RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Poor Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-08, 02:22 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I seriously doubt that but let me again say that I've owned over a dozen new Toyota and Lexus vehicles and I sure don't see the decline you are trying to imply. I believe just the opposite is true, and JD Powers apparently does too. Seems the only source for your assertion are two or three people here on this forum. All manufacturers have problems occasionally. Toyota and Lexus are no exceptions. They statistically have had fewer problems than their competition but they are not immune. I don't see a trend indicating a decline. Where are your statistical facts to support that? I've shown several to support just the opposite.

I can sympathize with you if your are having problems but I don't think two or three people on this forum make make a statistically valid trend.
Do a search on Toyota quality slipping and you'll find plenty of info.
There's absolutely no doubt that quality has been falling.
Toyota's quest to be #1 is one reason,IMO.Too many vehicles produced,too fast.
There was a time Toyota would stop the line to fix a problem.Not any more
Toyota recalls are much,much higher than say 5 years ago.
Check out the Tundra issues.
Go on a Camry forum and read how many V6 Camry vehicles have a trans flare problems and other issues.Es 350s also had trans issues.
I had a '07 Camry XLE that had fit and finish issues both inside and out.Also has too many creaks and rattles.
The car was a dissapointment.I'm actually glad a deer ran across the road and caused $8K in damage.Gave me an excuse to get rid of the car.

JD Powers survey is a joke.Especially the 90 day survey.
When you see all time Japanese vehicle loving Consumer Reports now giving a V6 Camry low points and no recommendation,you know Toyota quality has been slipping.

Lexus quality isn't up to what it was years ago either.
My former IS was also a rattle box.
Rattles,creaks and wind noise on most models.

When my service advisor says the '08 GS has had the same dash rattles and creaks since the 3rd generation started in '06.That speaks volumes on how quality has gone down.Three years...same problem.
When I mentioned that I don't have any dash issues,he said wait till the cold weather arrives.He has the fix,though.That's great isn't it?

So far the RX and GS have been trouble free.
Any problems with either vehicle and I'll try another company next and put the X on Lexus like I have with American badges..

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-11-08 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-11-08, 06:35 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Do a search on Toyota quality slipping and you'll find plenty of info.
There's absolutely no doubt that quality has been falling.
Toyota's quest to be #1 is one reason,IMO.Too many vehicles produced,too fast.
There was a time Toyota would stop the line to fix a problem.Not any more
Toyota recalls are much,much higher than say 5 years ago.
Check out the Tundra issues.
Go on a Camry forum and read how many V6 Camry vehicles have a trans flare problems and other issues.Es 350s also had trans issues.
I had a '07 Camry XLE that had fit and finish issues both inside and out.Also has too many creaks and rattles.
The car was a dissapointment.I'm actually glad a deer ran across the road and caused $8K in damage.Gave me an excuse to get rid of the car.

JD Powers survey is a joke.Especially the 90 day survey.
When you see all time Japanese vehicle loving Consumer Reports now giving a V6 Camry low points and no recommendation,you know Toyota quality has been slipping.

Lexus quality isn't up to what it was years ago either.
My former IS was also a rattle box.
Rattles,creaks and wind noise on most models.

When my service advisor says the '08 GS has had the same dash rattles and creaks since the 3rd generation started in '06.That speaks volumes on how quality has gone down.Three years...same problem.
When I mentioned that I don't have any dash issues,he said wait till the cold weather arrives.He has the fix,though.That's great isn't it?

So far the RX and GS have been trouble free.
Any problems with either vehicle and I'll try another company next and put the X on Lexus like I have with American badges..
thanks saved me some time. i need to find that link with the japanese government investigation......
Old 09-11-08, 11:18 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
jfelbab, I think you are the only one here who think that Toyota / Lexus have not decline in quality.
Big statement. I also don't think that quality has decreased.

Toyota are one of the world leaders (some say the world leader) in two disciplines: Lean and Six Sigma. Six Sigma is about quality and Lean is about reducing production times. They are not mutually exclusive.

