RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Don't drive a new Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 08:32 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

cool. BUT...

I hate all those whiners who 'need' to have a 3251235132" NAV display for a region they have been living in for most of their lives, a premium sound system out of the factory, even though the cheapest aftermarket stuff will sound much better, etc. etc...

As you can see, what im getting at, is that there is no need to get horny about all these trinkets, sure the new Highlander may present a better value, go nuts!

However, i personally do not like more complicated stuff. I am not a simple person, but one who does not need all this junk [just like 95% of those on the roads currently!] seriously, who needs a premium sound system to drive to work for 10 min. ?? I mean come on...

One thing to bear in mind, which was posted a few posts above, is the idea of a 'first year model' the problem is that alone, as well as, how RELIABLE is all this junk in these cars nowadays? The more electronic ***** they stuff in, the more potential problems in the future...
Old 12-24-08, 04:07 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

I have found all this junk on the Lexus vehicles works quite well. If it did not Lexus will fix it under warranty. The Telematics of a vehicle are one of the joys of ownership for me. If you are "one who does not need all this junk" there are other brands that do not have it.
Old 12-24-08, 04:27 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
cool. BUT...

I hate all those whiners who 'need' to have a 3251235132" NAV display for a region they have been living in for most of their lives, a premium sound system out of the factory, even though the cheapest aftermarket stuff will sound much better, etc. etc...

As you can see, what im getting at, is that there is no need to get horny about all these trinkets, sure the new Highlander may present a better value, go nuts!

However, i personally do not like more complicated stuff. I am not a simple person, but one who does not need all this junk [just like 95% of those on the roads currently!] seriously, who needs a premium sound system to drive to work for 10 min. ?? I mean come on...

One thing to bear in mind, which was posted a few posts above, is the idea of a 'first year model' the problem is that alone, as well as, how RELIABLE is all this junk in these cars nowadays? The more electronic ***** they stuff in, the more potential problems in the future...
You are talking to two different crowds here. The first crowd is just leasing the car for 2 years, and even the most poorly made garbage can last that long. The other crowd will want the RX to last 6-10 years, and all those little electronic goodies and nav systems will either be obsolete or dead by then--so they do not value the goodies as much at all! BTW, I am with the 2nd group!
Old 12-24-08, 06:30 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To those that can't see value in a Lexus, then why do you see value in a Toyota versus a Hyundai? I've driven the Sonata and Veracruz alot, and test drove the Genesis a few times and the Hyundais are very very good automobiles now. I think in terms of fit-n-finish interior, they're the same, if not better, than some base Toyotas. So, if you can't see the extra money going into a Lexus, then can you see the extra saving if you went down to a Hyundai?
Old 12-24-08, 09:01 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
To those that can't see value in a Lexus, then why do you see value in a Toyota versus a Hyundai? I've driven the Sonata and Veracruz alot, and test drove the Genesis a few times and the Hyundais are very very good automobiles now. I think in terms of fit-n-finish interior, they're the same, if not better, than some base Toyotas. So, if you can't see the extra money going into a Lexus, then can you see the extra saving if you went down to a Hyundai?
it doesn't matter how good a Hyundai is its for the Poor its the Walmart of cars because of the stigma. A Toyota is the norm like Sears and Lexus is upscale/norm like Macys. Mercedes is upscale/luxury - Saks or Lord and Taylor and Bentley and Rolls are Luxury - Bergdorf Goodman.

Hyundia - welfare/foodstamps/ normal
Toyota - norm
Lexus - upscale/normal (Move the brand up scale)
Mercedes - Upscale/Luxury (Mercedes should kill the C class its diluting their brand drivin by gangbangers and the wannabe rich.)

Sorry for all the retail comparisons its Christmas what can i say.
Old 12-25-08, 09:02 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Where would Cadilac, BMW, Porshe, Ford and Chevy be ?
Old 12-25-08, 10:33 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Toyota - norm
Mercedes - Upscale/Luxury (Mercedes should kill the C class its diluting their brand drivin by gangbangers and the wannabe rich.)

Sorry for all the retail comparisons its Christmas what can i say.[/QUOTE]

One time I bumped into market research by well-known company about customers’ perception of different automotive brands. Not surprisingly, some brands had customers’ perception different from the one they’ve planned to seed.
Here is short list (not exact, but close to original):
Mercedes – prestige
BMW – performance
Lexus – luxury
Jaguar - style
Toyota – reliability, dull
Honda – reliability, sporty
Acura – better performance, quality
Hyundai – frugal, underdog
GM – strength

Interestingly that customers of luxury brands typically did not/do not care about reliability, as much as we think they would.
Old 12-25-08, 11:19 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lexus as macys? really? lol

if anything:

mercedes/bmw/lexus/jaguar= Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales,Barneys
Old 12-26-08, 09:05 AM
sama
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
it doesn't matter how good a Hyundai is its for the Poor its the Walmart of cars because of the stigma. A Toyota is the norm like Sears and Lexus is upscale/norm like Macys. Mercedes is upscale/luxury - Saks or Lord and Taylor and Bentley and Rolls are Luxury - Bergdorf Goodman.

Toyota - norm

Sorry for all the retail comparisons its Christmas what can i say.
Lexus - RX/IS/ES --> wannabe upscale and the wannabe rich
Old 12-26-08, 11:37 AM
asianrage
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sama
Lexus - RX/IS/ES --> wannabe upscale and the wannabe rich
Bull*****! You can say that about any similarly priced entry level models of any other specific Luxo-brands. I guess for you, being able to afford a low 40K, sub 50k car (RX350) means that I'm a low class **** wanna be rich...
GTFO!
Old 12-26-08, 11:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

We're going way off topic here