RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Did we do ok? 2004 RX 330 for $17k

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08 | 09:49 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Default Did we do ok? 2004 RX 330 for $17k

I'm an LS430 guy, but my wife wanted an SUV. We drove a few cars and she kept coming back to the RX 330. We found an AWD 2004 with 64k in miles, with complete service history from Lexus. Got it for $17,000, and it had brand new tires and brakes, but the 60k service had not been done.

Did we do ok? It doesn't have NAV or the rear entertainment system, but does have the heated seats.

What price should I look for with the 60k service?

We will now officially be an "all Lexus" family!
Old 11-24-08 | 10:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Pre-owned Lexus are over price IMO.
Old 11-24-08 | 10:24 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Pre-owned Lexus are over price IMO.
So then what do you think of brand new Lexus prices? LOL
Old 11-24-08 | 10:28 AM
RXSF

damn...my 04 must be worth jack at 90 thousand miles. but it does have nav and rear seat entertainment. lol
Old 11-24-08 | 11:55 AM
ratha67
Rookie

Originally Posted by sparky3
I'm an LS430 guy, but my wife wanted an SUV. We drove a few cars and she kept coming back to the RX 330. We found an AWD 2004 with 64k in miles, with complete service history from Lexus. Got it for $17,000, and it had brand new tires and brakes, but the 60k service had not been done.

Did we do ok? It doesn't have NAV or the rear entertainment system, but does have the heated seats.

That's a pretty good price depending on your local used car market. That's what I paid for the same car with 70k miles in August. Mine has the premium plus package with power lift gate, Navi, and Rear DVD. I got it for $17,500. The way I see it, we saved over 50% by not buying new, and at 60k miles, a lexus is barely broken in. I've taken one lexus 460k miles and another 330k miles, and never had a problem besides regular maintenance items.

At 60k, you probably want to do a transmission fluid flush (~$100), if you haven't already. Besides that, I wouldn't worry about any other tune-up items. A dealership might give you a long laundry list of checks that they will do, but at 60k, absent any symptoms, you should be good. (Of course you should always be consistent with maintaining a clean air filter, fuel filter, and maintaining your fluid levels, but besides that, Lexus's like all toyotas are generally low maintenance cars.) Congrats on the new car.
Old 11-24-08 | 04:02 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

17k is a fine price for yours. just do the tranny flush if havent done so.
Old 11-24-08 | 05:12 PM
sup_lexio
Driver School Candidate

You are the men!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-08 | 08:48 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ratha67
That's a pretty good price depending on your local used car market. That's what I paid for the same car with 70k miles in August. Mine has the premium plus package with power lift gate, Navi, and Rear DVD. I got it for $17,500. The way I see it, we saved over 50% by not buying new, and at 60k miles, a lexus is barely broken in. I've taken one lexus 460k miles and another 330k miles, and never had a problem besides regular maintenance items.

At 60k, you probably want to do a transmission fluid flush (~$100), if you haven't already. Besides that, I wouldn't worry about any other tune-up items. A dealership might give you a long laundry list of checks that they will do, but at 60k, absent any symptoms, you should be good. (Of course you should always be consistent with maintaining a clean air filter, fuel filter, and maintaining your fluid levels, but besides that, Lexus's like all toyotas are generally low maintenance cars.) Congrats on the new car.
I do have the power lift gate, but not the Nav or rear entertainment. I searched the entire US and could barely find one or 2 for less than 20k (they all had 80+k miles). You got a fantastic deal on yours; did you know the seller? Local Lexus dealers wanted about 24k for the base model with about 40k in miles...CPO of course, but CPO ain't worth no 7 grand!
Old 11-25-08 | 06:21 AM
tfischer

As the owner of an '04 RX, I'm sad to say you got a very good price on that car. My suggestion would be to take it to a dealer and spend some of the money you saved and get the 60,000 mile service done by experts who know the cars and will look over everything. Expect to pay a lot - more than $500.00. The upside is that you will know that everything has been inspected, all the fluids replaced correctly, and all rubber hoses inspected for signs of impending doom.
Or you could take your chances on the road.
Old 11-25-08 | 03:22 PM
ratha67
Rookie

I do have the power lift gate, but not the Nav or rear entertainment. I searched the entire US and could barely find one or 2 for less than 20k (they all had 80+k miles). You got a fantastic deal on yours; did you know the seller? Local Lexus dealers wanted about 24k for the base model with about 40k in miles...CPO of course, but CPO ain't worth no 7 grand!
You got a great deal on yours. I didn't know the seller, and he had the car listed for $21,000. I just got lucky to find a seller in a hurry to get rid of it. I took cash over to him and he was willing to give it to me on a cash quick sale for $17,500.

Right now the used car market is pretty soft and inventory is quite high (at least in my locale), but you got a great deal on yours so don't even waste your time looking back.
Old 11-26-08 | 09:08 PM
sup_lexio
Driver School Candidate

You could always get a navi the best part is the back up camera i have also an es350 the navi be getting confuse.. my rx its no navi my garmin way better than the es and portable nice travel assitant... its my opinion.
Old 11-30-08 | 12:15 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

this is complete bs - if you bought a used Lexus doesn't mean you must do your service at Lexus dealer. Congrats on a good deal btw!

You can go to a Toyota dealer, or any reputable mechanic to get the service done. Tranny fluid flush can be done at 100k; at 65k a mere replacement will suffice, unless the prev owner had used it for towing.

Someone mentioned fuel filter- is that servicable/replaceable on RX?
Old 11-30-08 | 07:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kostyan
this is complete bs - if you bought a used Lexus doesn't mean you must do your service at Lexus dealer. Congrats on a good deal btw!

You can go to a Toyota dealer, or any reputable mechanic to get the service done. Tranny fluid flush can be done at 100k; at 65k a mere replacement will suffice, unless the prev owner had used it for towing.

Someone mentioned fuel filter- is that servicable/replaceable on RX?
Fuel filter is serviceable/replaceable (but it's a pain to do). That's really something that doesn't need to be done. Even though I went to Mexico and was going to do this, I found after getting back to the U.S. and using some fuel cleaners and good American gas that any issue was gone after a short bit.
Old 12-02-08 | 06:32 PM
mikebeau
Driver School Candidate

i say good deal.

last year we bought an 04 with around 50k(i think) for 23k.

has Nav, weather mats, almost perfect inside and out.

the closest at the time in price i found was all ****ted up. Most of the ones i saw of the same quality were 26-27 private and 29 CPO.

also, since then we've put brakes and tires on it.

if it is in good shape with the leather and all that is good.
Old 12-03-08 | 06:49 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I would have had them include the 60k service as part of the deal.

Quick Reply: Did we do ok? 2004 RX 330 for $17k