, and buzzes, that often can be traced to noises in the rear shocks being transmitted through the upper shock mounts to the body. This normally occurs under just the circumstances you describe. Check to be sure these mounts are tight and the rubber bushings intact.
Old 06-05-08, 08:50 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Wow - great thumb exercise!

Before investigating your struts, check the rear areas to be sure your spare is well secured and the toolkit and other items stowed under the floor are not bouncing around causing the noise.

The sound you describe is what automakers call "loose lumber" - a rather descriptive phrase, unlike rattles, and buzzes, that often can be traced to noises in the rear shocks being transmitted through the upper shock mounts to the body. This normally occurs under just the circumstances you describe. Check to be sure these mounts are tight and the rubber bushings intact.
Thanks for the reply, but all our cars make that noise. If you ever cliped at curb you hear the sound going up and again when going back down off the curb. I don't think it has to do with a loose part. On vaca our chevy impala rental made the noise, our mercdes C class and toyota sienna all make the same noise when put under the same circustance. All of them are new cars. Not sure if the rental was abused though. I am aslo pretty sure its not the car bottoming out. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 06-05-08, 11:00 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol yeh it almost sounds like the tire is slipping. and it only happens on the rear when those wheels go over the bumps. i get it a lot...dont know what to tell you
Old 06-05-08, 03:42 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are hitting the bump hard enough you may be hitting the rebound limit of the shocks which are transmitting that noise into the body. This is the opposite of "bottoming out". My RX 300 and to some extent the RX 350 make a similar noise when I mis-time a speed bump. I get a pretty good "thud" when the rear struts go into full-droop rebound too. The only real solution, short of installing what off-roaders call "rebound straps" that snub that rebound before it hits the full stroke of the shock, substituting two noises for one . . . well, that or slow down . . .

Last edited by Lil4X; 06-05-08 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 04:11 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

whats interesting is i have the air suspension and i get that sound too.
Old 06-05-08, 06:02 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it like a Thump instead of a POP in the back right corner of the car
Old 06-06-08, 10:53 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by Booyah
Is it like a Thump instead of a POP in the back right corner of the car

Now that you describe it that way I would also call more of a thud. The sounds comes from the side that is being affected by the large surface disturbance.

Lil4x contribution makes sense to me regarding the suspension hitting its limit.

The second part of the question is it bad for the car? I know it bad, but is it like negligible bad or BAD BAD.