RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bought an 05 330, Upgrades? speakers? Chrome? suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 08:43 PM
SportyDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an 05 330, Upgrades? speakers? Chrome? suggestions?

Hey all,

First post here, just got an 05 Thundercloud 330 today and am very happy with it.

I'd like to look at what possible upgrades I can add to it.

It is FWD, and does not have the Upgraded (guys name) Stereo, other than that I believe it has all available options, including the tow package.

Anyway, I was looking at the Chrome Wheel inserts for the Thundercloud, and the chrome door handles for all RX's. Anyone have any opinions on those, cheesy, cool?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the sound system, or speakers at all? The truck has the nav and factory stereo so I'm assuming it would be silly to change that out, but what about anything else?

Appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks!
Old 01-26-09, 10:18 AM
Chazzman
Driver School Candidate

Bummer this post received no replies as I have similar questions.

I just purchased a 2005 RX330 (with Nav, no Mark Levinson stereo) and I love it so far. However, it feels like a rental car since everything is so new to me and I haven’t personalized it yet. To that end, what are some of the better upgrades and customizations people have done?

I am definitely thinking about adding an iPod adaptor. I’ve seen the post on this forum about adding the Vaistech and I know there is another one out there (USA Spec – Crutchfield has it). Does anyone know the pros/cons when comparing the two?

I am an audio enthusiast and I’ve never had a vehicle where I didn’t upgrade the entire sound system. With the unique shape of the dash/console, I don’t think I will be upgrading the head unit. However, I do think the speakers could use an upgrade. Does anyone know what size speakers will fit at each location? I usually go to Crutchfield and use their configuration tool but nothing is coming up for this make/model. I am hoping standard sized speakers and tweeters will fit and Lexus didn’t use anything too crazy.

I saw the post about new types of grills. Those look great -- maybe later.

I’ll skip wheels. Too expensive... maybe later.

Any other things people have done or seen to add some personality to these cars?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-09, 09:27 AM
Heraldo
Driver School Candidate

Hello guys,

I recently intalled a USA SPEC for an Ipod Sync (ebay, US$120). It works great! you really note the difference.

About the speakers I´m wondering the same... Maybe a Power Amplifier and a high end power speakers with bass subwoofer...
Old 01-28-09, 10:51 AM
RA080623
Driver

I picked up an 04 for my wife (Flint Mica). Tinted the windows, put on the front bug deflector and chrome handles.

I like the changes and they didn't cost a bundle. Now it's a little different than all the rest out there.

I have some pics under a few other posts.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-09, 11:21 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by G2SSM
.....chrome handles.
Which handles did you get? I had a newer RX as a loaner and liked the chrome handles. Thanks.
Old 01-28-09, 12:07 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SportyDog
Hey all,

First post here, just got an 05 Thundercloud 330 today and am very happy with it.

<snip>

Anyway, I was looking at the Chrome Wheel inserts for the Thundercloud, and the chrome door handles for all RX's. Anyone have any opinions on those, cheesy, cool?

Thanks!
Just a quick comment. First of all, the Thundercloud Edition is fairly unique in and of itself, especially if it is the Thundercloud Metallic color - of which only 500 were ever made (they also came in the Flint Mica color). The wheels are totally unique to the TC version, no other RX has, or got them. The grill is also unique, but was made available through Lexus, so there are a number of non-TC's running around with that grill. You may want to be a little judicious in whatever dressing up you do, as, you already have a rather unique RX.
Old 01-28-09, 12:52 PM
DakotaRX
Driver

I would have to agree with Orzel. I also have a 2005 Thundercloud RX in the Thundercloud Mist. The 500 units Orzel quotes is world wide numbers, not just the US. It is unique in many ways, besides what Orzel noted the interior is gray with black trim and the wood trim is black birdseye maple which was not available in any other RX. The Thundercloud Mist color is metallic pewter gray which was also not available in any Lexus and as far as I know still is not available in any newer Lexus models.

I do like the chrome accents on the Thundercloud Mist body color and do wish they had used more such as on the door handles and even the rims. The spokes of the rims in chrome with the dark gray inserts would look really nice. I have even thought about having mine chromed but decided against it because of the limited edition of the Thundercloud. I would maybe look at putting the chrome door handles on and maybe doing upgrades in the interior to the extent of sound system but other than that I would leave it pretty much stock. All of this is just my 2 cents worth and you can certainly do anything and everything you want to do (as long as it is legal anyway).

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior with black birdseye maple, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain sensing wipers, Tow Package with OEM hitch and 18 inch Thundercloud rims with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas
1998 GS 300 (Previous and first Lexus)
Old 01-28-09, 01:22 PM
RA080623
Driver

Originally Posted by Gibster
Which handles did you get? I had a newer RX as a loaner and liked the chrome handles. Thanks.
I picked them up on Ebay from Japan. They arrived in 5 days. Faster shipping I have ever seen. His Ebay ID is zeroism702. I have to say communication with this seller was great and the handles were OEM.

Gone through the winter and so far no issues.
Old 01-29-09, 07:51 AM
Chazzman
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone disconnected/removed the dashboard speakers from their system? I don't think they provide a very good soundstage and am thinking about going for the more standard 4-corner (2 front, 2 rear) speaker configurations. Center channel speakers are great for dialog on home theater systems, but I think they detract from music.

I am curious if the bluetooth output is wired solely to the dashboard speakers and if I would lose the ability to hear telephone conversations if I pulled those speakers out of the system.

Any input?
Old 01-29-09, 07:54 AM
Chazzman
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if this should live in the electronic forum instead -- will post it there.

Last edited by Chazzman; 01-29-09 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 02:19 AM
rich001
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've replaced my entire Lexus audio system with an aftermarket audio/ video system. This was done a couple of years ago and I'm so glad that I did it. I also replaced most of the interior lighting and some of the exterior lights.
As for the AV system, most of the system is from Alpine, the 4- 8" subwoofers are Rockford Fosgate, and a K40 laser defuser is installed up front. I've included the link to the cardomain site which has several pics of my audio/ video build.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2413004
Old 02-10-09, 11:05 AM
Chazzman
Driver School Candidate

Default WOW -- impressive

I love the work you did here as that is similar to what I have done with my previous vehicles. I have a handful of questions for you if you have the time to exchange email. Fell free to drop me a personal message if you have the time... great job!
Old 02-10-09, 01:40 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

About the most striking thing you can do is replace the wheels and tires with larger options. 20" wheels look good. Go to Tirerack.com and explore wheel options and you can get an idea of what it will look like.

Check this site for some cool ad-ons: http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php?id=33