RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Please Help Did I Just Void My Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08 | 07:55 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Question Please Help Did I Just Void My Warranty?

I was trying to get the power steering cover off to adjust my headlights following this post http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...15#entry317571, but I didn't know how to get the cover off. So after twisting the 5 little bugs holding them in place and getting frustrated I ended up tearing the cover off thinking it must have been one of those pop in out things. Anyways I lost all the pegs, but one of them and its broken. So did I just break my warranty? Can I drive without the cover? What should I do now? Can I buy the pegs. Please help?
Attached Thumbnails Please Help Did I Just Void My Warranty?-img00156.jpg  
Old 07-04-08 | 08:00 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Smile

Add to my frustration, I wan still not able to adjust my headlights because I can't find screw A (neither can my friends) and the idea about adjusting the Aim Arm by the right rear tire is great if someone actual wants to explain how to do it a little more in depth then just use lot of duct tape to tape it in place. Sorry I'm just a little annoyed and buzzed. lol

So can I still drive my car? Will a toyota dealer have that part? theirs one 15 minutes from where I live.
Attached Thumbnails Please Help Did I Just Void My Warranty?-img00158.jpg  
Old 07-04-08 | 09:04 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Void your warranty? No... well.. with the exception of the parts you just broke.
I'd have another beer, get some sleep and go get the parts you need to fix it in the morning. Skip the DIY until you have some tools and a Haynes manual in your possession.
BTW, do you have HID on your RX? That link was for people with HID adjusting to get a higher cutoff, which from someone with 3 HID cars I can't see the advantage of...
Old 07-04-08 | 10:22 PM
Aloger
Driver School Candidate

I also broke those pegs things that hold the power steering cover on, but I managed to just jam them back enough to hold the cover back on, I then took it in for an oil change and the dealer had changed out those pegs with new screw in type pegs which are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better and they never charged me That wont void your warrenty btw.
Old 07-04-08 | 11:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Man, should have asked us first before you ripped it out. All you have to do is push the center pin down on that push pin tab and then pull the tab out. It is really that simple. Anyway, no big deal aside from the twisted plastic cover. Just go to the dealer and get new pins tabs. My dealer has lost my original ones over the course of service and I noticed they replaced some of them with flat pin tabs. Anyway, sorry to hear about your frustration.
Old 07-05-08 | 04:32 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Yeah I a pretty impulsive. You think I can still drive it or should I drive another car to the dealer to get the pegs? Its about an hour away.

Its sitting in the truck for now. Should I just place back under the hood for now without the pegs.
Old 07-05-08 | 09:33 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

set it aside until you get the pegs. no use having it rattle around until then. the broken pegs may not be covered by warranty since you busted them but as you can see, they are insignificant cheap little gadgets. can't imagine they cost much and your dealer may give them to you. you don't have to tell them why you were trying to take the cover off, just that they broke when you did. no worries on future warranty issues.

look at post #9 on this thread for how the handle the push clips.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216004
Old 07-06-08 | 05:44 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

It is my understanding that this is cosmetic only. If you don't want the cover, leave it off. Otherwise, buy replacement parts (you may need a second mortgage to buy them ) and put things back together. We all make mistakes! I was mowing my lawn one day and got to close to the fender of my wife's convertible. Oops. New turn signal housing.
Old 07-06-08 | 07:34 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Odds are the cover is designed to reduce the sound of the motor along with being a nice cosmetic overlay. I would make sure to fix it. When you go to sell it'll raise some eyebrows if it's missing.
Old 07-06-08 | 08:09 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

I just the pins replaced at a total cost of $25. That means each pin is worth like $5 or more dollars. Those are some expensive bits of plastic.
Old 07-07-08 | 08:51 AM
Rx13
Driver School Candidate

No!! being impulsive is expensive.
Old 07-07-08 | 09:23 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

well yeah, but at $5 per those are some magic pins. tech at my dealer does refer to the whole assembly as a sound shield. i refer to it as that thing i have to take off before i can do anything. but i always put it back
Old 07-08-08 | 12:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I went to my dealer and ask for those rivits, and the service guy just gave me a hand full for free.
Old 07-08-08 | 04:52 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

I didn't go to my real dealer, because I was afraid of the warranty. I just walked into Lexus parts at another dealer never been to and asked for the little clips he wanted to look me up by phone # so I gave him a fake one. I guess I shouldn't have paid with credit car. lol
Old 07-08-08 | 11:49 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

uh......you really need to go to the sema site and read what constitutes a warranty claim not being honored. this is not remotely close. about a year ago a door tweeter blew out and the dealer tried to charge me for it, because i had a aftermarket system (subs,amps,caps, and wiring all over the car), they claimed it caused the tweeter to blow out, i told them no way since the system was professionally installed and had all the proper fuses and grounded properly. they gave up and fixed it under warranty.

Quick Reply: Please Help Did I Just Void My Warranty?