RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Fender Bender; Peeling Paint!!! btw RX bumpers SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 05:45 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Fender Bender; Peeling Paint!!! btw RX bumpers SUCK

Long story short; I backed into a friend’s car (Isuzu Rodeo) when backing out my garage at night!!! First accident in my RX and I really didn't see as I was accelerating backwards.

The bumper does not have any real damage, but the paint kind of cracked around the stress marks so I put Lexus Touch Up Paint on it, but then it got worse. I came back and the paint was curled up, so I taped it down with clear packaging tape. The bumper has some spider webbing you can only see in direct sunlight. And a bit off spider webbing by the top Lexus scuff plate. Any ideas how to fix this? And why is the touch up paint not working

I can't believe this car gets damaged so easily. Kind of disappointed my friends Isuzu didn't even get a scratch and his SUV is honestly a piece of crap compared to the RX like worse then corrola ; hell the alarm didn't even go off. Honestly, I expected a Lexus to be built stronger. On further inspection you can actually flex the bumper by pushing on it from the sides and I can even flex the door panels. Try it at home you guys I am not joking!!! We have a SUV and my mom Mercedes E sedan has stronger bumpers and metal I couldn’t flex them and when she backed into a fire hydrant the bumper didn’t spider web it has some serious scuff marks and broken parking sensors though.

ps. Im getting mud guards installed this weekend obviously for cosmetic reasons, but I am excited. Hope Lexus dealer will do it for under $200 part +labor .

Last edited by triplecore; 07-23-08 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 06:01 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touch up paint doesn't fill in cracks like you'd think it would. Take the packaging tape off, thats a ghetto fix.

Only way to really fix it is to respray it. Although that sounds like a lot, it's probably just a couple hundred to have a good shop fix it.
Lots of vehicles with urethane bumpers have that spider webbing when hit. You may want to have someone pull the bumper cover and see if you crushed the honeycomb impact cushions that are in the bumper.
Yes all the panels will flex. That's a function of gauge of the metal panels. Not really a surprise there.
Old 07-24-08, 06:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You are talking about the bumper cover, that is not the actually bumper, the bumper is underneath that cover. The cover is made of plastic. You need a special primer to paint on plastic. Touch up paint is for small spot only, not for big patches. As far as the body panels, MB have thicker panels, thats why they weight so much.
Old 07-24-08, 06:53 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There may be more damage than meets the eye. If there was a collision force sufficient to crack the paint on the bumper cover, the impact-absorbing egg-crate plastic behind the bumper has probably been at least partially crushed. Get a good body shop to check the damage and give you an estimate.

A modern bumper is like a helmet, it's designed to permanently deform to protect you by absorbing energy. Once it does that, its effectiveness in protecting you from future impacts may be severely compromised. Replacement may be the only real answer.

I learned the hard way when my step-mother wrecked her car several years ago. A few months earlier someone had backed into her in a parking lot and I could find no damage from that collision, not even a scuff in the paint. After the front bumper was removed in the course of repairing the second collision's damage, I discovered the real damage from the first (on the opposite side) had crushed the egg-crate and badly bent some mounting brackets hidden within. It would have been no protection at all in a frontal collision in on the driver's side.
Old 07-24-08, 09:41 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Dude calm down. Its just a bumper cover and thats it. Anything you hit with some force paint will crack. Not just with Lexus. Sorry for ur misfortune, but a repaint should fix it.
Old 07-24-08, 10:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

And whats wrong with repairing it with packing tape?
Old 07-24-08, 04:40 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

The bottom line is that you messed up by not watching where you were backing up and as all ready stated the plastic bumper needs to be professionally painted. Pay out the big money and learn a lesson. Don't blame it on Lexus. Be accountable for your error.
Old 07-25-08, 08:08 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

As suggested, own up to it and accept the fact that this was self-inflicted and then get it fixed. As stated, you most likely flexed the bumper cover enough that the paint flexed and is not fixable using packaging tape.

Everyone knows you need duct tape. Seriously, get it inspected because you have a sub-structure under that cover that is the actual bumper and it may have been damaged.

Btw, stop complaining that these bumpers are crap when all cars with bumper covers have, more or less, the same type of bumper/cover/substructure arrangement. I am guessing that Rodeo doesn't have these vanity-type covers and has a more substantial bumper, especially since it is a real off road capable vehicle.
Old 07-25-08, 08:35 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No mention at all about damage to the Isuzu Rodeo?
Old 07-25-08, 02:19 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're complaining about a Lexus that was given to you by your parents, according to your sig. Nice!
Old 07-26-08, 05:46 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
No mention at all about damage to the Isuzu Rodeo?
Thats my friends car. And the Rodeo didn't even get damaged. Which he thought was hallerious because he car supposedly a "crap box" compared to mine. The rodeo was like a rock
Old 07-30-08, 06:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm, maybe you should ask your parents to buy you a Rodeo
Old 07-30-08, 10:31 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

buy a tank . lesson learned, get it fixed.
Old 10-12-08, 06:39 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by triplecore
Thats my friends car. And the Rodeo didn't even get damaged. Which he thought was hallerious because he car supposedly a "crap box" compared to mine. The rodeo was like a rock
Bumpers are made like that for pedestrian safety as well.
The rodeo, probably has a lot of plastic/rubber, and hard chrome metal surfaces on its bumper, which are cheaper, but more durable.