RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I just averaged 69.9 MPG over 11 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 03:46 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I just averaged 69.9 MPG over 11 miles

Many Club Lexus users read my article on MyRide about the misconception of 91-octane gas. You actually get more miles per tank on cars that are designed (recommend or require) premium gas. Well I've now done something I thought wasn't possible. I just averaged 69.9 MPG over 11 miles in my 2007 Lexus RX350 AWD (loaded down with all the OEM & dealer options, include the full tow package, hitch and more so it weighs a lot!) with 2 adults in the SUV and about another 30-lbs of misc gear. I also did this with an average speed of 40 MPH - right in the sweet spot I've found for the RX350.

The conditions were not optimal, but I did my best to get the most MPG out of my Lexus, just to see what could be done. I ended up in a lot of stop and go traffic and had to come to a complete stop far too many times (I shut off the car as often as I could, but too many times the stops where to short). I also had to turn on the AC occasionally after the first 11 miles. I shot video along the way and took a lot of photos. With all the conditions I was in I was able to travel almost 38 miles on a single gallon.

I'll be posting my full story soon, along with many photos and videos. I could have done better with no traffic, and there are a number of tricks I used to get the high MPG, some everyone can do everyday, some everyone can do when the conditions are right, some you can do and others won't like if you're on a busy freeway, and some most can't do. My goal was just to see what I could personally do - I've read the stories of people getting amazing MPGs and thought I'd try.

I think this is a great example to start a conversation on what tricks others use to get more MPG, and what is the max MPG you've gotten? I wanted to test 10 miles (it's easy to fill up and get high MPG in a short distance) as well as how far could I go before the miles traveled and the average MPG are equal (distance on 1 gallon).

See my photo and a bit more info at http://community.myride.com/kickapps...8867/3898.html

I look forward to seeing others recommendations and tips. I'm going to try and do this again with a Hybrid, like the GS-H and see what I can accomplish.

Last edited by jamesfabin; 08-17-08 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added word "almost" to before 38 miles on a single gallon.
Old 08-17-08, 04:58 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

I just put up one of my videos from my test - you'll see me doing a decent speed on the freeway and hitting 37 miles traveled with an average of 37.3 MPG. The higher speed (above 40 MPH) and the AC really dropped my average fuel economy, but it's still over double what I usually get. You can see the video at http://community.myride.com/kickapps...8257/3898.html

I'd like to see what others can get out of their RXs!
Old 08-17-08, 06:15 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles did you go? 10?
Are you using the car's computer to make the calculation or are you filling it after driving? The reason I ask is that the first few miles of calculation carry the highest variability and may skew your results.
I applaud the efforts though. Looks like you're a future hypermiler!
Old 08-17-08, 06:32 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
Are you using the car's computer to make the calculation or are you filling it after driving? The reason I ask is that the first few miles of calculation carry the highest variability and may skew your results.
This brings up a good point that I was about to investigate here. Just today had to put in some gas and decided to put in premium 91 again. Had run a tank of midgrade 89. Mileage reading was 11.9 L/100 Km (about 19.8 MPG). Immediately upon leaving the station it jumped to over 29L/100Km (8 mpg). Once it settled down and after about 40 minuted of highway driving @ 100Km/hr (about 72M/hr), it was reading 9.9L/100Km (23.75 mpg). Drove home from a family visit, about 70 minutes @ highway speeds (120 (72mph) on the major higway, 95 (57mph) on the secodary highway and by the time I was home it was reading 9.0L/100/Km (26 mpg). Question is; is there a reset signal interlocked with the gas door so that every time we add fuel, the calculation for mileage resets?

Note that all mpg numbers were calculated.
Old 08-17-08, 09:00 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
You know it! I think I'm getting addicted to trying to maximize the miles. My best MPG came at maintaining 39-40 MPH with no AC and able to keep the car within that speed as much as possible (I did hit traffic and I know I could have gotten better). I had trouble around 11 miles with traffic and had to accelerate to maintain 65-70 MPH, but at the end of 37 miles I was averaging 37 MPG - this included hitting stop and go traffic, having to come to a complete stop several times on the freeway and using the A/C often. I felt like that episode of Top Gear where he drove the big diesel (I think it was the Audi A8).

It was too much effort to drive like this every time and the conditions where perfect at the start and near the end (even though I was running 65 MPH or faster often). I'd like to hear what others have been able to get from an RX350 or other heavy vehicle.
Old 08-17-08, 09:06 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Yeah Clarkson took an R8 diesel to the limit. I think it was something like 500 miles on a tank.
Like I said earlier though, your results might be off just because it's the first bit of mileage that the computer is calculating. I can hit 70mpg in my Mini Cooper after filling up, hitting the highway and drafting a semi. But after about 5 miles I have to hit the gas to go up a hill and I'm back to normal.
I short shifted the Mini last week and ended up with 37mpg. I usually get 34.
Statistically speaking you don't have quite enough datapoints to make a call on it yet. Try getting a couple tanks worth of high mpg and then you'll have something.
There are some good hypermiler sites to read. Most involve cutting the engine at stop lights, no idling, and drafting other vehicles. Should be easy to find some good tips.
Old 08-17-08, 10:37 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Was your test a closed loop test? (start and end point being the same ... this way gravity help and retard as well as wind (assuming it stays the same velocity) )

Salim
Old 08-18-08, 05:15 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Congratulations on that figure. How about the rest of the tankful? In my world, short distance measurements of fuel economy are not real. For instance, I can go to the top of Pikes Peak and show a 15 mile economy of 99 mpg (obviously tongue firmly planted in cheek) on the trip down. A single, short trip with an exagerated figure doesn't tell the whole picture. In addition, I only use actual measurements as real world - that is, miles driven divided by gallons. The rest is a computerized estimate, imo.

As a side note, my wife drove from Pittsburgh to Buffalo at the beginning of this summer, a trip in the vicinity of 200 miles. She set the cruise at a steady 60 mph, didn't stop and then added fuel to the tank. Real world figure of 30.X mpg (don't remember the decimal point). On the way back at 65 mph she got a real 28.6 mpg. This was on the interstate and involved a long enough distance to get real numbers.
Gary
Old 08-18-08, 09:35 AM
jamesfabin
Driver

Smile

My test was just on the regular highway. I felt very much like Clarkson - doing everything I could to maximize the MPG. Over the 11 miles I was able to draft behind a big rig most of the way. It was running slower which helped - for me the Lexus gets its max fuel economy at around 39 to 40 MPH. I did have to slow down and stop a couple times for traffic - and I shut off the engine whenever possible stopping. I also was as gentle as possible on the gas, except for 1 time when I nearly missed my exit and had to cut over and speed up quickly. The rest of my 38 mile trip I hit a lot more traffic and came to a stop several times on the freeway, plus I had to use my AC (the temp was 91-95 degrees as I drove across the desert). But I was happy to get 37.3 miles per gallon over a run in traffic of over 37 miles.

If my vehicle had cylinder deactivation and was a hybrid, I could have done much better.

James
Old 08-19-08, 07:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesfabin
Over the 11 miles I was able to draft behind a big rig most of the way.
Now there is a good idea, save a few buck on gas and spend more on a replacement windshield and paint chips
Old 08-19-08, 08:30 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Well I applaud your efforts, but in TX that is not possible to shut off your car and turn the a/c occasionally. Adding premium fuel to have to shut down the car up and down promotes more wear and tear than if I just add regular gas and not worry about it in my opinion.
Old 08-19-08, 08:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would not want to shut off my car at every red light for safety reason.