RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Poor Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 08:02 AM
leonrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Quality

I have a 2008 RX purchased about 5 months ago and what a piece of junk. The engine was pulled with less than 5000 miles for a timing chain seal, the transfer case was leaking before that and the driver side leather seat was replaced for pealing. The car pulled to the right. The sun roof rattled, white dust from the AC system, on and on it goes. I have been to 3 dealers. I traded my X3 BMW due to transmission problems. What a mistake. The car just does not seem like a luxury car. More cheap like a Toyota, Honda (economy car). Is Lexus just badge engineering like General Motors and Ford with the RX,GX,ES,LX etc. I am not impressed with Lexus. My coworker has problems with his 2007 GX too. Drive shaft joints and transfer case problems. I contacted Lexus in CA and they tell me I have a warranty. I would for go the 4 season treatment at the dealer for a car built better than a Kia. I can not and feel I should not have to trade it and loose more money as I just went through this with my BMW. My wifes TL (Yea, a Honda) has been only back for normal service in 25,000 miles. Maybe I should have bought a MDX.
Old 09-01-08, 12:53 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by leonrx350
I have a 2008 RX purchased about 5 months ago and what a piece of junk. The engine was pulled with less than 5000 miles for a timing chain seal, the transfer case was leaking before that and the driver side leather seat was replaced for pealing. The car pulled to the right. The sun roof rattled, white dust from the AC system, on and on it goes. I have been to 3 dealers. I traded my X3 BMW due to transmission problems. What a mistake. The car just does not seem like a luxury car. More cheap like a Toyota, Honda (economy car). Is Lexus just badge engineering like General Motors and Ford with the RX,GX,ES,LX etc. I am not impressed with Lexus. My coworker has problems with his 2007 GX too. Drive shaft joints and transfer case problems. I contacted Lexus in CA and they tell me I have a warranty. I would for go the 4 season treatment at the dealer for a car built better than a Kia. I can not and feel I should not have to trade it and loose more money as I just went through this with my BMW. My wifes TL (Yea, a Honda) has been only back for normal service in 25,000 miles. Maybe I should have bought a MDX.
Toyota or Honda?
More like a Yugo.
Yep,looks like you should have bought a MDX.
Old 09-01-08, 02:11 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Doesn't RI have a lemon law? I'd ask Lexus to replace the vehicle. This is not the norm for Lexus vehicles.

Old 09-01-08, 04:37 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

I went through a similar albeit less mechanically induced stress with the '08 I bought last year. Just be calm, factual, persistent and patient with the dealer principle and Lexus; they came through for me and will likely for you as well. I was very impressed with the fact that they do stand behind their product. Now am a happy owner of an '09 PB in Truffle. Just hope the euphoria persists.
Old 09-01-08, 05:06 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! My 05 330 has been absolutely trouble and rattle free. Gas mileage is above the EPA estimates, and the car acts and drives like a luxury SUV. No leaks, rattles, nuttin.

Sorry for your problems.
Old 09-02-08, 05:12 AM
sama
Pole Position

What warranty, You should ask Lexus to replace the vehicle under Lemon laws, no questions asked provided you maintain all the documentation meticulously and be persistent in a calm way. One of my co-worker's V6 Camry was also replaced for transmission related issues: timing chain seal, the transfer case leaking .
RX350 uses the same V6 and I suspect the engine was manufactured at the new production line in West Virginia starting 2008. Prior to that there were no know issues atleast on the RX350/330 for timing chain seal, the transfer case leaking .
There were known standard issues related to dash rattling/pulling to the right etc.
Old 09-02-08, 08:29 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Getting a lot of whiners on here.
Old 09-02-08, 10:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
The problem is,he`s venting his frustration in the wrong place.He should be on corporate`s back,or the dealership.We can`t do much for him here.
Old 09-02-08, 12:33 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus114
The problem is,he`s venting his frustration in the wrong place.He should be on corporate`s back,or the dealership.We can`t do much for him here.
Very true.
Old 09-02-08, 01:47 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 2nd RX and 3rd Lexus overall.

I relatively minor issue over 3 vehicles but then all Aussie Lexus are made in Japan.

From what I've seen, you guys in NA have a fair share of problems with NA made vehicles across the board. Both the Alabama BMW's and Tuscaloosa Merc have their share of problems as well.
Old 09-02-08, 03:02 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Let's see what will you do if your $40 K brand new Lexus comes up with the same problems and do not know what to do. First thing is you will be frustrated, then accept the fact there is a problem with the vehicle and try to get it fixed.

It is easy to say that People are whiners , until you become one.
No vehicle is perfect including Lexus, the vehicle reliability in terms of build quality is not the same that it used to be. Toyota even accepted that because of the growth rate in the past few years.

This article sums it up:
Mighty Toyota's Growing Pains

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/13/t...growing-pains/

The best approach for this owner would be to contact Lexus and see if they will replace the vehicle.

I remember they have done this to one CL memeber couple of months ago.

Last edited by tjain; 09-02-08 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 03:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

how come i am the only rx owner who is happy with teir car/ i mean it isn"t as well built as our 2001 es, but i mean if all of you rx owners who hate your cars, dump them and please dont moan about them her and ruin the worry the experience for those of us who enjpy them or plan to buy one
Old 09-02-08, 05:02 PM
leonrx350
Driver School Candidate

I feel other members should be aware of the issues. I hope some Lexus employees read this forum. I have contacted the RI AG's office regarding the lemon law, the RI lemon law has no provisions for multiple problems that have been repaired. (just things that are not corrected). The woman in the AG's office said since 2004 1163 (different people) calls have been placed to their office regarding lemon law action for the Lexus RX. Lexus just wants to keep repairing the car! Today the passenger side window went down fine and only went up 2/3 of the way. It only closed after 10 minutes of playing with the switch. Does any one know what the Lexus RX defects per unit are now vs prior years? Is the oil leak and jerky, slow down shift transmission problems common?

I found a post where a member got his RX exchanged, but then in future posts he said that he had major problems with the new one.

Last edited by leonrx350; 09-02-08 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 05:09 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tjain
Let's see what will you do if your $40 K brand new Lexus comes up with the same problems and do not know what to do. First thing is you will be frustrated, then accept the fact there is a problem with the vehicle and try to get it fixed.

It is easy to say that People are whiners , until you become one.
No vehicle is perfect including Lexus, the vehicle reliability in terms of build quality is not the same that it used to be. Toyota even accepted that because of the growth rate in the past few years.

This article sums it up:
Mighty Toyota's Growing Pains

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/13/t...growing-pains/

The best approach for this owner would be to contact Lexus and see if they will replace the vehicle.

I remember they have done this to one CL memeber couple of months ago.
As it was mentioned many times before, I don't see the point of "whining" and ranting and posting all your issues with your car here in this forum. Scroll up and read that post over again. It is whining at its purest form. Not sure what kind of responses one expects to get in these types of posts... "Awww, poor baby?"

Now when the post is written in more a constructive fashion and asking for some feedback, then sure you'll receive more serious answers in return. Until then, do something about the issue on hand instead of whining like a baby on this forum. That's the least I can expect with owners of a "$40k car."
Old 09-02-08, 05:49 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to be in contact with Lexus Corporate. Look at the thread reference below. He got his problem Lexus RX350 REPLACED with a new vehicle.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=354505

Quick Reply: Poor Quality