RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

LED Domights: You Got to get it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 06:31 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Domights: You Got to get it!!!

I just installed LED dome light on my 04 and it makes a huge difference. It is not only brighter, but everything inside is also very clear. It took 10 minutes to do and it does not look tacky. Highly recommended; I ll post pics if anyone is interested
Old 11-08-08, 09:29 PM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do post pics for us mechanically challenge folks and where you bought them.
Old 11-09-08, 10:57 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

front dome light
Attached Thumbnails LED Domights: You Got to get it!!!-pb090870.jpg  
Old 11-09-08, 11:27 AM
LEP XEP
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Please post pix of step by step and where to get it.

Thank you very much.
Old 11-09-08, 01:32 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

just get the kits from CL vendor nigel chow. they are plug and play. remove the cover for the lights, then change the bulbs out. easy to do.
Old 11-09-08, 02:17 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

How much is it?
Old 11-09-08, 06:27 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEP XEP
Please post pix of step by step and where to get it.

Thank you very much.
I think 14.95; each. READ THIS: Don't be dumb like me and scratch your overhead plastic. Lexus has made PREMADE HOLES to use to PRY OUT the front without damafgin it. Both left and right are located towards the windshield use a - minus type turning thing too fit in the hole. On the rear dome passenger one it is on the driver side and that dome cover swings down. Once you install both stick the 3m sticky back of LED to the bulb. Which will hold it in place and not leave a weird shadow on the cover. I will post pics with my GF brings her camera again. I only have cell camera.

http://nigel-jdmparts.com/hid.html

they are alot smaller then the image shows, but they are very intense I mean intense. Also the supplied parts fit the RX perfectly no cutting at all and no ballasts or anything like that to worry about. If you can change a flashlight lightbulb, you can do this.

Last edited by triplecore; 11-09-08 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-09-08, 08:00 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. For my center dome light in my GS I think I used the 30 or 36 LED board. Yes, it just fits and it is bright as heck

Anyway, next you have to do all the other lights. I did the lower door lights, and all the front and rear map lights as well. I still have to do the foot well lights but I get to that later.
Old 11-09-08, 08:04 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Looks good. For my center dome light in my GS I think I used the 30 or 36 LED board. Yes, it just fits and it is bright as heck

Anyway, next you have to do all the other lights. I did the lower door lights, and all the front and rear map lights as well. I still have to do the foot well lights but I get to that later.
Thanks Curb lights next!!! I just wish I could have Lexus turn up the intensity on the built in LEDs in the footwells and door handles. They always dim when shift out of park. I wish their was a way to over ride it.
Old 11-13-08, 01:12 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

yeah they are intense i have 5 boards in my is350
Old 11-13-08, 11:04 AM
LEP XEP
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry guys, but I took my rear dome apart last nite and took some pictures. My bulb does not have any connector at all. There is only 1 bulb inserted into a metal socket. I looked at the kit's pix on CL vendor and see different type of bulb. Do I have to modify it to make it fit?

I looked at another kit on L-tuneparts.com and they have that kit seem to be compatible with my bulb.

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciate...
Old 11-13-08, 05:23 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEP XEP
Sorry guys, but I took my rear dome apart last nite and took some pictures. My bulb does not have any connector at all. There is only 1 bulb inserted into a metal socket. I looked at the kit's pix on CL vendor and see different type of bulb. Do I have to modify it to make it fit?

I looked at another kit on L-tuneparts.com and they have that kit seem to be compatible with my bulb.

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciate...
nope the rear bulb is different then the front. If you buy the kit I have both adapters are in their with many more. To get the rear out I used the minus driver and pushed the cliips out of the way. I am not sure if that is the right way though. Front Rear bulbs different but adapter are included.
Old 11-14-08, 05:22 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

LEDs are not the same as filament lightbulbs. Filament bulbs draw current linearly with voltage, in other words if you put 12 volts across the bulb, it draws X amps. Does not matter what temperature, etc, it always works the same.

LEDs are very different, they draw current that is exponentially proportional to voltage. They need an actual circuit, called a current regulator, to take the 12 V and turn it into a constant current draw.

The Lexus has a control circuit for these lights that turns it on and off slowly. That circuit expects to see a resistive filament bulb load, not some sort of LED current regulator.

So the question is this: is the dimmer circuit in the Lexus compatible with the LED current regulator? If it is not, then the dimmer circuit will eventually fail, causing a big expense (non warranty) to fix.
Old 11-14-08, 08:22 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by biff44
LEDs are not the same as filament lightbulbs. Filament bulbs draw current linearly with voltage, in other words if you put 12 volts across the bulb, it draws X amps. Does not matter what temperature, etc, it always works the same.

LEDs are very different, they draw current that is exponentially proportional to voltage. They need an actual circuit, called a current regulator, to take the 12 V and turn it into a constant current draw.

The Lexus has a control circuit for these lights that turns it on and off slowly. That circuit expects to see a resistive filament bulb load, not some sort of LED current regulator.

So the question is this: is the dimmer circuit in the Lexus compatible with the LED current regulator? If it is not, then the dimmer circuit will eventually fail, causing a big expense (non warranty) to fix.
sorry you lost me man. Does it damage the car computer?
Old 11-15-08, 09:50 PM
Ankit69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got a brand new 09... i was hoping to get these leds in there but was hoping for a step-by-step guide on how to change them... i see you mentioned something of a minus screwdriver in there but not sure where in the front dome lights you can insert one.... any images would be greatly apprecaited.... i found out that the front dome lights are 3175 according to sylvania's website and i see that a festoon bulb can be used in there... my question is does anyone know the exact measurement of what size festoon can fit.... bascially which sized adapter did you use??

31mm = 1-1/4"

(i think its most likely 31mm but not sure...just wanted to confirm...)

36mm = 1-3/8"
39mm = 1-1/2"
44mm = 1-3/4"

thanks!

Quick Reply: LED Domights: You Got to get it!!!