RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Don't drive a new Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 04:51 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't drive a new Highlander

I made the mistake of driving one today and it is a superior vehicle to the current gen RX in many ways for a lot less money - I am sure the 2010 RX will get all the updates, but I dont understand why Toyota updates the Toyota line before the Lexus line - usually that stuff is trickle down, but the Highlander got all the better stuff 2 years before the 2010 RX - better bigger Nav, a 2nd color screen for additional info, 3rd Row, Rear Air and Heat with controls, one touch ignition and JBL audio (unavailable as an option to northeast Lexus buyers, as is air ride and panoramic sun roof).

Now the Venza is out and it is almost and RX350 also, Toyota is making it hard to justify the premium the RX demands when their own vehicles are so close if not better for less money!

If your considering an RX, especially before the new one arrives, drive a Venza and a Highlander and try to find what's worth the extra money on an RX!
Old 12-10-08, 04:58 PM
JS5Owner
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

However, Lexus is DEEPLY discounting the 09 RX. I picked up a Pebble Beach for $39k!
Old 12-10-08, 05:49 PM
liquidsilver
Driver

Interior wise yes....its very nice as far as its technology and its design. Exterior wise......Its one of the ugliest SUVs on the market . Its just too ugly and I actually prefer the last gen highlander (which may look boring but not ugly)
Old 12-10-08, 06:46 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

A lot of vehicles have been superior to the RX for some time now.
Old 12-10-08, 08:57 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidsilver
Interior wise yes....its very nice as far as its technology and its design. Exterior wise......Its one of the ugliest SUVs on the market . Its just too ugly and I actually prefer the last gen highlander (which may look boring but not ugly)
Exactly how my wife felt - she had a '01 Highlander and could not even test drive the new model... I was ok with the new design and liked the Venza as well... but she did not want to take a risk on a 1st year model. I personally had issues with the paint (bad orange peel) and the leather (looked and felt like cheap vinyl) when we looked at the Venza. The leather is likely an issue with Gulf States Toyota... but the paint quality was just awful.

The RX gave her the familiarity she seeked and an upgraded interior. She's not as into the electronics/gadgets as I am, so the current interior in the RX was 'good enough' for her... but yeah, I could have used a bigger touch screen and push button start.
Old 12-13-08, 04:39 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Originally Posted by liquidsilver
I would have to disagree -the old design was by far worse, basically a box on wheels - could have a Volvo logo and fit right in, interior felt cheap and was basically a low end ugly RX, but the new one is far better and looks to still rival the 2010 RX.

I really wish Lexus would at least do mid cycle updates to keep up instead of being 5 years out of date like it is now, how hard would it be to add push button start and the better NAV mid cycle? And Lexus should get the stuff first before it trickles down to the cheaper models like the Highlander to justify the cost by getting the new tech sooner in my book!
Old 12-13-08, 04:48 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

I also would disagree. Before I bought my RX I drove the Highlander which is a nice vehicle but as for as driving better no way. My wife talked me into driving the Lexus and I was sold. The Lexus just feel a lot more solid and has a much nicer interior and exterior. I was not interested in 3'rd row seating so it was a no brainer for me to go with the Lexus.
Old 12-13-08, 05:14 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In some ways I like the fact that the highlander preceeds the RX because they can work more of the bugs out for the Lexus owners!
Old 12-15-08, 11:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new gen Highlander drives like a 1970 Buick, it drives so bad that it even makes the RX seem like a nice handling car. When you max out the option in the new Highlander, you will be very close to the discount price of the 2009 RX. There is no question I would rather have a RX, even without all the toys.
Old 12-15-08, 01:15 PM
asianrage
Driver

This is a stupid thread. The current gen RX350 is based on the technologies of 2003. And you're comparing it with a new product of 2008. Of course it'll be better. What's so hard to understand? Comparing one new generation of a model over an old generation of a different model, and saying that it's much better, is redundant and unproductive. Since the RX is based mostly on whatever Highlander platform available at the moment, then it makes perfect sense that Toyota would update the Highlander first before debuting the new gen RX.
You want them to update the car during the MMC and whatnot? Sure, it's possible, but then how could they make a clear and distinct differentiation between one generation vs the next? This has never been the norm for Toyota or the other Japanese brands. Price and design won't cut it. Overall technology overhaul has to be apparent to new buyers.

I would still consider the current gen RX because my wife like/loves it more than any of Toyota's offerings.
Old 12-22-08, 05:34 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rklages
... I am sure the 2010 RX will get all the updates, but I dont understand why Toyota updates the Toyota line before the Lexus line...
The answer of this comment is that last generation Highlander had been out for 7 years since late 2000. It was due for an update.
Old 12-22-08, 08:23 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overall with my feeling is that Toyota had moved their cars to far upscale features and appointment wise. Without moving Lexus further upscale theirfore Lexus to me now really does seem like a over priced Toyota. Take a look at the Toyota Varacruz Limited, Camry Limited and Sequai Limited. I know that the leather might not be as soft and wood not real, but at the end of the day both Lexus and Toyota offer the same things minus a $10,000 dollar difference. To me the Toyota would be worth it, and Lexus should realize that a. they need to move their brand further upscale and a price increase instead of making bargain baskets compared to Merecedes. and distinguish their vehicles from Toyota. If you ask someone randomly which car has more prestige Mercedes C class or Lexus GS they probably would choose the Mercedes even though the C does not even have power seats and is entry level.
Old 12-22-08, 09:58 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

well the RX was supposed to come out new as a 2009 model but it was delayed a year for some unknown reason.

with that said, features wise, yes it is similar. but dont forget prestige is added into the equation for the final price.

also these additional features:
1) better wood and leather
2) optional dvd in the headrests
3) head up display
4) LED headlights for the hybrid
5) remote touch
Old 12-22-08, 10:58 PM
Cristian R
Driver School Candidate

Smile thank you for this information

it would be definitely invaluable for user of that.
Old 12-23-08, 10:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Besides the pastries and designer coffee at the dealer, I cant tell the difference between the top of the line Toyota and a base Lexus

Quick Reply: Don't drive a new Highlander