RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brake Pads & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 01:10 PM
leo.cheng
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads & Rotors

hey guys! i am planning to get a RX right after I come out of college and now i'm just doing some research about this car. I was jsut wondering what type and brand of brake pads and rotor you guys use for your RXs. do you guys go for OEM brakes or other aftermarket ones. if so which ones? thanks.

also would you recommend putting brembo calipers and all that good stuff in an RX. thanks for all your advice and info. drive safe guys!
Old 12-21-08, 03:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

That's going to depend on what generation RX you get.

For my RX300, it's Akebono Pro Act pads. Right now I have the OEM rotors, but if I were going to get something they would be the Rotora slotted rotors.
Old 12-21-08, 04:19 PM
leo.cheng
Rookie

well let's just say for this instance that it's going to be a 2005-2008 RX350 AWD. which brand brakes do you guys find the best stopping power and does a good caliper help too? thanks guys!
Old 12-21-08, 05:20 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM is the best for the RX. I bought some aftermarket pads (Pro-Stops from PepBoys)on the rear cause dealer were closed for the weekend. No noticeabole difference.
Old 12-21-08, 06:29 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

I've used the Akebono ProACT ceramic rotors on both our BMW Z3 (3.0i Roadster) and our old RX300. In terms of street performance and feel, they are indistinguishable from the OEM pads. This is saying a lot because my Z3 has outstanding brakes. The one significant difference is the almost total lack of dust.

For years I have used Brembo replacement rotors. They are relatively inexpensive and they do not seem to warp like the front disks did on our old Rx300 and some other vehicles I had. About two years ago I replaced the factory rotors on my Z3 at the second front pad change with Brembo replacement rotors and have been pleased with them. Again, they are indistinguishable from the original OEM rotors. We bought a new RX350 last week, but had we kept the RX300, I would have also replaced both front and rear with these rotors.

I buy these parts from the Tire Rack and recommend them also.
Old 12-21-08, 06:36 PM
leo.cheng
Rookie

Originally Posted by RhoXS
I've used the Akebono ProACT ceramic rotors on both our BMW Z3 (3.0i Roadster) and our old RX300. In terms of street performance and feel, they are indistinguishable from the OEM pads. This is saying a lot because my Z3 has outstanding brakes. The one significant difference is the almost total lack of dust.

For years I have used Brembo replacement rotors. They are relatively inexpensive and they do not seem to warp like the front disks did on our old Rx300 and some other vehicles I had. About two years ago I replaced the factory rotors on my Z3 at the second front pad change with Brembo replacement rotors and have been pleased with them. Again, they are indistinguishable from the original OEM rotors. We bought a new RX350 last week, but had we kept the RX300, I would have also replaced both front and rear with these rotors.

I buy these parts from the Tire Rack and recommend them also.
would you again replace your NEW RX350 rotors with brembo and when your OE brake pads wear out would you replace it with the the Akebono ProACT pads?
thanks!
Old 12-21-08, 06:56 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

Originally Posted by leo.cheng
would you again replace your NEW RX350 rotors with brembo and when your OE brake pads wear out would you replace it with the the Akebono ProACT pads?
thanks!
Yes, I would see no reason to use anything else.

I perceive the Akebono and Brembo products are at least equal if not superior to the OEM parts in both quality and price. This certainly appears true for my Z3. I usually strongly prefer OEM parts but when it comes to brakes, over the years I have done better with after market products.

I suspect that it will be a long time before I need to replace any brakes on our new RX350. Assuming the Akebono pads and Brembo replacement rotors are still available when the need does arise, they will be the parts of choice.

Fifteen years ago I had a new 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC. The front rotors warped almost immediately even though the brakes were never abused and the car was only used for reasonable street driving. They were replaced once under warranty. The second time they warped I used Brembo drilled rotors and never had another problem.