RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

awd percentage split?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 12:54 PM
drewpsb70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default awd percentage split?

i've searched using several key words but couldn't find anything

anyone know what the power split between the front and rear are with the AWD models?

please disregard!
Old 07-03-08, 03:17 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know its periodontally front wheel drive till wheel spin. Also I think it depends on the year because newer models have better AWD than original models my 2004
Old 07-04-08, 06:47 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

"Periodontally?" Perhaps this is a question for our resident dental mechanic.

From my reading, I am under the impression that the drive is split about 50/50 during normal use, and that drive is redirected only when a wheel or two start to spin. However, I have seen a few posts here that suggest 100% front wheel drive unless wheel spin dictates otherwise. In my experience, having driven many front wheel drive cars, large and small, for a long period of time, my '04 RX does not feel or handle (or corner) on dry pavement like a front wheel drive car.

That's what I know, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-04-08, 07:45 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll put $1 on 'predominantly'.
Old 07-04-08, 11:14 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

agreed its definately not full FWD because there is practically no torque steer at WOT.
Old 07-04-08, 05:53 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we looked at SUVs, my wife and I looked real hard at the Acura MDX which is "periodontally" or predominantly front wheel drive until the first wheel spin then the computer figures out the wheel split. I am pretty confident in the fact that the RX is AWD and the computer modifies that configuration depending on wheel spin and slip.
Old 07-04-08, 06:20 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

From what I understand of today's 4 wheel drive SUVs, and this is why it gets confusing, some cars are full time 4 wheel drive under normal dry pavement conditions, and others are 2 wheel drive, sometimes front, sometimes rear wheel drive. Different manufacturers call them different things ("all wheel drive," "4 wheel drive," "full time all wheel drive," etc.). In any of these setups, however, a spinning wheel or two will cause the power to be shifted to the wheels with more traction. In most instances, it works pretty much the same, and very well, especially if all you are talking about is going through the snow or maybe the mud.

My brother has an Infinity that he says is rear wheel drive unless wheel spin causes power some or all of the drive to be sent to the front. I think the Hondas are usually front wheel drive until spin intervenes, and as noted, I think the RX is 50/50 all day long, absent the aforementioned intervening force, often called gingivitis.

I trust that clears things up.
Old 07-07-08, 02:43 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
From what I understand of today's 4 wheel drive SUVs, and this is why it gets confusing, some cars are full time 4 wheel drive under normal dry pavement conditions, and others are 2 wheel drive, sometimes front, sometimes rear wheel drive. Different manufacturers call them different things ("all wheel drive," "4 wheel drive," "full time all wheel drive," etc.). In any of these setups, however, a spinning wheel or two will cause the power to be shifted to the wheels with more traction. In most instances, it works pretty much the same, and very well, especially if all you are talking about is going through the snow or maybe the mud.

My brother has an Infinity that he says is rear wheel drive unless wheel spin causes power some or all of the drive to be sent to the front. I think the Hondas are usually front wheel drive until spin intervenes, and as noted, I think the RX is 50/50 all day long, absent the aforementioned intervening force, often called gingivitis.

I trust that clears things up.
Correct,
however, remember in March-November your driving always in awd mode whereas other some other manufactures give you fw drive fuel economy with awd practicality.
Old 07-07-08, 05:12 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

AWD doesn't necessarily mean that it's' a 50/50 split. It could be just about anything and still be called AWD.

It would be interesting to find a Lexus site that explains that split and how the transfer case works. Does it send power to a specific wheel, or does it use the ABS to slow the opposite wheel...

Ohh... here's something...
This link has a definition of AWD that is interesting...but leaves more questions than answers. It doesn't nail it down that it's x% front or any one axle. In fact the way this reads I would say that it's FWD until power is needed at the rear or any specific wheel.
http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/RX/2006.html
All-Wheel Drive (AWD)
With this drivetrain, engine power is automatically routed to the front and/or the rear wheels as necessary to provide optimum traction.
Old 07-08-08, 12:12 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its 50/50 splite on the gen 3 RX. The 1st gen has the mech. center diff. to adjust power to the back wheel. The 2nd gen RX went to the ABS system to slow down the wheel to send more power to the other axle. The 3rd gen RX went back to the mech. center diff.
Old 07-08-08, 12:18 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

From what I understand, the AWD RX is front drive biased, with power going to the back upon detection of slippage. I know that doesn't explain the actual split, which I believe is variable rather than a set number. Our IS is shown as rear wheel biased and the driving characteristics are significantly different. The IS acts and feels like a rear drive until we need the AWD. The RX is decidedly more of a front driver. We have had both vehicles in heavy mountain snows and they are very different in handling, both good, both practical, but, I have to admit, the IS is a whole lot more fun!
Old 07-08-08, 12:24 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Gen 3? When did that happen?
The first RX was the 300 with the older body style.
Then, in '04 they introduced the current body style, and called it the RX330.
The bump at '07 from 330 to 350 was mostly just the larger engine and a different transmission; the body is the same, and I would not call that a full generation bump. If so, then Gen 4 is the current body style with the chrome door handles.
Old 07-08-08, 12:24 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Its 50/50 split, check out this Lexus press release.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4286081&EDATE=
Old 07-08-08, 12:38 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
Gen 3? When did that happen?
You are right, technically, there is only 2 generation, but I remember reading some where that the RX when from a mech. AWD system to a AWD system using the ABS and then went back to the original system. I am not sure of the time line.
Old 07-08-08, 03:05 PM
Boognish
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
agreed its definately not full FWD because there is practically no torque steer at WOT.
There are plenty of fwd vehicles that do away with torque steer at WOT via traction control that cuts throttle. Then there is the old SRT4 that had equal length half shafts and a mechanical limited slip, but that type of set up is not very common.

Quick Reply: awd percentage split?