RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Possible to replace Gen 4 nav with gen 5 in RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 06:40 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

thats the best way to do it! i am actually working on adding Blind Spot monitoring system added to our '07 RX! Adding some "newish" features so to speak.

Originally Posted by TucsonLJW
Hi rlx101! Thank you for responding! I have done exactly that, install a wireless carplay unit (pictured). I love having two screens instead on one large one (the android mods seem cheep and buggy in addition to ruining the coherency of the interior) and would like to have the nav work as well as possible on the factory display and then use the car play unit for other things. I know that the functionality is not very different, but the ergonomics and retention of OEM parts is very valuable to me. I actually bought a multi-display and nav controller from a gen5 and have been studying the wiring diagrams, is seams very doable, but the harness pins would need to be shuffled around, which is obviously a bummer as that means either splicing into the factory harness (least desirable) and making some kind of custom harness (but I cant buy an OEM one as I would need the reverse socket which the do not make (to my knowledge). I know that many people have commented on the cost being unreasonable for the outcome, but I don't see it that way. I love my car, I have only ever owned two vehicles in my life and I am 43. I intend to keep this car until there are no replacement parts to get. I don't like the new models (or many new cars in fact) as they are too big, the bulk of the car body makes the vehicle feel unwieldy and alienating from the driving experience. Anyway, that is all to say money is not really my prime concern. In my mind the best thing would be to find a custom fabricated harness to mod the pins and then run a new line if I need to for the M13 line. It may be a moon shot at this point, but I am determined, lol! I will update here as it progresses, utter failure or otherwise! Thanks for the comment!

Old 05-29-23, 09:31 PM
TucsonLJW
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE:

It's ALIVE!! lol! So I have the system updated and working, it is not fully polished, few more things to do, but was excited once I got everything working today, though I would post a quick pic:

Old 05-29-23, 11:35 PM
grimer
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE:

It's ALIVE!! lol! So I have the system updated and working, it is not fully polished, few more things to do, but was excited once I got everything working today, though I would post a quick pic:

Well done fitting the system, but isn't the main issue the lack of new maps being released?
Old 06-04-23, 09:45 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

UPDATE:

TELL US HOW YOU DID IT. NOW!

(please )
Old 07-23-23, 09:03 AM
whaler62
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grimer
Well done fitting the system, but isn't the main issue the lack of new maps being released?
But seriously, please tell us how you did it! It looks great.
Old 12-18-23, 08:24 PM
TucsonLJW
8th Gear

Default Late term fail

Oversight. The nav upgrade project came apart under an obvious flaw in my evaluation of the problem. The bus controller function was moved between the multi display and the gateway. By not changing the gateway with the multi display I created some kind of race condition and the system was erratic at startup. Fail. I could have looked into changing the gateway, but the implications of that change would be far more complex. I am a sad panda.
Old 01-18-24, 09:26 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Oversight. The nav upgrade project came apart under an obvious flaw in my evaluation of the problem. The bus controller function was moved between the multi display and the gateway. By not changing the gateway with the multi display I created some kind of race condition and the system was erratic at startup. Fail. I could have looked into changing the gateway, but the implications of that change would be far more complex. I am a sad panda.
hi there.. if you have your old gen4 display out of the car, could you see if you can read the part number on the back of the LCD module?
I'm trying to replace my "yellowing" screen, just too lazy to remove the unit to replace it again later.
Old 01-18-24, 10:24 AM
TucsonLJW
8th Gear

Gen4
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (01-18-24)