RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Driver seat click noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 07:42 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Driver seat click noise

hi gys,i want your opinion on this please,i have 04 rx330 and i have this click noise on/off in driver seat on acceleration and breaking,under warrenty time the dealer couldnot duplicate ,it is getting worse now,i know i can speak to the dealer for possible repair on their charge since the car is out of warrenty but is there any thing that i can do to repair myself, i hate to go to those dealers thanks
Old 08-27-08, 09:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

This could be the seat TSB, Front Seat Squeak Noise......I do not know why the dealer did not fix it.

The TSB is for a squeak not a click...if it is a squeek, then I can send you the repair details which is not really bad....
Old 08-27-08, 09:56 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

yes please tell me the information thanks
Old 08-27-08, 10:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats the track of the seat, it need to be replace. Since you had it look at and documented by the dealer earlier, the problem is still cover under warranty.
Old 08-27-08, 05:25 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

May also be related to the gide pins used on the assembly line to locate the seats. Had that problem on our '08. This is a known issue and can be remedied by grinding off the pins; they are not needed for use after the factory.
Old 08-28-08, 08:58 AM
mandyfig

Here ya go! Hope it helps.

Some customers may experience a squeak noise due to contact between the seat track locating pin(s) and the floor pan location hole(s). The following procedure describes the repair method to correct this condition.

Remove the plastic rear seat track
covers — Use the taped screwdriver
to disengage the claws and carefully
remove the plastic seat track covers.

Remove the LH front seat assembly.
A. Move the seatback to the full
upright position.
B. Remove the four (4) seat track
securing bolts.
C. Disconnect the electrical
connectors and remove the
complete seat assembly.

Remove the seat track locating pins.
A. With the seat removed from the
vehicle, tilt the seat assembly
backward to gain access to the
seat track locating pins.
B. Use a power cut-off tool (or
equivalent) to cut off the two (2)
locating pins leaving 2 mm
(0.1 in.) or less of each pin.

Clean and paint bare metal surfaces.
A. Remove any metal shavings from the seat track/seat assembly.
B. Clean the bare metal surface of the remainder of the seat track locating pin with
wax, grease, and silicone remover.
C. To prevent corrosion, coat any bare metal surfaces still attached to the seat track
with a brush-on type paint.

Install LH front seat assembly.
A. Place the seat on the cabin floor.
B. Reconnect all electrical connectors under the seat.
C. Install all four (4) seat track retaining bolts (fingertight).
F. Reinstall all plastic seat track covers.
Old 08-22-09, 06:24 AM
hadanjm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shikbas
hi gys,i want your opinion on this please,i have 04 rx330 and i have this click noise on/off in driver seat on acceleration and breaking,under warrenty time the dealer couldnot duplicate ,it is getting worse now,i know i can speak to the dealer for possible repair on their charge since the car is out of warrenty but is there any thing that i can do to repair myself, i hate to go to those dealers thanks
shikbas, did you ever get this resolved? I just picked up a used '05 RX330 that has the same problem... on both front seats. Driving me crazy hearing and feeling the seats click on every turn. Dealer seems unaware of any TSB covering this. Thanks.
Old 08-22-09, 02:44 PM
shikbas
Intermediate

Never,it appears to happen more in warmer weather ,i went to the dealer many times and they deny any fix, i am disappointed with lexus service,i think they should do more about repeated complaint.the last time i called the lexus headquarters and told them still no solution
Old 08-26-09, 12:03 PM
mandyfig

There is a TSB on this seat clicking-ticking issue. They have to cut a bolt. I will post the TSB, if I get to it.
Old 08-26-09, 12:08 PM
mandyfig

This is for the squeak:

Title:
FRONT SEAT SQUEAK NOISE NV001-06
Models:
’04 -- ’07 Lexus
Technical Service NV001-06
Information Bulletin
May 23, 2006

TSB # NV001-06
NV001-06
Some customers may experience a squeak noise due to contact between the seat track
locating pin(s) and the floor pan location hole(s). The following procedure describes the
repair method to correct this condition.
Old 08-26-09, 12:12 PM
mandyfig

This is the same TSB as I posted earlier...
Old 08-27-09, 06:47 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies, I donot know if the TSB is the same as what I have,TSB talking about a sequeel and I feel a click as if the track is loose and two metal pieces get into contact,still i will contact the dealer and ask them
Old 10-13-09, 09:05 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

The driver's seat squeak/click/similar noises started in my '05 about 1 week ago. It became worse rather quickly and drove me nuts this morning on the way to work. So I fixed the problem this evening by following the instructions for TSIB NV001-06 (same as above). Took it for a test drive and what a relief...no more noises. The pin was definitely the culprit, which was evident from the tip of the pin that showed wear from rubbing against the floor pan.
Old 10-13-09, 10:29 PM
salimshah

Received 1,043 Likes on 941 Posts

When it comes to noise, it is best to ride with the tech/service_advisor and demonstrate to them. Believe me, there is a good chance that with the tech riding with you, the noise may not reproduce.

Salim
Old 10-22-10, 10:19 AM
PatAgent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Group:

I also have this problem with my 2007 RX 350. It all started when I heard creaking sound coming from the seat when turning (similar to the creaking of a hull of an old wooden ship). After I had the TSB performed (as mentioned above) the creaking went away (amen, right). Then, I started to hear the dreaded clicking / ticking / clunking / popping of the seat when making right turns (I do not hear it when accelerating or braking).

I have done almost everything to this seat, from lubing the linkages to removing the seat and repositioning it in the cabin (and even adding some shims). Every time I remove the screws, and reposition the seat, the noise seems to disappear for a few hours (but, it inevitably returns).

I’m starting to believe that this noise must be related to stresses relieving in the seat assembly as my weight shifts in the seat (but interestingly enough, only in one direction). One quick note, I cannot replicate this while the car is stopped by pulling on the seat assembly or shifting my weight while stationary--I have to be physically in the seat and making a right turn.

So, I have two more things to check, before I go totally insane: 1) there is a linkage under the seat with a large Torx-head screw that may need to be shimmed (this linkage has a plastic cover attached to it that also connects to the rails, but is only held in by one screw), and 2) other user groups (with other Toyota vehicles) have complained about noises from the seat springs that may need to be lubed.

If I find the answer, I will post the solution for everyone. If you know the answer please let me know.

BTW – I am no longer under warranty with this vehicle, and I have taken a ride with a tech, replicated the noise, and they do not have a clue. I only weigh about 185 (6’ tall).

Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Driver seat click noise