RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Self-lowering windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 06:22 PM
BugMan17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self-lowering windows

A few days ago, for a short period of time, my RX 350 would beep all by itself, for no apparent reason. Then all of the windows rolled down and the sun roof opened. I know I can do this with the remote, but one remote was inside hanging on a hook, and the other was in my pocket. The remotes were not activating the windows. I'd like to know what was.
My dealer says I might have had dirt in the remote, causing it to stick, but that was not the case. There were military helicopters in the area, and I suspect there electronics were involved, but how can I make sure this does not happen again. The helicopters were in the area for hurricane evacuation reasons, so hopefully this won't be a frequent occurence, but how do I confirm that they were to blame? Or could it have been a CB or ham radio doing it? But most important, how do I make sure this doesn't happen when I'm parked outside in the rain?
Old 09-09-08, 07:27 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd make sure it's not the key. Go outside and cycle the entire process with your key a couple times. When doing it, stop it in the middle of everything moving and restart it just to make sure the key isn't gummed up. If you can stop and restart it the key should be ok.
If that proves the key is ok, then you can blame the helicopters... and there ain't no way you're stopping the helicopters... you can ask my uncle Tony about that... if you can ever find him... and if you do... tell him "hello" for me... but don't tell it was from me otherwise more helicopters will probably show up again...
Old 09-10-08, 04:30 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It would be pretty difficult for a radio frequency to activate your windows without the complex codes involved. I would suspect the key in your pocket. I've unlocked the doors several times by getting the keys mashed in a tight pocket by squatting down or something - even when I'm in the house - where the buttons might be pushed by other things on my key ring.

Several times I've discovered the car unlocked in the driveway in the morning. I had to get in the habit of locking the car with the remote every night when I lock up and taking the keys out of my pocket and leaving them on the dresser.
Old 09-12-08, 10:12 AM
Arbitrage1
Driver

After having our RX for 6 months, I can tell you that it definitely has electrical issues.

For example, one day I stopped the car, turned it off and took the key out of the ignition. When I opened the door, the car "bing'd" once (the same bing as the seat belt warning). I thought to myself, why did it bing? So I closed the door and reopened it and sure enough it bing'd again, once. Key was out of the ignition, all the windows and doors were closed, it was daytime and the lights were off. Everything was off. So I thought it odd but ignored it. A few weeks later, the same thing happened. This time, I closed the door, started the car, then turned it off, took the key out and opened the door...no bing. So, somethings up there.

The memory seats: 95% of the time, Ill unlock the car, open the door, hit #2 and the seat does what its supposed to. The other 5% of the time, none of the memory buttons do anything when I open the door. I have to get in, start the car, then hit the memory button for the seats to start moving. Somethings up there too.

Im glad the car is leased, or this would be in the back of my mind all the time and I'd be waiting for the one day when I'd put the key in and the car wouldnt start.
Old 09-12-08, 10:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Arbitrage1

Im glad the car is leased, or this would be in the back of my mind all the time .

So true.
Leasing does make most minor issues easier to accept.
We lease the RX too.
Now my GS.....
Old 09-12-08, 01:16 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Arbitrage1 , I think someone else on one of the board had the same ding problem and found the sunroof wasn't closed completely. Try opening and closing the sunroof and see if it cures you problem.
Jeff