Putting that aside, all surveys etc don't indicate that there has been any reduction in quality.

When you produce so many vehicles, it is impossible to produce 100% defect free cars and it is bound that some will fall into Forum members hands.

Some issues are also about perception. The brake pedal feel isn't as good as I would like, the vehicles hesitates more than I would like, etc It's hard to build anything that can cover the full gambit of human expectations.
Old 09-11-08, 11:39 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul...ss/fi-toyota22

Toyota Rebuked by Government on Recall Policy

July 22, 2006 in print edition C-2

In a rare public scolding of Japan’s biggest company, the Japanese government reprimanded Toyota Motor Corp. on Friday and called for improved recall practices amid a criminal investigation into a 2004 accident.

The Transportation Ministry ordered the automaker to report by Aug. 4 steps it was taking to better monitor reports of defects with its cars and to speed up communication within the company about possible problems, a ministry official said.

The ministry did not fine Toyota or find it guilty of breaking the law.

But public prosecutors, who are independent of the government, may still file charges against Toyota executives under investigation.

Toyota Executive Vice President Masatami Takimoto said the carmaker would do its best to beef up its practices as instructed by the ministry.

“We take the directives from the ministry very seriously,” he said.

The recall investigation – coming at a time when Toyota recalls are ballooning – has been a major embarrassment for Toyota because of its solid reputation for quality.

This month, police said they were sending papers to prosecutors on three Toyota executives as part of a criminal investigation of negligence at the company. Police say they suspect the three executives knew about the problems as far back as 1996 but took no action.

The defects being investigated, a suspected faulty steering part, may have caused an August 2004 head-on crash in southwestern Japan that injured five people, police say.

Toyota has denied any wrongdoing, saying the reported problems had not appeared serious enough to warrant a recall until October 2004, when Toyota recalled in Japan 330,000 Hilux Surf vehicles manufactured between December 1988 and May 1996.

The 2004 recall affected more than a million vehicles sold in 180 nations, including the United States, and some problems had been reported from abroad, according to Toyota.

None of the reports from abroad had caused accidents, the company said.

At a news conference Thursday, Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe bowed deeply and apologized for the recall troubles that had stirred up worries among customers. He denied wrongdoing.

“I take this seriously and see it as a crisis,” Watanabe said.

ill find more later........

*********THIS IS FROM A MAJOR NEWSPAPER***********
Old 09-12-08, 12:34 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul...ss/fi-toyota22

Toyota Rebuked by Government on Recall Policy

July 22, 2006 in print edition C-2

In a rare public scolding of Japan’s biggest company, the Japanese government reprimanded Toyota Motor Corp. on Friday and called for improved recall practices amid a criminal investigation into a 2004 accident.

The Transportation Ministry ordered the automaker to report by Aug. 4 steps it was taking to better monitor reports of defects with its cars and to speed up communication within the company about possible problems, a ministry official said.

The ministry did not fine Toyota or find it guilty of breaking the law.

But public prosecutors, who are independent of the government, may still file charges against Toyota executives under investigation.

Toyota Executive Vice President Masatami Takimoto said the carmaker would do its best to beef up its practices as instructed by the ministry.

“We take the directives from the ministry very seriously,” he said.

The recall investigation – coming at a time when Toyota recalls are ballooning – has been a major embarrassment for Toyota because of its solid reputation for quality.

This month, police said they were sending papers to prosecutors on three Toyota executives as part of a criminal investigation of negligence at the company. Police say they suspect the three executives knew about the problems as far back as 1996 but took no action.

The defects being investigated, a suspected faulty steering part, may have caused an August 2004 head-on crash in southwestern Japan that injured five people, police say.

Toyota has denied any wrongdoing, saying the reported problems had not appeared serious enough to warrant a recall until October 2004, when Toyota recalled in Japan 330,000 Hilux Surf vehicles manufactured between December 1988 and May 1996.

