RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Newbie has '05 RX330 with multiple problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 01:45 PM
lxus4xms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 05 last month, almost bought an import but changed my mind. I do know that your car is under warrantee if it is under 80K or 50,000 miles bumper to bumper. The six year 80K will apply anywhere in North America.
Old 01-19-09, 01:48 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Occam
Took a while - my wife was too scared to drive in our recent bad weather - but the dealer is saying the car is off warranty.

So the repair estimates are:

1. Over $1000 to repair the AFS system. Unfortunately, I don't know the details yet, as my wife doesn't understand any of the tech gobbledygook. My bet is that a leveling sensor has gotten shot.

2. $700 to repair the CD changer. Needs to be sent to a Pioneer repair shop out in eastern Canada. I have no idea how long this is supposed to take, but it can't be good.

This is insane. $2000 in repairs right after the car goes off warranty?

Is it possible to diagnose the AFS system myself, with a code reader or something?
I'm curious, is it off warranty because of mileage or because it was imported from the US?

I would push them a little on the CD player. They know that there are problems with it and should be a little more open.

Which dealer are you working with? Is it Calgary or Edmonton? I've dealt with both and would like to know your opinions on service thus far. We're car shopping at the moment and haven't decided which dealer to work with if we stay with Lexus. Thanks.
Old 01-19-09, 03:14 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

We bought our 2004 from a local used car dealer in 2007, and the CD Error 4 occured the same afternoon! The dealer paid to have the head unit repaired but it took them a couple of weeks to ship it out and get it back. After that, we were afraid to use CD copies in the changer, which meant that my wife had all my original CD's in her car...not good;-) We got the error one more time, but luckily it "came back" and we were able to eject the CD's.

I installed a Vais SL2i last year, so now my original CD's stay safely at home and my wife uses her iPod instead of the CD changer. No more worries!
Old 01-20-09, 09:02 AM
Occam
Driver School Candidate

So far, everything has been done through Lexus of Calgary. We did not buy the RX there, but I don't think that matters. The labor rate cited on their invoices is $125 an hour.

I haven't been at the dealership myself, so I don't know where this is all coming from. I am not sure of the warranty terms. If it's SIX years, then I don't see why it would be off warranty, assuming the warranty is still valid once it crosses the border. It should be - all the information I have (online and off) indicates that it is.

I can tell you that I've called LoC service three times, and they never answer their service phone. I also have not gotten a reply back from my latest inquiry for more details on the AFS system.

FWIW, I paid $62.50 to get a diagnostic done on the AFS system. Here's the summary:

"Codes B2410 Headlight swivel ECU LH communication malfunctio (sic) and B2417 headlight beam level control motor LH. Recommend to order the parts for correction. Need to replace left head light assembly Est $1460 + GST Parts would need to be ordered upon customer approval"

This is fairly informative but leads to new questions. It's the left headlight. They obviously can't repair it, hence the massive replacement cost. To get the codes, they obvious have some kind of diagnostic tool, but what is that?

At first glance, it sounds like the embedded motor controller in the headlight has given up. Sounds like exactly the same problem that other people are having. Those problems have been blamed on condensation or whatever, but it seems like the embedded controller might not be as durable as it should be. It must be on some kind of digital communication bus, likely CAN or LIN, and talking to a bigger unit that is handling AFS (and probably a lot of other things besides).

Also, the motor is not busted - the headlight cycles just fine on power up. This implies the embedded controller IS working - otherwise what's moving the motor? So it seems like both error codes are being cased by lack of communication. To my mind this means wiring more than anything else.

My wife checked at an independent shop. Even a used headlight is pushing $900. The used market knows what new ones are worth and price accordingly.

This sucks. $2500 for stuff that we can hardly tell is broken. Nice.

Last edited by Occam; 01-20-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-20-09, 10:15 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is the headlight:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318

Or here is a pair of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 01-21-09, 07:46 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Am happy that I do not have to worry about the AFS...I have the stock halogens...
Old 01-21-09, 08:47 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't care much for the AFS part, but the xenon lights well worth the price.
Old 01-21-09, 11:05 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Put a call into Lexus customer care and Voice your dissapointment of these major repairs ust after warrenty and dont give in--keep after them and bump up the chain to the head guy if you have to and dont let them off the phone! They will more than likely help you out.
Old 01-23-09, 12:32 PM
Occam
Driver School Candidate

The general level of confidence in Lexus and their dealership network on this forum is so touching... I think I'm gonna cry... need a hug... <sniff>

Seriously now - there are a lot of these cars going off warranty sometime soon. Sooner or later we're going to have to start thinking harder about DIY.

Turns out the warranty is four years, not six. If these guys were going to help, they would have done it already. They never even returned my message regarding clarification of the AFS problem and key cutting services.

It's bad enough I will need to get them to program the replacement keys I'm going to buy. (Apparently it's impossible to do without a scan tool or something. I wonder how much they're going to charge for that little service, and why the hell Lexus didn't make it a DIY process?)

I'd love to get my hands on a damaged AFS headlight, to see if I could engineer a replacement motor controller.

Does nobody know what kind of communication system is used in the car? Might be a good opportunity to hit up the local Agilent rep and borrow their cool new protocol-analyzer oscilloscope... if it wasn't -21*C outside!!
Old 03-18-09, 11:21 PM
BokCh0y
Driver School Candidate

Same Error 4 CD code with 04 RX330. No solution, no fix except to pay Lexus of Calgary $700. Similar issue with my 01 IS300, but it wasn't that extreme. I was able to play most CD's unless they're the burnt/copied ones. I never found a feasible soultion for my RX and the Error 4 issue...jsut listen to the radio now haha.

Warranty is 4 years or 80000km.

i've dealt with Lexus of calgary for years now...started dealing with them when they were Stampede Lexus Toyota. No complaints to be honest...they've always taken care of me. Service however does not answer the service phone anymore....easier just to drop in to be honest. Parts is great. Lance and Adrian - good peoples.

The only suggestion i have for you is to bring your RX to a Toyota dealership. Labor is cheaper....so you'll at least save something there. But hanggling with Lexus Customer Support....yeah don't waste your time. I've had Lexus after Lexus and the support usually doesn't do anything for me. Once the car is out of warranty, it's basically SOL for the owner.

makes me want to go back to BMW....

Good luck with your issues and i hope you get them resolved soon.
Old 01-23-10, 03:47 PM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

question re: warranties. Once your car is over bumoer to bumper coverage, is it possible to purchase an extended wtty? Our 05 RX is at 60k mi, we got is used with 42k mi, and I already regret not taking the extended wtty
Old 01-23-10, 07:36 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostyan
question re: warranties. Once your car is over bumoer to bumper coverage, is it possible to purchase an extended wtty? Our 05 RX is at 60k mi, we got is used with 42k mi, and I already regret not taking the extended wtty
I was told that one could purchase an extended warranty anytime to the end of the original warranty. I doubt that you can get a lexus warranty after that, but give a call, or drop an e-mail, to 'tobytoyota' (I believe that is his name) - see post below -
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...=0#entry371423
I had asked a question, and he responded quickly and his prices seemed very good.
Good luck!
Old 06-24-11, 10:31 PM
Floydus
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Transmission RX 330

I have seen several complaints on the RX 300 in regards of transmission failures, but none listed with the 330 RX. But just the same, ours is failing at 84000 miles. We have purchased an extended warranty, and are invited by the dealer to take the car there for repairs. Im not sure what our deductible will be. The purpose for this message is to record another RX transmission failure. This is just too bad, because these lexus are nice in general and ride nice too.