RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Loud engine sound from rx330 is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 01:43 PM
Ruthplex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud engine sound from rx330 is this normal?

Hi there new member and a first time owner of lexus. Just bought the rx330 2004 model used with 47k miles in it we are very happy with the purchased it runs great and smoothly only thing that we noticed is the engine sounds while driving is kind of loud it is like there is a chopper or plane flyng just above us, while maybe that is exxagerating but it sounds like there is a chopper or plane in a distance is this normal with lexus rx330?

Thanks,
Peter
Old 11-05-08, 04:02 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you should be hearing any type of loud noise. Can you provide additional info? What speed were you driving at? Didn't you test drive the vehicle before you bought it?
Old 11-05-08, 04:25 PM
Ruthplex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
I don't think you should be hearing any type of loud noise. Can you provide additional info? What speed were you driving at? Didn't you test drive the vehicle before you bought it?
just normal speed for city limits/highway limit I can hear it. It is more like an engine running sounds (continously) it is not like a metal to metal sound it's like humming sound but it is noticeable and even my wife noticed it too, the thing is we test drove MDX and RX330 and we both heard it in both vehicles, I research a little and sounds like it is normal sound of the engine it just that its just weird like a roaring sounds. I will search for more and thank you for your reply.
Old 11-05-08, 05:09 PM
dave2K
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not normal

I also recently bought a 2004 RX 330. It is very quiet. I suspect you have some sort of problem. I've had noise in other vehicles from the water pump and other devices under the hood other than the actual engine. Does the sound vary with the engine speed or is it fairly constant? I'd have a mechanic look at it or you could at least try to see where it's coming from by checking under the hood. Also, do you hear it as much with all the windows and sunroof closed?
Old 11-05-08, 05:58 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthplex
just normal speed for city limits/highway limit I can hear it. It is more like an engine running sounds (continously) it is not like a metal to metal sound it's like humming sound but it is noticeable and even my wife noticed it too, the thing is we test drove MDX and RX330 and we both heard it in both vehicles, I research a little and sounds like it is normal sound of the engine it just that its just weird like a roaring sounds. I will search for more and thank you for your reply.
Next time you drive the car, look at the tachometer and see where the engine rpm is in relations to the speedometer. With all the sound insulation in a Lexus, I can't imagine hearing that much noise.
Old 11-05-08, 07:55 PM
sup_lexio
Driver School Candidate

maybe are the tires ((47k = second set of tires)) some people buy expensive cars but they are cheap when it comes to wear and tear... take the brand and model search in tire rack the tire specs and rating..
Old 11-05-08, 10:13 PM
Ruthplex
Driver School Candidate

only when I am driving I could hear the sounds, but when I am stop I don't hear anything
only when I press the gas pedal it would be quiet for about a minute or two and then you can hear the noise again I am sure it is coming from the engine I read about this in other forum site that owners can hear it too that it is coming from under the hood, I will definitely have it check.
Old 11-06-08, 11:10 AM
Ruthplex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sup_lexio
maybe are the tires ((47k = second set of tires)) some people buy expensive cars but they are cheap when it comes to wear and tear... take the brand and model search in tire rack the tire specs and rating..
I checked the tires and they are brand new, They are made by Michellin and I am sure it is brand new it say something about LX4 printed on the side and it was late last night when I check back with this thread so I will check it tonight I think it is just the Tire itself, hopefully though.
Old 06-04-22, 01:32 PM
Debo1
2nd gear

I have a 2004 RX330 with 170,000. The engine has always sounded a little loud when driving. Recently the sound has gotten louder when I get up to about 40mph or higher. It does sound like I am in a motor boat or something. When I look under the hood it sounds a little different than it did. What could this be.
Old 06-04-22, 08:30 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts
Default Check the t/b, its critical to be on top of this

Originally Posted by Debo1
I have a 2004 RX330 with 170,000. The engine has always sounded a little loud when driving. Recently the sound has gotten louder when I get up to about 40mph or higher. It does sound like I am in a motor boat or something. When I look under the hood it sounds a little different than it did. What could this be.
The 1mz/3mz's are fairly quiet running motors vs the 2gr's which have a more mechanical sounding, roller bearing follows, open deck block as well as 3 timing chains vs the 1mz/3mz's which run a t/b to the exhaust cams which the intake cams are driven via helical gears for a smoother, quieter operation as well as using a closed deck block. >>>>>>>>>>I'd check your t/b....When was it last done? Its critical to do as well as the tensioner, pulley's & w/p.......When was the last time you checked the valve clearence? If ever......Great time to do which you change out the valve cover gaskets, plug tube O-rings, I'd also swap out the pcv as well...These are great Toyota motors......
The following users liked this post:
MattRX (06-05-22)