The 2004 recall affected more than a million vehicles sold in 180 nations, including the United States, and some problems had been reported from abroad, according to Toyota.

None of the reports from abroad had caused accidents, the company said.

At a news conference Thursday, Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe bowed deeply and apologized for the recall troubles that had stirred up worries among customers. He denied wrongdoing.

“I take this seriously and see it as a crisis,” Watanabe said.

ill find more later........

*********THIS IS FROM A MAJOR NEWSPAPER***********
2004? Is this still relevant?
Old 09-12-08, 05:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmmm, some should tell the Toyota CEO that apologizes to the Toyota customers for the recent poor quality that there is no need for the apology
Old 09-12-08, 11:15 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by harleydjce
2004? Is this still relevant?
it sure hasnt gotten getter.
Old 09-12-08, 12:28 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
it sure hasnt gotten getter.
Again, just your opinion. Facts from trusted sources belie that opinion.

Lexus Ranks Highest in Dependability for 14th Year

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, CA, August 7—For a 14th consecutive year, Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability, improving by 25 problems per 100 vehicles since 2007 to achieve a score of 120 PP100, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Vehicle Dependability Study. Following in the top five rankings are Mercury, Cadillac, Toyota and Acura, respectively.
BTW, this is not the 90 day initial quality survery results but the long term study of vehicles 3-5 years old. The actual facts don't point to declining quality at all.

Another study finds:
... initial quality reports – measurement of owner satisfaction immediately after taking delivery of a new vehicle – aren’t nearly as important as reports that measure long-term owner satisfaction – those taken after three years, or more, of ownership.

That’s an area in which Toyota products get high marks indeed.

In fact, in one of the most respected of owner-loyalty studies, the J.D. Power annual customer retention study, Toyota and Lexus rank first and second.

The study showed that in 2007, 64.6% of Toyota's buyers traded their current Toyota for a new one. The Lexus customer-retention rate was 63%. The two brands have topped the J.D. Power customer-retention survey every year since 2004, though in 2005 the order was swapped, with Lexus on top, followed by Toyota.
According to Toyota's Group VP of Corporate Communications the total number of recalls for Toyota were:

14 in 2005 covering 2.28m vehicles
12 in 2006 covering 814k vehicles
6 in 2007 covering 640k vehicles

When looking at these numbers it is important to put it in perspective. Industry-wide last year, recalls were up by about 30% as manufacturers recalled nearly 15 million vehicles for repairs. In fact, there were 588 separate Safety Recall campaigns involving 14.5 million vehicles in 2007, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data as of January 17.

The facts just don't support your opinion that quality is declining at Toyota. I prefer facts to opinion myself, and you are certainly welcome to believe your opinion, but if you want to convince people that your opinion is correct you need to do a bit better at countering the reality of the actual data.
Old 09-12-08, 12:44 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Again, just your opinion. Facts from trusted sources belie that opinion.

BTW, this is not the 90 day initial quality survery results but the long term study of vehicles 3-5 years old. The actual facts don't point to declining quality at all.

Another study finds:

According to Toyota's Group VP of Corporate Communications the total number of recalls for Toyota were:

14 in 2005 covering 2.28m vehicles
12 in 2006 covering 814k vehicles
6 in 2007 covering 640k vehicles

When looking at these numbers it is important to put it in perspective. Industry-wide last year, recalls were up by about 30% as manufacturers recalled nearly 15 million vehicles for repairs. In fact, there were 588 separate Safety Recall campaigns involving 14.5 million vehicles in 2007, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data as of January 17.

The facts just don't support your opinion that quality is declining at Toyota. I prefer facts to opinion myself, and you are certainly welcome to believe your opinion, but if you want to convince people that your opinion is correct you need to do a bit better at countering the reality of the actual data.
It's not just the recalls.
It's the rattles,squeaks,creaking etc.
It's the many TSBs for all kinds of issues.
More TSBs than in the past.
So far 20 TSBs on the RX350/400H..

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-12-08 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 12:46 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

since you love to refernce JD power....heres one for you.

