RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 02:31 PM
thenwhat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tires

I was about to purchase a set of new snow tires for my 09 RX350 AW today. Then I have learned that the oem all season tires, Energy LX of Micheline, with my RX350 is capable of handling most snow weathers in South-western Ontario as the service adviser told me.

I guess I will try these all season tires this weekend because we will get some snow as the forecast said. It will some sort of phenomena if it works out fine since I always need to replace my all season ones with snow tires for my accord in the winter.......
Old 11-04-08, 02:45 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Michelin tires generally have good winter traction since they have some silicone compound that does not harden like rubber in cold weather. When snow and ice hit your area, try it out in an empty parking lot to be sure.
Old 11-04-08, 03:14 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The michelin oem's are just fine in the snow--when they are brand new and have full tread. I did a lot of highway driving with them thru a lot of snow storms, and they did just fine. However, the 2nd year, I tried to do the same and they were not holding very well, and I went with pirelli scorpion snows. The problem with the michelins is that the original tread depth is not very good, so after they wear for a full year, there simply is not enough left for the 2nd winter.

I would probably have gone with Michelin XIce's instead of the pirellis, but they could not get the 18" in late December (when I finally figured out the michelin oems would not make it thru the 2nd winter).
Old 11-04-08, 04:49 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

tirerack.com

I went with the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's and they are great in deep snow and ice. They are also a very capable touring tire with excellent mileage. Great value as well.
Old 11-04-08, 06:23 PM
thenwhat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by biff44
The michelin oem's are just fine in the snow--when they are brand new and have full tread. I did a lot of highway driving with them thru a lot of snow storms, and they did just fine. However, the 2nd year, I tried to do the same and they were not holding very well, and I went with pirelli scorpion snows. The problem with the michelins is that the original tread depth is not very good, so after they wear for a full year, there simply is not enough left for the 2nd winter.

I would probably have gone with Michelin XIce's instead of the pirellis, but they could not get the 18" in late December (when I finally figured out the michelin oems would not make it thru the 2nd winter).

In Canada's Costco, it only has Latitude® Tour rather for 217.99 each minus $15 discount right now.

Beside that, if I have to switch to winter tire, I will have to buy a set of new rims plus 4 tire pressure sensors that about $900.00 CAD investment. The main reason for purchasing extra rims and the sensors is that I don't have to re-mount tires each time.... if you purchase the tires from Costco and you have your tires mounted on a rim already, Costco can swap your tires for free while other places charge about $10/each for that.
Old 11-04-08, 06:34 PM
Ontario
Driver School Candidate

Hi,, with close to 100,000km on my RX, I go through 2 set of those 4 seasons and I believe the Michelin LX4 is the best balance between drive fun, confort and noise level. Those Bridgestone Alenza just too noise.. (although they just last forever....) One key thing is, LX4 is only 3 season, not good for ice or deep snow.. U will aware that when u hit brake hard and still failed to stop infront of the STOP side..

I puchased a set of aftermarket wheels and set of Dunlop SJ6.. It enable our RX330 perfect for Ontario winter !!!
Old 11-04-08, 07:01 PM
sup_lexio
Driver School Candidate

Costco is your best bet free nitrogen,free rotation and balance for the life of the tire ,free road hazard program,tires covered for 5 years. Well do the math cant beat the offer.
Old 11-04-08, 07:19 PM
thenwhat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sup_lexio
Costco is your best bet free nitrogen,free rotation and balance for the life of the tire ,free road hazard program,tires covered for 5 years. Well do the math cant beat the offer.
I cannot agree with you more on buying tires from Costco over others.

Last edited by thenwhat; 11-04-08 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-04-08, 07:32 PM
sup_lexio
Driver School Candidate

I purchase a set last week from costco michelin mxv4 s8. Nice ride,good handling, decent price.
Old 11-05-08, 07:42 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thenwhat
if you purchase the tires from Costco and you have your tires mounted on a rim already, Costco can swap your tires for free while other places charge about $10/each for that.
I didn't know that CostCo would swap tires for free. Is this only in Canada?
Old 11-05-08, 07:55 AM
thenwhat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
I didn't know that CostCo would swap tires for free. Is this only in Canada?
I don't know about US Costco, but usually US Costco has better/more comprehensive services/products than Canada's counterpart. So I guess you have to call your local Costco's tire department to check that.

In Canada, only Costco tires have such service I think, free swapping, if and only if the tires you are swapping were purchased from Costco.
Old 11-05-08, 08:01 AM
RA080623
Driver

Originally Posted by thenwhat
In Canada's Costco, it only has Latitude® Tour rather for 217.99 each minus $15 discount right now.

Beside that, if I have to switch to winter tire, I will have to buy a set of new rims plus 4 tire pressure sensors that about $900.00 CAD investment. The main reason for purchasing extra rims and the sensors is that I don't have to re-mount tires each time.... if you purchase the tires from Costco and you have your tires mounted on a rim already, Costco can swap your tires for free while other places charge about $10/each for that.
I just put on some Toyo Go2 Plus winter tires on my existing rims. Read they are good in snow so I guess I will find out soon (live in N Ontario).

I plan on putting the Goodyear OEM tires onto new rims in the spring. I figure the rotation will give the GY tires a longer life since they are practically new.

Question - If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your TPS sensors and how much did they set you back?

I was planning on having TPS only on the summer rims and live with the annoying light during the winter.
Old 11-05-08, 08:26 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go for real snow tires not all season ones
Old 11-05-08, 10:27 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts

Last winter our 2008 was equiped with the Michelins. I scared the cr@p out of myself sliding through an intersection after a substantial snowfall. Issue is not starting, but stopping. As was said earlier, the "all season" term has been abused and really doesn't apply. Read up - below -5C the rubber compound used on the all seasons gets too hard to properly grip. Note as well, above +5C winter tires wear too fast and become unstable at highway speeds. Applies today as it's a gorgeous +18C outside right now!

For our 2009, we have the 18" Goodyears which are likely less desireable than the Michelins in snow. I have a set of Xice on aftermarket aluminum wheels and the TPS sitting in waiting in the garage. Will mount once we see protracted colder temps near 0C, likely next week.

Another perspective; estimate for yourself the price of a single small fender bender? My bet is the price of a good set of winter tires costs considerably less than that!
Old 11-05-08, 02:45 PM
thenwhat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by G2SSM
I just put on some Toyo Go2 Plus winter tires on my existing rims. Read they are good in snow so I guess I will find out soon (live in N Ontario).

I plan on putting the Goodyear OEM tires onto new rims in the spring. I figure the rotation will give the GY tires a longer life since they are practically new.

Question - If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your TPS sensors and how much did they set you back?

I was planning on having TPS only on the summer rims and live with the annoying light during the winter.
As I asked both the local lexus dealer and a rim shop where I was looking for rims...Both of them quoted me around $50 each... And I saw a sample from the dealer, I noticed that it is made in Japan. I guess in that case, you'd better purchase it from dealer if the price is not big difference.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires