RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Quality Issues Solved!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 03:20 PM
leonrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality Issues Solved!!

Well the RX/Camry based econo lux car is no longer an issue. I was off today and drove to my local BMW dealer and drove a new X5. What a ride!!! A true lux car. I traded and took a beating on the RX. ($28K) But piece of mind is worth it. I get free service and the car drove fantastic. Handled better, quieter, and hell of a lot more solid feeling. I was a little afraid after my X3 experience, however the Lexus was worse. They had 2 07, 2 08 and 1 09 (former BMW owner that could not stand the RX)that had been traded in the past 2 months!!!In all honesty the Lexus is showing its dated technology more and more. I also feel better that my new ride is not based on an economy car like the Camry. At least BMW has no economy class cars to re-badge.
Camry/highlander=RX
Camry/Avalon=ES
4 runner=GX
Land Cruiser= LX
Maybe GS and LS are closer to Lux cars.

BMW
X3=x3
x5=x5
3 series=3 series

Get the point.

The target market for Lexus is people moving from Honda, Toyota, Chevy. Kinda like a Buick.

Lexus discounts their cars at least 10% even in good times. BMW and Benz do very little.

By the way the guy who got his RX exchanged had issues and traded it!!

I purchased my RX based on the Lexus reputation and secondly on price. Well you get what you pay for.

He had a lot of issues with the second one. I PM him and he said Lexus service is great but you pay $10K more for a Toyota to get it.

I do not want you guys and gals to think I am bashing Lexus, but my experience has been terrible. Deep down you know the RX is just a Camry wagon!! Sorry. Good Bye!!!!
Old 09-05-08, 04:21 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Later, dude. Enjoy the Bimmer!
Old 09-05-08, 04:25 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, looked into that before I bought the rx. You get free bmw service because their reliability is soooo bad, nobody would buy their cars without the free service! Just try to sell it when the warranty is about to run out! Its just a pile of lose bolts. So long sucka!
Old 09-05-08, 06:40 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

This guy is just too smart for us. All these Lexus sitting on the BMW lot. Lets see, he drops $28K and brags about that, pays huge for a BMW, the lot is full of RX, which the dealer will sell at huge margin (why else would a dealer keep them around); man this guy is smart! Knows just how dealers work; something about making more money on used cars than on new ones.

Yes, it's a Camry wagon (LOL). And, if it's even close to that, it's bad why? One of the best selling, highest regarded sedans around. Hmm: sounds like a bad thing to me!

Yes, you get what you pay for. Free service. I had an Audi in the late '80's when the Card was all the rage. At 5 years of age and just over 135000 Km, the only people that would give me anything for it was a wrecking yard!

Too smart for us; good thing he moved on.
Old 09-05-08, 06:47 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah, a genius. says he was a price shopper then takes the big $28K loss, finally cracks the code that the RX is in need of a makeover and gets his smug on to make himself feel better.

could see all his points if used to decide not to buy, but copping an attitude afterwards just makes one look like a BMW owner with a nice car and small brain.
Old 09-05-08, 06:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i never understood what you people do on test drives? and i think econolux is a stupid term, 40 grand is cheap? people say that its cheap yet EVERYONE *****es bout gas, only in america and well have fun with the x5, my nighbor already traded his back in for a fx45 haha. and im not sticking up for lexus because of the three we have, it is my least favorite but im not saying the same things you are
Old 09-05-08, 07:17 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on the x5. make sure mrurmil doesn't see this thread... his x5 had a myriad of issues.
Old 09-05-08, 10:38 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I am just sorry I had to read through all of his junk. In less than a year he will be unhappy with the bmw and start to look else where.
Old 09-05-08, 10:51 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Why are you guys wasting your time to reply to him?? lol he's long gone...lol
Old 09-05-08, 11:39 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ecount00
oh yeah, a genius. says he was a price shopper then takes the big $28K loss, finally cracks the code that the RX is in need of a makeover and gets his smug on to make himself feel better.

could see all his points if used to decide not to buy, but copping an attitude afterwards just makes one look like a BMW owner with a nice car and small brain.
I think he was saying he GOT $28k for the RX in trade, not that he LOST $28.K
Old 09-06-08, 06:08 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with BMW. You'll need it......

I really don't understand these guys. I just completed a feature comparison between the RX350 Sports Luxury and the X5 Executive available here down under. The BMW had Cornering Brake Control and a slightly larger fuel tank but that was it's only advantage over the RX on pure features. The RX on the other hand, had heaps of things that BMW charge extra for (heated seats etc).

I get free Servicing for 4 years on my RX over here but there is no free servicing with BMW that's for sure.

Typical Badge Snob but it's his money.

Last edited by harleydjce; 09-06-08 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-06-08, 06:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXveryG8
Why are you guys wasting your time to reply to him?? lol he's long gone...lol
Nah,he'll peek to see what's said once or twice.
He'll register on a X5 forum and read about the problems of the X5.
In a few months,I wonder what he'll buy next
Old 09-06-08, 08:59 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Hmmm, I like visiting the dealer for service. If BMW serves bottled water and doughnuts/cookies, I'm getting an X5 too. I'll have to visit the dealer more often for sure.

Threadkiller
Old 09-06-08, 05:30 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok - so a new RX goes for roughly what 40K?
A new X5 is running roughly $50k.
So not only did you take it in the shorts on the trade, you paid a premium for the same ride that has less room and a worse reliability rating. Bravo!

I drooled over the X5 for about 6 months while I did my research. After reading all the X5 forums, Consumer Reports and various other rags I determined that the risk vs reward was not in favor on the X5.
One thing that got me looking at the X5 in the first place was the price point of a used one. As I watched, the value dropped into the tank. A used X5 will command less than a same year RX. Add that to the fact that they are 10k more and that is a bad proposition.

The nice thing about owning the X5 is that the problems you have will be far more serious than the RX. That way you won't have to whine about little niggly stuff like squeaks and rattles and instead it will be things like the transmission losing 1st gear, radio brick, bushings failing, air suspension leaking, various oil and transfer case leaks, etc...
If you're going to whine about a problem it might as well be a big one!

...and since your comment about having a bad experience with an X3 and now you're jumping back into a BMW I'd have to say that you'll be back here next year in a LX.

Your comments about BMW being a "real luxury brand" is off base. In Europe BMW 3 and 5 series are called "company cars or salesman cars" and are comparable to the Ford Mondeo. They are also used as Taxi cabs in many many countries. Broaden your horizons a bit yeah?

Last edited by Chpsk8; 09-06-08 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 06:09 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Move to close this thread.....