RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 Battery Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 07:58 PM
Nehptis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 330 Battery Indicator

Where is the battery "status" indicator on a 2004 RX330 battery?

The manual shows it on the face of the battery adjacent to the Positive terminal. The manual indicates 3 color states (red, blue, white).

I don't mean the battery light on the dash. But, instead the one that is supposed to be on the battery itself....thanks!

(BTW, my battery is the original factory installed one.)
Old 10-11-08, 09:34 PM
salimshah

Received 1,055 Likes on 952 Posts

It is not a light, but bulls eye look alike. Based on electrolyte chemical status, you see see the color change as you look from the top. You have to position yourself directly above the battery to look straight down the bulls eye.

Salim
Old 10-12-08, 06:19 AM
Nehptis
Driver School Candidate

No luck. I looked straight down, I looked at angles, with natural sunlight, with a flash light...nothing.

This is defintely the factory battery. It has all the proper labels that say Lexus/Toyota, 84 month warranty, etc.

Could not seeing any bulls eye mean that it's dying? I needed a jump yesterday and that's why I'm trying to check the battery status.
Old 10-12-08, 07:37 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mmmmm. 5 year old battery, needed a jump start (presumably for no known reason); that should tell you something, whether or not you can see the blue indicator. I suggest you get a new battery.
Old 10-12-08, 08:36 AM
salimshah

Received 1,055 Likes on 952 Posts

For completeness, do you have a round (1" -1.5" diameter) clear plug/window on the top of the battery?

The real test of the battery is a load test. All shops that sell battery have the tester and can check your current battery. You should also check the new one you pick under load and potentially pick a stronger battery. The color indicates the PH value and it is only one indicator.

Here in central Texas, 3 yr is a good life for a battery.

Salim
Old 10-12-08, 08:44 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would have to agree. count it as a plus that it lasted 5 years. a test is definitive of course, but you've beaten the norm i would say to have it last this long.
Old 10-12-08, 09:42 AM
Nehptis
Driver School Candidate

Awesome info folks...thanks!

Autozone ran a test for me. It failed. Going to get a new battery ASAP.
Old 10-12-08, 01:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

One maintenance items those DIY folks, and even the dealerships themselves, forget about is to check the battery fluid levels. The original battery does have caps which can be removed and fluid levels checked. If you could not see anything in the indicator my guess is that you were running with dry cells -- all the fluids had been cooked out. Gets quite hot under the hood of the RX. Is even easier to see how much fluid is left in the battery when they pull it as the casing, at least in mine, was a smoky white.

Do not use tap, distilled or other types of water. You need to replace/fill with actual battery acid.

For my car's fifth anniversary I went and purchased a new Autozone Duralast 24F Gold battery. Was not having any problems, as I regularly check the battery condition, but thought it about time. Cost was $89.99 plus tax installed. Good peace of mine for the money.
Old 10-14-08, 10:13 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

That battery indicator is worthless. 3 year old battery had the blue indicator (supposedly good battery) but was dead. Batteries don't last beyond 3 years in the high desert. Load testing is the best way.
Old 10-15-08, 07:53 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

I park my RX outdoors in Ohio, and I also replaced the battery after 5 years just to be safe and to be sure I could start it during winter #6. This beats calling for service in the mall parking lot on a cold winter night.
Old 10-15-08, 08:14 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good advice! Batteries have finite lifespans and after three years, it is a good idea to start paying attention to the sales. Some batteries may last longer, particularly if they are the super-premium batteries, or if they are used in light-duty service. Most of us making short trips or depending on the battery to power a number of other appliances like battery chargers for cell phones, computers, pda's, and especially for heavier uses like auxiliary lights, air pumps, and voltage inverters, are going to see maybe three years of reliable service.

If you drain your battery to the point that the starter relay just clicks, get a jump start and proceed on your way, but use a good charger to bring the system all the way back up once you get back home after that experience. Mark your calendar when an event like this happens to you or a family member. Because the battery is usually damaged (usually plates collapse internally, shorting a cell) when a deep discharge occurs, make a note to get it checked and be ready to replace it in about six months, or before the winter driving season.

It sure beats shivering in the cold waiting for a tow truck.
Old 10-15-08, 08:29 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You never need to add acid to a battery. Over time a battery , even a maintenance free battery, may lose water but the acid does not evaporate, only the water does. If your battery level is, low distilled water is the proper liquid to add. Regular loss loss of battery fluid may be due to a problem with the battery or charging system. Either way, time to have a load test done.

If your battery is over 4-5 years old, why not consider replacement on your terms instead of waiting for it to fail you when you are not prepared for it.
Old 10-19-08, 10:35 AM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was used to having a dash voltmeter on my Jeep GC although it was a rather lame one (IIRC the markings corresponded to 1.25 volts per division; they should have drawn proper lines). So when I bought my new 08 RX350 I bought a small digital voltmeter that plugs into the cig lighter outlet...oops I mean 12V outlet. I keep it plugged into the outlet at floor level and I just leave it there all the time.

I figure at some point in the distant future the battery will start getting weak, the starting more difficult, and of course the first thing I'll wonder is whether the battery is low because it's old or because the charging system is faulty. A quick glance down at the voltmeter while the engine is running will instantly prove that the charging system is doing its job.

This is the one I got. Equus 3721. About 15 dollars.

It's not the same as running tests on the battery (load tests and checking each cell with a hygrometer) but instead it can eliminate the charging system as a source of the problem.
Old 10-19-08, 02:55 PM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

I think that when you say: "I figure at some point in the distant future the battery will start getting weak, the starting more difficult, and of course the first thing I'll wonder is whether the battery is low because it's old or because the charging system is faulty," that you are wrong.
My battery (in my SC430) died very suddenly, and I mentioned to my Lexus Service Manager that I did not get any of the early warning signs of a weak battery - just one morning it would not start at all. He said that due to all the electronics in the Lexus cars and in many modern cars, we don't get those signs anymore. One day the car starts fine and the next day it won't. I don't know about the volt meter, but don't wait for difficult starting before getting concerned. You may not get that.
As mentioned above, if you survive 4 or 5 years on a single battery, consider yourself lucky and consider the days of your battery numbered and get a new one. A battery is inexpensive and easy to replace yourself with common tools found about the house.
Happy motoring.