Ford has passed Toyota as the leader of the pack in the initial quality rankings conducted by J.D. Power and Associates in a survey result that the firm released just recently. Porsche was able to again dominate the overall ranking of brands averaging 91 problems per 100 vehicles and comparing that with the 2007 industry average of 125 problems per 100 vehicles, the German sportscar maker has recorded lesser problems as compared to what it has obtained last year with 124 problems per 100 vehicles.

Ford Motor Corporation the major stockholder of the Mazda PCV valve maker, Mazda with a total of 33.4 percent stakes has earned segment awards for the Ford Mustang, Lincoln Mark LT, Lincoln MKZ, Mercury Milan, and Mazda MX-5 Miata.

On the other hand, Toyota Motor Corporation that previously grabbed the top spot in 11 categories was able to snap only four top spot this year with its 4Runner, Sequoia, Tacoma, and Lexus RX350/RX400h.

Ford's Lincoln brand ranked third place in overall nameplate rankings with an average of 100 problems per 100 vehicles. It was lagging behind Porsche and Toyota's Lexus luxury brand with average of 94 problems per 100 vehicles. It can be remembered that last year, 2006 Lincoln was in the 12th position and its remarkable jumped to third place this year simply shows the improvement in quality that the brand has achieved.

Unfortunately for Toyota its list of quality leaders has declined in their qualities based on the study released last Monday by Strategic Vision, a San Diego-based market research company and consultant to automakers.

Aside from Ford, Hyundai Motor a South Korean automaker, which didn't have any winning entries last year, has surprised the rest of its competitors when it led in five categories this year outperforming its European, Japanese, and US rivals.

Joe Ivers, J.D. Power's Executive Director of Quality and Customer Satisfaction has said that there's no clear answer for the sudden decline in quality of Toyota's cars that includes the Corolla, Prius, and Lexus models.

It is also worth noting according to Ivers that Toyota executives have been speaking publicly about their concerns on how to manage the high quality of Toyota vehicles during rapid growth.

The result from the J.D. Power survey shows that Hyundai dropped from third place to 12th. Oddes explained that the re-launched of vehicles such as the Santa Fe did not turned out the way the automaker has expected fortunately Elantra performed well init segment.

The J.D. Power survey result also shows Lincoln followed by Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, and Toyota. Land Rover together with Saab and Mercedes-Benz has the most improved nameplates basing on the survey.

J.D. Power survey was based on data collected from more than 97,000 buyers and leases of new 2007 vehicles after 90 days of ownership.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...n_quality.html

***DISCLAIMER i am in no way implying anyone's car is bad and further am not taking a shot at anyone's ownership of a toyota/lexus or a future purchase of a toyota/lexus model****
Old 09-12-08, 02:22 PM
jfelbab

It's not just the recalls.
It's the rattles,squeaks,creaking etc.
It's the many TSBs for all kinds of issues.
More TSBs than in the past.
So far 20 TSBs on the RX350/400H..
Here is the TSIB record.

2004 - RX330 = 58
2005 - RX330 = 25
2006 - RX350 = 13
2007 - RX350 = 7
2008 - RX350 = 6
2009 - RX350 = 1

2006 - RX400H = 12
2007 - RX400H = 3
2008 - RX400H = 1

Once again the facts don't point to a decline in quality. Sorry, but as you can see the number of TSIB's is markedly less, not more.
Old 09-12-08, 02:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Here is the TSIB record.

2004 - RX330 = 58
2005 - RX330 = 25
2006 - RX350 = 13
2007 - RX350 = 7
2008 - RX350 = 6
2009 - RX350 = 1

2006 - RX400H = 12
2007 - RX400H = 3
2008 - RX400H = 1

Once again the facts don't point to a decline in quality. Sorry, but as you can see the number of TSIB's is markedly less, not more.
Do find the increase in rattles,creaks,squeaks and wind noise complaints over previous generation Lexus models acceptable?
Old 09-12-08, 03:43 PM
jfelbab

Do find the increase in rattles,creaks,squeaks and wind noise complaints over previous generation Lexus models acceptable?
Do you have any documented evidence that there is an increase in these issues? That's what is missing for me. There simply has been no data presented that supports the contention that the complaints are increasing or that the quality is decreasing.

