RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 02:55 PM
thenwhat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Last winter our 2008 was equiped with the Michelins. I scared the cr@p out of myself sliding through an intersection after a substantial snowfall. Issue is not starting, but stopping. As was said earlier, the "all season" term has been abused and really doesn't apply. Read up - below -5C the rubber compound used on the all seasons gets too hard to properly grip. Note as well, above +5C winter tires wear too fast and become unstable at highway speeds. Applies today as it's a gorgeous +18C outside right now!

For our 2009, we have the 18" Goodyears which are likely less desireable than the Michelins in snow. I have a set of Xice on aftermarket aluminum wheels and the TPS sitting in waiting in the garage. Will mount once we see protracted colder temps near 0C, likely next week.

Another perspective; estimate for yourself the price of a single small fender bender? My bet is the price of a good set of winter tires costs considerably less than that!
I totally agree with your points, and that is exactly why I was in the market searching for the rim and snow tires. But since what I was told at the dealer, I would take a serious test drive on snow weather this weekend as we are supposed to get some snow at that time. Then I will run and grab the rims ad snow tires in the all seasons are not working well.

Beside that, can someone share their rim specification with me? I have a 09 Rx350 AW, and the owner manual stated that wheel size is 17x6 1/2 J. I have just started to learn about wheel specification, and a little afraid that the wheel shop could sell me a wrong wheel as I noticed that they have specification of wheels of 08 RX only. I think there is no different between 08 and 09 of RXs in term of wheel fitment. ????

thanks.
Old 11-05-08, 03:28 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

..<snip>..Issue is not starting, but stopping. As was said earlier, the "all season" term has been abused and really doesn't apply. ..<snip>
Another perspective; estimate for yourself the price of a single small fender bender? My bet is the price of a good set of winter tires costs considerably less than that!
Couldn't agree more. Any AWD SUV will move just fine with any tire. The "fun" starts when you need to stop fast. All-season really means 3-season, at least in Colorado.

My deductible is $1,000, so a set of $600 tires that do well in winter is well worth the expense.
Old 11-06-08, 06:01 AM
RA080623
Driver

Originally Posted by thenwhat
As I asked both the local lexus dealer and a rim shop where I was looking for rims...Both of them quoted me around $50 each... And I saw a sample from the dealer, I noticed that it is made in Japan. I guess in that case, you'd better purchase it from dealer if the price is not big difference.
Thanks - I thought they would be more. I definitely have to look into them for spring.
Old 12-08-08, 05:22 PM
ohboiya
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if I can downsize to a 16" rim on the 2009 RX350?
Old 12-09-08, 06:26 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 237 Likes on 164 Posts

Play around at this site http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html by entering your stock size and then alternatives. You then need to find a tire in that size, which may or may not be available. Easiest method is to call your trusty local tire store.
Old 12-09-08, 06:53 AM
ohboiya
Driver School Candidate

Play around at this site http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html by entering your stock size and then alternatives. You then need to find a tire in that size, which may or may not be available. Easiest method is to call your trusty local tire store.
Thanks ... I knew about the miata site but I still don't know if a 16" rim would clear the brake assembly ... any thoughts?