RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Black or White...That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 06:19 PM
09RX350WPB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black or White...That is the question

Picking up a 09 RX350 this weekend. Having trouble deciding what color I want. Have narrowed it down to either black or white. Both options will have Ivory interior. If you had this choice what would you choose?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 07-23-08, 06:26 PM
dave2K
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool I'd go for the white

I have a white RX 330 and black was my second choice. I think the white gives a nice balanced appearance as there are a number of dark areas on the vehicle that provide contrast: the tinted glass, the tires, the black lower panels, etc. With the black body I think there's just too many dark areas with little contrast. Although the chrome wheels really look nice with the black body. Both are good looking so you can't really go wrong. It just comes down to which one you prefer. And I definitely like the ivory interior!
Old 07-23-08, 06:56 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I've owned black cars and will never have another one. Too frequent cleaning is required to keep them looking good. Most of my cars have been white or silver. Either is good for not showing dust or dirt.
Old 07-23-08, 07:12 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black is the only color I ever buy. Nothing quite like it. My RX is black on black. Mmmmm
Old 07-23-08, 07:47 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Black RX has more presence, will appear dirty more quickly (more frequent exterior cleaning), will show swirl marks more readily.

White will be more cooler when parked in the sun.

It is all subjective, but personally I dont like the appliance white and prefer the midnight-pearl [it was an option in '99].

Salim
Old 07-23-08, 09:09 PM
JazzieLex
Driver School Candidate

Hubby and I have never owned a white vehicle. We have always chosen a dark color, and 1/2 of our vehicles have been black. We ordered our RX 350 Pebble Beach ed. in the Truffle Mica on Ivory just to be different.

Have you taken into consideration that the Obsidian is a solid paint finish (albeit glossy) as opposed to the White Pearl Mica which has a metallic finish? The white will have more of a dimensional, sparkly effect especially in sunny Florida!

Good luck with your upcoming purchase!
Old 07-23-08, 10:33 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 09RX350WPB
Picking up a 09 RX350 this weekend. Having trouble deciding what color I want. Have narrowed it down to either black or white. Both options will have Ivory interior. If you had this choice what would you choose?

Thanks in advance for your input.
It really is what ever floats your boat. I have a silver RX400h, and I think it's a good neutral color to pick. But, one thing to keep in mind is black can look really good when it's kept in good condition and well detailed. Once it's dirty it can look bad. Just like white. Although, you won't be able to see much of the dirt, overtime the white will become yellow. (that's if you don't clean your car for long time) All in all good luck with your purchase. Hope to see you around here in the club!
Old 07-23-08, 10:37 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Forget the colors. Anyone notice how easily this soft Lexus paint chips and scratches?
Old 07-23-08, 10:40 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Forget the colors. Anyone notice how easily this soft Lexus paint chips and scratches?
+1 That's why I got the full front end clear bra. Did you install clear bra on yours?
Old 07-24-08, 01:15 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

hah, I'd take black, so you take white
Old 07-24-08, 04:03 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan8

we have black. is harder to keep looking crisp but worth it to us. and i don't think Lexus is alone in the paint situation. we had a clear bra put on too but have heard several people with other brands chirping about the soft paint. i believe there were new gov regs put in place a while back that required changed to paint mix. something enviornmental.
Old 07-24-08, 06:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

09RX350WPB, how often do you wash and wax your car. If you keep your car clean, buy the black.
Old 07-24-08, 07:12 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Salim on the pearl white - I had it on my '00 and it was really nice. It does not show dust and it is a classic look for anyone who went through "The Great Gatsby" fashion fad a few years back. For a change (I'd had white company cars for years), I went to the Savanna Metallic on my '04 and was surprised how dirty I could get it out on a job without it showing . . .

Here it's covered in a heavy layer of dust and mud from a couple of days on this location - but at least it all matches!
Old 07-24-08, 04:49 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

I have owned one black vehicle and I will never own another. They absorb heat much faster than white and it takes longer for AC to cool the interior. Ivory interior goes a lot better with a white exterior than black. A black or gray interior goes better with a black exterior IMHO. As all ready stated Black is harder to keep clean. It will show dirt faster than any color. With white you can go a long time between washes. Black is beautiful when it is clean but get real, it is impossible to keep it that way for very long. Been there. Done that.
Old 07-24-08, 05:55 PM
banjo
Driver

We like Black on the RX 350...Black / Black.....It is hard to keep clean...But awesom looking when clean..

Quick Reply: Black or White...That is the question