So where are you getting your facts from? So far all I see is a few forum members saying that quality is decreasing but when asked for factual documented evidence of that claim I don't see any.

FWIW, I believe you would see items such as squeaks, rattles, wind noise, etc., addressed in the TSIB's for the current RX just as they have been in the past. You only need look back to the 04, 05 TSIB's for proof of that as they have been addressed there.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-12-08 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 04:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota blames rapid growth for quality problems
The Associated PressPublished: March 13, 2008

Share Article

Text Size

TOKYO: The president of Toyota Motor acknowledged Thursday its rapid global growth was partly behind an increase in quality problems in recent years.

The company has improved quality controls and is sticking to its sales targets, including those in North America, despite worries about a credit crunch and a slowdown in the auto market, said the president, Katsuaki Watanabe.

Speaking at the Japan National Press Club, Watanabe said the reasons behind the defects were varied, involving development, design, production, suppliers and maintenance.

But Watanabe said that at least some of the problems, including time pressures and shortage of experts, stemmed from the company's huge growth in recent years. "That is not zero," he said, referring to quality problems rooted in Toyota's expansion.

Jim,I've had Toyota vehicles for years and they were a better built vehicles in the past.
My list price $30K '07 Camry was a POS.I hated the car.I explained the issues I had in this thread.
My IS had issues.Minor issues like rattles,creaks but issues.Also had a rear suspension issue when I traded the car in.
I figured I'd give Lexus another shot and buy a GS.
Again,my Lexus service advisor said I'll be getting the dash rattles and creaks that have been a problem the last three years in the GS when the cold weather arrives.
My $52460 list GS.
The RX is a lease so I'm not that **** about the vehicle.If there is a problem,I'll get a loaner and save some mileage.
I treat it like a rental which it is.Don't buy it when I turn it in.
The internet is full of article on Toyota's decline in quality.
Toyota execs admit that fact and say they're taking steps to turn it around.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-12-08 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-13-08, 11:43 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perception

Can the percentage of the problem be approximately the same, but since Toyota has been growing that number just seems bigger or more noticeable? Unless the car has major failures or design flaws, the minor stuff like little rattles/creaks are a matter of perception. For a normal person, people don't notice much (minor stuff like little rattles/creaks when traveling at highway speed (60-80 mph) over rough pavement and the occasional pot holes) - tires noise probably drown out a lot of these stuff anyway. After all, the car is being put together with hundreds of different parts and in such condition, it bounds to have something a little loose/creaks. If you're really being **** about a car, then nothing out there would really fit the bill - you're bound to find something wrong with every car ever made.

My 04 RX330 has not seen any big issue to date except for the minor things with the moon roof loosing the memory and the passenger window making a little bit more noise at the very end on it's way up (probably a little grease is needed here). I don't do the stealership maintenance schedules. I do all the little maintenance my self (oil changes, air/cabin filter, and wiper blades - does rain a bit here is Seattle). I even change my own brakes (very easy by the way). If the maintenance is a bit tougher, I bring it to a mechanic friend. My 06 IS350 has a little bit of a gap (little more than normal) where the center air meet the console. And once in a great while, I get a start up noise that Lexus has a TSB for. Other than that the car has been awesome. My 05 SC430 which I bought on Ebay (big risk and would never do again) was coming from a lease. The interior was a little beat up from the previous owner (from my perspective anyway - I tend to baby my car a little) and may need new engine mounts, but mechanically, it has been fined (no issues). So yeah, Toyota record is not perfect, but overall, it's been OK for me. Now, if the RX has the same record as the Mercedes ML though, that would be another story - I'll completely abandon the brand.

Quick Reply: Poor Quality