RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Installing Chrome Door Handles on RX

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 08:55 PM
yippeeiaye
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Chrome Door Handles on RX

The '09 RXs has chrome door handles which looks nice, so I was thinking of buying a set but I was wondering if anybody had any experience installing them. How hard or easy. I heard it could be a nightmare. I don't want to get the cheapie chrome door cover even though it would be much simpler.

Last edited by yippeeiaye; 08-06-08 at 09:43 PM. Reason: for correction of year
Old 08-07-08, 06:25 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't know the answer to your question, but I for one was disappointed to see the end of the matched door handles and the use of chrome on all colors in '09. Maybe on the silver I don't mind as much. In fact, to make the driver's door as sleek as possible, I installed the key plug, as shown here on a silver car (not mine - I think this is from the seller's web page). I guess my point is that I don't know if Lexus thought that the silver handles were a touch of class or if they were a cost-saving move. Maybe it's just a matter of taste and what you like.
Attached Thumbnails Installing Chrome Door Handles on RX-doorplug-for-posting.jpg  
Old 08-07-08, 09:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You can get a nice door handle cover, would cost some $$. And they are really nice and would stand abuse.

Replacing them would be a task. I have had the dealer replace all 4 of mine due to a paint problem (fading). It did not take them a lot of time to do. With instructions, I think it is doable. But trying to work on the door is a nasty process, you will have to break the seal on the door, they have the gooey glue and all (I know Honda has them, but have not worked on a Lexus-Toyota).
Old 08-07-08, 12:27 PM
Dottiebubb
Driver School Candidate

My 2008 RX 350 has chrome handles. I believe they stand out positively vs. the matched color ones.
Old 08-07-08, 01:22 PM
mandyfig

I like the chromies....and they should have the side mirror LED's, too....I wonder why they went cheap on this option, why is it not offered.
Old 08-07-08, 09:30 PM
ratha67
Rookie

If the door handles on the RX are the same kind of assemblies as the handles on the SC430 (They look pretty much the same), then the job is extremely easy.

I was thinking of replacing the handles with the chrome ones as well. I think it looks great especially paired with chrome rims.

I replaced my SC door lock a few weeks ago. All that was involved was unscrewing one screw in the door jam. The entire lock assembly comes out, and without the lock assembly there to block the handle from coming out, the whole door handle slides right out.

So if the RX is the same, it is a matter of removing one torx bolt in the door jam. I'll take a look at the RX door jam tomorrow to see if its the same and get back to you guys.
Old 08-08-08, 10:04 PM
ratha67
Rookie

Originally Posted by ratha67
If the door handles on the RX are the same kind of assemblies as the handles on the SC430 (They look pretty much the same), then the job is extremely easy.

I was thinking of replacing the handles with the chrome ones as well. I think it looks great especially paired with chrome rims.

I replaced my SC door lock a few weeks ago. All that was involved was unscrewing one screw in the door jam. The entire lock assembly comes out, and without the lock assembly there to block the handle from coming out, the whole door handle slides right out.

So if the RX is the same, it is a matter of removing one torx bolt in the door jam. I'll take a look at the RX door jam tomorrow to see if its the same and get back to you guys.
Yep... Looks to be the same as the assembly on my SC430. Just remove the plastic grommet on the door jam side of the door, and there should be a torx bolt that holds the lock assembly in place. Remove that, and the lock assembly including the outer cosmetic lock cover will slip right out. Once the lock is out, the door handle will slide right out as well.
Old 08-08-08, 11:34 PM
yippeeiaye
Rookie

Cool, thank you for the info!
Old 08-14-08, 10:15 AM
jimmyjay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.autoamenity.com/KartList/...leFFT15106.htm
Old 09-07-08, 05:20 PM
RA080623
Driver

Well I decided to order chrome handles (OEM ones). I haven't looked at the work to change them but did read the previous post on removing the plug and accessing the screw holding the handle. Seems easy enough.

Only problem is that I couldn't find the same setup for the rear doors.

Do I have to remove the door panel and get to the handle from the inside or is there an easier way to remove the rear door handles.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-07-08, 09:35 PM
SportyDog
Driver School Candidate

i'm wanting to do this too, so I'm following your lead, let us know how it goes.
Old 09-08-08, 06:08 AM
mandyfig

Default Handles

Originally Posted by G2SSM
Well I decided to order chrome handles (OEM ones). I haven't looked at the work to change them but did read the previous post on removing the plug and accessing the screw holding the handle. Seems easy enough.

Only problem is that I couldn't find the same setup for the rear doors.

Do I have to remove the door panel and get to the handle from the inside or is there an easier way to remove the rear door handles.

Any help is appreciated.
Just for reference, how much did it set you back? Have they been delivered? Can you take a picture and post? Gives us an idea. Installation should be easy, manuals are available. Good luck.
Old 09-08-08, 08:35 PM
RA080623
Driver

I'm tracking the handles from Japan ordered on Sept 5th. They just entered Canada Customs so I should get them in about 3 months .

I'll post pics of the handles and the process when their done. Ordered them from Ebay for $163 delivered. Great communication with the seller. Authentic Toyota parts. I can confirm once I get them.
Old 09-09-08, 08:58 AM
mandyfig

Can you please let us know who the vendor is? Thanks.
Old 09-09-08, 09:17 PM
RA080623
Driver

The handles arrived today. Man that was fast. Ordered them on the 5th from Japan.

They are real Toyota OEM parts. Or at least that is what the tags say. Look genuine - no reason to question it.

The seller is zeroism702 on Ebay. Wasn't sure if I could post the auction. You can lookup his id. He was really good to talk to and answered my question promptly. Sent a tracking number right away.

Now I just need to find the time to change the handles - might be a weekend job. Also need to figure out which part numbers go on which door.

Quick Reply: Installing Chrome Door Handles on RX