RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Test drove 04 RX330 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 08:24 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove 04 RX330 AWD

I just came home from a local dealer after test driving 04 RX330 AWD with 54k miles on it. First of all I've never driven RX330, I drive ES300 and test drove GX470 before but never a RX. But I've noticed unusual noise from engine area, it wasn't a noise from acc. belts. not sure if this is how you describe knocking noise(???) it just didn't sound right to me. They were telling me it's still under warranty(about 6months 16kmiles left) which covers drivetrain. But not sure if it's something that could be repaird. I know I should expect nosier engine than my ES, but I really didn't feel comfortable with the noise, any idea?
Old 11-17-08, 09:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

There should be other RX's on the lot (they may not of the color of your choice etc) but should provide comparison.

If you have reason to be apprehensive, walk away.

Salim
Old 11-18-08, 03:32 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+++++1 on that. If it doesnt sound right, stay away. Fixing a major problem even under warranty is not something you want to deal with right out of the gate. As mentioned, should be easy to drive a couple other RXs to compare. Too many other choices to pick something that might make you
Old 11-18-08, 06:25 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

thanks guys for your words... i will see if me and wife could go to another dealer today and see if we can test drive another one and see... will keep you guys posted..
Old 11-18-08, 08:57 AM
deepakg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hoonami
I just came home from a local dealer after test driving 04 RX330 AWD with 54k miles on it. First of all I've never driven RX330, I drive ES300 and test drove GX470 before but never a RX. But I've noticed unusual noise from engine area, it wasn't a noise from acc. belts. not sure if this is how you describe knocking noise(???) it just didn't sound right to me. They were telling me it's still under warranty(about 6months 16kmiles left) which covers drivetrain. But not sure if it's something that could be repaird. I know I should expect nosier engine than my ES, but I really didn't feel comfortable with the noise, any idea?
I just purchased a 2004 RX 330. I have noticed some sound / noise also. I feel as if a clock is ticking, I can not say if this is normal. Can some one please help?
Old 11-18-08, 09:03 AM
deepakg
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 rx-330

I have recently purchased a pre-owned RX 330 of 2004. I need help on the following:
  1. If it is AWD, how do I tell. Lexus Canada said that it is Stock AWD. Do all SUVs come with AWD?
  2. Which gas am I supposed to be using, I have heard different answers from different people. Even at Lexus Canada I got two different answers from 2 different associates?
  3. Is premium gas mandatory on these?
  4. I hear a little clicking noise as a clock tiking when I am inside the SUV
  5. My Suv some times has a transmission hick-up moving from a slow speed. Is that covered under power train warranty?
  6. Where can I get a current Navigation DVD for this model?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by deepakg; 11-18-08 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 10:06 AM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

Please read the owner's manual. If yours did not come with one, please get it.

What is stated in there is the required minimum, you can always opt for something better. (Gas, oil etc). Word mandatory does not apply. The engine is capable of handling at least a certain minimum grade. Typically Lexus V8 need premium. If you do not use the recommended minimum, the engine would pre-ignite (knocking) and you will loose power (cheaper fuel is wasted).

Typically the hesitation has to do with the decision lag in the transmission to shift (that is why people like manual transmission over automatic). The transmission shift software is generally tweaked for fuel economy. I would say, break down is covered and hesitation (with-in certain range) is not. If yours does predictable hesitation, discuss it with the dealer .. most of the time, it is hard to reproduce.

RX comes in FWD and AWD. You can look underneath to determine if the rear wheels have a power source. You can have the VIN deciphered as well.

Nav updates should match the type of Nav you have. RX (Lexus) has moved to different types of Nav system over time. Your dealer is the best source to provide you with legit and correct type of update. Read the forum, as some non-legit versions have some issues.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-18-08 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 01:21 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 04 CPO though. Are you do you mean it sounds like you popping popcorn? Mine started doing that a few months after I bought it and it has stopped. Is that the sound?

Also I would get the VIN and go to a Lexus dealer and have them look over the service record. Better yet pay maybe $250 and have a Certfied Lexus dealer not some mechanic take a look at it. At least this way you can rest assured that your car does not have an issue. Tell them to hold it to CPO standards and do the same test; keep in mind they can't certify the car though. Since warranty is left then ask the dealer which problems could be fixed under warranty and which cant. Please bring it to a dealer have it checked out it costs a bit, but it could you thousands and any real hasltes.

Good luck, I have not had many problems with my 04. Make sure you listen for dash rattles and that both headlight sprayers work. 1 of mine didn't when I brought it home. Fixed under warranty.

I put generic regular during the last couple of months because of gas prices not problem; I prefer Mobile or Shell premium. I think theirs a difference, but only mentally. I feel the engine starts, runs and idles smoother and quieter while giving more power. I doubt it though as others told me that cant feel a difference and its just my mind justifying premium

Last edited by triplecore; 11-18-08 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 03:19 PM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by deepakg
I have recently purchased a pre-owned RX 330 of 2004. I need help on the following:
  1. If it is AWD, how do I tell. Lexus Canada said that it is Stock AWD. Do all SUVs come with AWD?
  2. Which gas am I supposed to be using, I have heard different answers from different people. Even at Lexus Canada I got two different answers from 2 different associates?
  3. Is premium gas mandatory on these?
  4. I hear a little clicking noise as a clock tiking when I am inside the SUV
  5. My Suv some times has a transmission hick-up moving from a slow speed. Is that covered under power train warranty?
  6. Where can I get a current Navigation DVD for this model?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
All Canadian spec RX330-350s are AWD. American spec has both Front and AWD option. Premium gas is recommanded but not required, but with low prices of gas these days, why wouldn't you use premium?
Old 11-18-08, 05:38 PM
sup_lexio
Driver School Candidate

The ticking noise is normal on that engine... the knocking like its out of time has to do with the type of gas ((higher octane needed to be)) use the better to be and the last engine noise the a/c compressor . tranny whistle when take off and over 65MPH NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT ALL THIS NOISES WE TALK ABOUT ARE NORMAL FOR THIS VEHICLE SLIMSHAH COMMENTS ABOVE ARE TRULY ACCURATE ITS JUST THE NATURE OF THIS VEHICLE AND DESIGN JUST TEST DRIVE ANOTHER ONE YOU WILL NOTICE SAME NOISE IN 2007 AND UP CABIN FIRE WALL AND FRONT GLASS WAS REVISED FOR LESS ENGINE NOISE IN CABIN LEXUS STATES BUT HOW QUIET I DONT KNOW JUST KEEP CHECKING AROUND

Last edited by sup_lexio; 11-18-08 at 06:20 PM. Reason: better explanation less negativity thanks