RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

AC not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 09:36 AM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC not Working

My battery got drained a week ago for not using my RX330 for couple of months, i have to jumped start . I found out just yesterday my AC not
working. Can someone help me . thx
Old 06-23-08, 09:46 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to the dealer.
Old 06-23-08, 09:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

When you turn the a/c on,do you hear the compressor kick in? i.e the idle of the car change? It`s possible your low in freon.You can also pop the hood,and see if the compressor clutch is working.
Old 06-23-08, 11:18 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Is the battery fully charged? Some cars go into limp mode and shut down all non important functions until full electrical power is restored.
Old 06-23-08, 11:32 AM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus114
When you turn the a/c on,do you hear the compressor kick in? i.e the idle of the car change? It`s possible your low in freon.You can also pop the hood,and see if the compressor clutch is working.
I don't hear the kickin of the compressor just the fan . by the way i don't think i have low freon cause the car has 5500 miles on it.
Old 06-23-08, 11:35 AM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Originally Posted by Junkxus
Is the battery fully charged? Some cars go into limp mode and shut down all non important functions until full electrical power is restored.
The battery indicator still on the " small or orange color means need charging, but i guess it will charge auto by itself . I seldom use my Rx maybe
once a week.
Old 06-23-08, 12:10 PM
grouch
Driver

Originally Posted by lexigirl06
The battery indicator still on the " small or orange color means need charging, but i guess it will charge auto by itself . I seldom use my Rx maybe
once a week.
The alternator can only replace a minor drain caused by starting and running your RX. The battery needs a full charge from a large battery charger. Take it to a shop that will charge it for an hour. If the A/C will not work after that, then have them disconnect the battery for 5/10 minutes and then retry the A/C. That should reset the computer. I've done that on other cars, but not a Lexus, so I'm not sure that it will work.
Old 06-23-08, 02:10 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by lexigirl06
once a week.
Orange light says alternator is not charging battery.

Uncharged battery will leave you stranded, so have that taken care of first.

Salim
Old 06-28-08, 12:35 PM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Take it to the dealer.
I brought may RX to the dealer this morning and gave me a loaner car (have to fill up gas when you return it ). The repair Adviser called me and said that my AC condenser has a hole and no freon @ all , according
to them it got hit by rock / stone whatever....I asked him where is that condenser located at? he told me it is located in front of the radiator. The repair cost will be $1000 labor /parts. So i went back there and pick up my RX and told them i'll take my car for now and find out where is that condenser leaking cause my car is always in my garage and never seen that leaked under. Anyone of you there has idea how much gonna cost for AC condenser replacement ? i just need advise, cause $1000 looks high for me for
a repair. thx

Last edited by lexigirl06; 06-28-08 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add more info.
Old 06-28-08, 01:01 PM
Bear60
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The R134a is a gas and would not show if it leaked out. The price sounds about right consiering the cost of the condenser plus the R-134a etc.
Old 06-28-08, 02:56 PM
lexigirl06
Rookie

can someone tell me the location of the A/C condenser? is it infront of the radiator? just wondering how i got hit by rocks/stone. these part shouold be
hide or covered if it is prone to get hit.
Old 06-28-08, 03:32 PM
salimshah

The condenser radiates heat, the refrigerant is passed through pipes which have aluminum fins [very much like radiator for engine coolant]. The whole thing is exposed to raming air. This means it is exposed to flying rocks. The whole thing is not as big as the coolant radiator.

The whole thing is academic as the unit has been diagnosed with a puncture leak.

At this time, you can practically go auto-A/C shop and possibly shave off some cost.

Salim
Old 06-29-08, 05:20 PM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
The condenser radiates heat, the refrigerant is passed through pipes which have aluminum fins [very much like radiator for engine coolant]. The whole thing is exposed to raming air. This means it is exposed to flying rocks. The whole thing is not as big as the coolant radiator.

The whole thing is academic as the unit has been diagnosed with a puncture leak.

At this time, you can practically go auto-A/C shop and possibly shave off some cost.

Salim

I was thinking , becuase my battery got drained and i seldom used my car/ac
it might cause to the condenser to get stocked . My car has only 5500 miles on it rarely used. Another thing , when i turned on the A/C , there was no changes on the rpm.
Old 06-29-08, 08:58 PM
salimshah

Since you have lost the refrigerant, The compressor will not come-on.

The other thing about refrigerant loop is, you need to run the compressor once every week. There are rubber seals, which will dry out and you will leak the refrigerant if you do not run it.

Salim
Old 06-29-08, 10:48 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Check with your insurance company. They pay for the windshields damaged by rocks, right?

Quick Reply: AC not Working