RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hooking up a Subwoofer, Need amp wiring diagram for RX400h/RX330/RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-16, 11:54 AM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LYVEWIRE
I was looking to have a sub and amp added via Best Buy. Prior to getting this 2005 RX 330 I had a 2010 Avalon and the sub and amp was ran separate from the factory amp and 12 speaker JBL speaker system I believe. It sounded good so I'm hoping to get back to the premium sound i had. Just had a few questions:

- Based on what I read is it best to use factory amp and not my own?

- does anyone have pictures of where they placed their sub speaker and amp if they used their own. (someone told me using the storage compartment was a bad idea since the amp needs to cool). I wanted to avoid having it drilled in the back of the rear seats or floor of the trunk in case I need to let seats down for picking up furniture on the fly and need to remove the amp and sub box)

- I do not have the Mark Levinson sound system. Any simple instructions I should advise Best Buy? (I doubt he'd read all of this although I did find it helpful).

-I'm also looking to have him add a cutoff switch when I want to cut of sub on the fly. Any issues doing with this?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Did you go through with this yet?
Old 04-12-16, 07:21 AM
Ismaili
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you pass the wire from the battery under the hood to vehicle cabin bro?

How did you pass the wire from the battery under the hood to vehicle cabin bro?

Originally Posted by lophatrx
okay, i just completed a simple hookup of a second amp and small subwoofer. The factory amp is located behind rear seat, and no need to remove the seat, just push all the way forward. Pull up the clips, but do it carefully unless you are going to replace the interior clips. Finally the wires for the speaker are on the large connector. The four wires that i used are, red/yellow for (+) right rear, blue is (-) right rear, red (+) left rear and gray for (-) left rear. I installed a simple loc(line output converter) to have rca hookups. I have heard other people do the same thing. One problem you will find is there is no power on wire for the factory amp, it actually senses the power from the speakers. So i ran a wire to the front cigarette socket under the gear shift panel.
The last thing will be careful i am not sure if my amp is just underpowered but the sound output from this connection seems low, even with my amp and loc levels all the way up. But i really didn't want some deep overpowering bass since i don't drive it all the time. If you want more info got to www.the12volt.com they have wiring listings there.
Old 04-12-16, 07:29 AM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ismaili
How did you pass the wire from the battery under the hood to vehicle cabin bro?
There is a hole with a grommet on the lower left side as you're facing the engine. It's near the passenger footwell. I needed a flashlight, a tool extractor and wire fishing tool to get it through there.

Also, you don't need to run a power on wire from the front to an amp in the back.There IS an ACC switched turn on wire in one of the wiring harnesses attached to the stock amp. It's one of the purple ones in the left harness, if you're facing the amp from the back seat, looking towards the rear of the car. I only had two harnesses going into my amp.
Old 04-12-16, 07:31 AM
Ismaili
Driver School Candidate

Can someone advise me HOW TO INSTALL POWER WIRE FROM MAIN BATTERY UNDER THE HOOD TO BACK OF THE SUV please?

Is there any hole between the car interior and bonnet where I can pass the wire from please?

Lexus RX 400H 2006

Originally Posted by NeoNz
Hey guys, im looking to rewire my system to get nice deep clean bass!!! I currently have it wired through the door speakers but im looking to tap directly into the wires running from the head unit, before the amp. The amp tends to filter out the lows and makes the bass sound like crap!! Can anyone point me in the direction of where the factory amp is and which wires coming from the head unit I should tap into?

Thanks

-Brett
Old 04-13-16, 07:17 AM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ismaili
Can someone advise me HOW TO INSTALL POWER WIRE FROM MAIN BATTERY UNDER THE HOOD TO BACK OF THE SUV please?

Is there any hole between the car interior and bonnet where I can pass the wire from please?

Lexus RX 400H 2006
See my previous post. On the RX330, there is a hole you can use above and slightly to the left of the passenger footwell. Take the trim off (20 second job) down there and you should be able to spot the wires coming though. You may need to poke a bigger hole through the rubber grommet.
Old 06-15-18, 08:02 AM
Williamr
Driver School Candidate

Look under the jack behind back seat
Old 07-03-18, 03:25 PM
rexsio
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the same problem of an underpowered amp, did you tap into the wires before the amp filtered them out? can you take a pic of the amp where it is? what are these interior clips?
The Factory 6x9's in the lower front doors of the RX 330 are 2ohm. if your regular plain Jane car amplifier is not rated for 2ohm at each speaker then you will get diminished performance.

there are a couple of old posts on this forum about the RX factory speakers, you might find something if you search under Beat Sonic and or RX speakers. because of the 2 Ohm rating i stuck with the factory amp and just added a sub and it's mostly fine. although the tweeters are kinda week. I read somewhere that Toyota really took a cheap route on the Factory speakers in the 2nd Gen versus the first, like same sound system as in a Camry or Sienna
Old 01-10-23, 01:04 PM
Reynold
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Direct bypass

id def install a secondary amp, is it posible? someone said the stock headunit is tri-amped? is this true?

take a look at this

Originally Posted by scubadoo
nightmare.. Tweeter totaly screwed my 400h. the factory stereo causes BIG problems for aftermarket amps.. the factory head unit is tri amped. internaly.. so the only way to tap into it for the aftermarket amp is to take the 3 speaker level outs... tweet mid and bass and use a SUMMING device... sucks...

then on top of that my installer told me that the factory head is turning down the bass and teble at high levels to protect the factory speakers from blowing.. well they are long gone but there is no way to tell the factory head unit to just put out a full signal...

my lexus is so messed up now.. i want to go trade it in.... Tweeter has filed bankrupcy so i am screwed..

dont mess with the factory stereo... i am pretty sure you will regret it I do..

anyone want a 400h cheap?
08 rx 400h
so the OEM head unit(pioneer) was quitting so I had it replaced with a Sony and a direct bypass skipping the ML amp that had quit, directly to the speakers. Minimum bass but sounds all the way around. Without removing or unplugging from the oem ampl. Had it done at a shop tho. I’ll install a separate amp later.