RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Disappointing Leather Seat Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 10:18 PM
pamada4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointing Leather Seat Replacement

My 2005 RX330 front passenger seat was replaced by Lexus because of a minor mechanical diagnosis. Unfortunately, the new replacement seat leather inexplicably contains an inordinate amount of puckers, creases, indentations and wrinkles that were not at all present in the near mint original seat.

I feel that the new replacement seat looks so poor in comparison to the rest of the interior that it detracts from the vehicles appearance.

The Lexus service director and quality control inspector both agreed that the seat does contain excessive wrinkles, but explained that they are inherent characteristics of leather that would eventually smooth out with normal wear. However, I have never experienced a badly wrinkled leather seat that somehow becomes less wrinkled over time.

Lexus would not order a replacement seat, offer to make repairs or provide any other alternatives, and other local Lexus dealers insisted that I resolve the issue with the dealer who performed the work.

I never expected the new replacement seat to look any better than the original, but I certainly did not expect it to look worse.

Can anyone provide any suggestions or recommend what options may be available to help resolve this situation. Thanks.
Old 11-24-08, 10:23 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well since they're so bent on believing that the creases will disappear over time.. how about you ask them to replace the seat for you after a month or so if the wrinkles are still present?
that's all i can think of :P.. good luck
Old 11-24-08, 11:45 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

was it a used seat? like one off salvage?
Old 11-25-08, 03:57 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

there is a now famous study done by car makers. They used to base their marketing decisions on surveys they did on their own employees--the employees would drive their company cars for 9 months and then turn them in for suckers like us to purchase at like-new prices. The "reutrn" for the car companies was that the empolyees would rake all aspects of the new cars. One area they always dinged was the leather seating--any slight imperfection was panned. So for many years, the makers purchased only top grade leathers with no imperfections, thinking that this was what the consumer utimately wanted.

Later, a marketing study was redone, but this time with the actual end use consumers. The exact opposite conclusion was made--the consumers saw the small defects as expected in actual leather, and proof that it was actual leather. They equated leather with no visible imperfections as similar to vinal seats! Since that date, you can kiss off leather without imperfections. The car markers no longer go the extra distance to buy the top grade.

You don't work for an auto company, do you?