RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX vs. Porsche Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 10:20 AM
RXkillah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX vs. Porsche Cayenne

I know a thread on the comparison between these two SUVS has most likely already been posted. . .but I wanna hear your thoughts!
Old 09-02-08, 12:34 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Why? They both have 4 wheels.
Old 09-03-08, 01:24 AM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad comparison need to know what models, how about cayenne S vs. new fx50
Old 09-04-08, 12:43 AM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

one's a porsche and the other's a lexus - duh haha
Old 09-04-08, 06:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I personally think the Cayenne is a bit small on the interior. I consider it more of a high-priced trophy SUV that really is in quite a distinct market segment from the RX. The FX50 no doubt is one that comes closer and I can see that stealing some of the Cayenne segment given the current state of the economy. Lexus, along with Acura and its MDX, has tried to keep the RX in the same segment, basically a luxury family SUV (and not the performance SUV like one particular moderator on this board happens to feel it should be...or at least have the option of being. ) Basically, the RX is the cash cow, and as long as it continues to be the cash cow, I don't see too many drastic changes being made. If I were a Lexus product manager, I'd pretty much feel that way, and that's the safest way to do it in this economy.
Old 09-04-08, 07:04 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cayenne will pass anything except a gas station
Old 09-04-08, 11:30 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

yeah they aren't really in the same league, and they feel totally different. i just picked up the Cayenne GTS, so i can't really compare to the RX, but maybe it's ok to compare the V6 Cayenne to the RX.

even still, the Cayenne is quite a lot bigger than the RX. the driving experience is very different as well. the Cayenne drives like a tank while the RX is more like a raised passenger car. i like them both; it just depends on your driving style.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX vs. Porsche Cayenne-gts-red.jpg  
Old 09-04-08, 02:16 PM
RXkillah
Driver School Candidate

My boyfriend got the Cayenne and then changed his mind and then got the Cayman (I know, two totally diff. cars. I told him the Cayenne is more my kind car. . .aka the chick/mommy SUV). While he had the Cayenne, I test drove it and liked it a lot, and I was just wondering if I should keep my RX 350 or trade it in for a Cayenne V6. But thanks for your opinions!
Old 09-04-08, 02:34 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

like comparing apples to oranges and the only similairties is that they are both fruits.
Old 09-04-08, 03:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by RXkillah
My boyfriend got the Cayenne and then changed his mind and then got the Cayman (I know, two totally diff. cars. I told him the Cayenne is more my kind car. . .aka the chick/mommy SUV). While he had the Cayenne, I test drove it and liked it a lot, and I was just wondering if I should keep my RX 350 or trade it in for a Cayenne V6. But thanks for your opinions!
Ah yes, that beloved Cayenne V6. Last time I saw one of those...it was in my rear view mirror at the drag strip back in Mexico.
Old 09-04-08, 04:58 PM
RXkillah
Driver School Candidate

Fine, how about comparing the MDX to the RX? Obviously the MDX is bigger with the fold down back seats, but is the nav superior on the RX or MDX?
Old 09-04-08, 05:18 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fine, how about comparing the MDX to the RX? Obviously the MDX is bigger with the fold down back seats, but is the nav superior on the RX or MDX?
Your getting closer in your apples to oranges comparison tho, vs the cayenne to RX. At least the MDX and RX are both front wheel biased awd cars.

The (new) MDX is still closer in comparison to the BMW X5 (Acura feels so anyway). I can't personally comment as I have not driven the new MDX, however, my RX is up for replacement within the next 6-9 months and the 07-09 MDX is looking mighty fine.

Handling and reliability of the new MDX along with 3rd row seating option being the primary reasons for consideration.
Old 09-04-08, 11:51 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i think you can get XM nav traffic updates, which for people who commute a lot could be a great help. plus i always liked the nav system in hondas/acuras. i hate how the lexus nav doesnt let even the passenger use the nav while the car is in motion. plus for last gen acuras an updated nav disc is around 150 or so while the lexus one is 300+.
Old 09-09-08, 08:17 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Personally I don't think you can compare any of those SUVs to the RX they are all Luxury SUVs easily 45,000+ plus territory. It would be more far to compare the RX to a BMW X3, Mercedes GLK, Acura RDX, the small Cadillac SUV not sure whats its call, but not the Esclade, Lincoln Aviator, Hyundia Borrego, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited trims and the new Buick SUV.
Old 09-10-08, 05:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the Honda CRV is faster 0-60 mph than the Cayenne V6

Quick Reply: Lexus RX vs. Porsche Cayenne