RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

AWD tranny vs. FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 01:53 AM
pcarnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD tranny vs. FWD?

Hi guys, first post here.

I'm seriously thinking about an 04 or 05 RX but after an hours worth of searching transmission threads I'm not finding what I'm looking for so here goes: Are the transmission issues I've been reading about more prevalent with the AWD version vs. the FWD?

I looked in to getting an RX300 a couple of years ago and was told by a mechanic to stay away from the AWD version. He said the FWD was more reliable. So, I'm wondering, are the poor shifting issues I'm reading about on this forum more prevalent on the AWD or FWD? Apparently getting the ECU re-flashed just makes it worse. I'm kinda getting concerned if I should stay away from the RX. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by pcarnut; 01-05-09 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 04:45 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Welcome.

Well first off since you live CA do you need AWD? If you do not then don't get it as AWD will always have a higher probability of more problems as it has more components compared to the FWD version. Also FWD gets better gas MPG by 1 MPG, not much but its better.

According to consumer reports 99, 00 got poor and 00 got average for major transmission problems. All 04- 08 got excellent for major transmission issues. I think the problem isn't with the physical reliability of the transmission, but rather owners don't like the transmission. As on the forum some feel it lags or spools while others feels at low speed its to jerky.

Good luck just have the car checked by a mechanic, and preferably get a Lexus CPO its worth the price and the peace of mind.
Old 01-05-09, 09:07 AM
pcarnut
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, thanks for the welcome. Agreed, don't really need the AWD and its complexity and weight although I'm just over an hour from Tahoe so I could see it being handy occasionally.

I'm kind of **** about machinery working right so this might be an issue for me too. Guess I need to drive a couple of them and see what they're like. Is this characteristic something all of them have, or does it develop as the miles add up and get worse with time?
Old 01-05-09, 09:15 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

We had a 04 RX AWD & no tranny problems at all. I changed the fluid at about 40K & had 100% synthetic put in. It was flushed out & aprox. 12 qts. of new fluid was put in.
Our new 09 RX is AWD too & gets through the snow with ease.
Old 01-05-09, 10:08 AM
pcarnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xfirechief
We had a 04 RX AWD & no tranny problems at all. I changed the fluid at about 40K & had 100% synthetic put in. It was flushed out & aprox. 12 qts. of new fluid was put in.
Our new 09 RX is AWD too & gets through the snow with ease.
Good to hear, thanks!
Old 01-05-09, 10:16 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

I have had 4 WD vehicles since 1980 and there are pros and cons.
Cons they are more expensive than their 2 WD counter parts, they weigh more due to extra running gear, thus gas mileage is not as good, they have more maintenance due to the extra differential and hubs.
Pros you will get your money back on the extra cost when you sale it or trade it in, if you occasionally need it, then you have it and the gas mileage as all ready mentioned is only 1 gallon a mile less than the 2 WD version.

I have a 08 AWD RX350 and have only needed AWD a few times but it's worth it to me. Most folks that have AWD or 4 WD vehicles never get their tires off the pavement. I need AWD for hunting, fishing, occasional snow and for light off road duty. I don't run power lines or off roading like I used to so I enjoy the luxury of the RX and it's car like ride. I drive to where I need to go in comfort.
Old 01-05-09, 08:10 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're in SoCal, ditch the AWD. If you're in NoCal then you might want to consider it given the more chance of rain and some snow. Resale is better with AWD as it is suppose to be a SUV and "off-road" type of vehicle.

As for tranny issues, those were with 1stGen and failure. 2ndGen was more with sluggish acceleration and some creeping issues. Nothing to do with failure of the transmission. Knock on wood, I have a '99 RX going on 113k and no issues yet. Tranny runs fine.
Old 01-06-09, 06:57 AM
pcarnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
If you're in SoCal, ditch the AWD. If you're in NoCal then you might want to consider it given the more chance of rain and some snow. Resale is better with AWD as it is suppose to be a SUV and "off-road" type of vehicle.

As for tranny issues, those were with 1stGen and failure. 2ndGen was more with sluggish acceleration and some creeping issues. Nothing to do with failure of the transmission. Knock on wood, I have a '99 RX going on 113k and no issues yet. Tranny runs fine.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Have a GTI right now and it is fun and economical just rides a lot firmer than I want. Have always liked the RX concept but seems like every car has its issues and maybe appears overstated when you go to forums. Just don't want to end up with a transmission that spoils the experience. Tried a Murano for about a year and found the CVT "shifted" up early all the time making the car feel sluggish. I didn't like always having to be kicking it down to accelerate in traffic.
Old 01-07-09, 04:35 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

AWD here and no problems... i'm just a bit leery about driving a FWD SUV.
Old 01-07-09, 05:44 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Man, if you do not want the AWD, maybe you do not want a RX350! That is its main feature--pretty much go thru anything traction. Even in So Cal, what if you are on a beach or in the dunes or on a mountain trail? You are limiting yourself to paved roads ONLY.
Old 01-08-09, 11:02 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

6" more snow expected Friday & Sat. I'm not worrying about it though with our RX AWD. Goes right though it as I said earlier, its the only way to go in snow country for sure.
Old 01-08-09, 01:17 PM
pcarnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by biff44
Man, if you do not want the AWD, maybe you do not want a RX350! That is its main feature--pretty much go thru anything traction. Even in So Cal, what if you are on a beach or in the dunes or on a mountain trail? You are limiting yourself to paved roads ONLY.
I think I need to clarify my original post a little bit. My intent on posing this question was to learn if there are perhaps more issues or complaints about driveablity or hesitation with the AWD tranny vs. the FWD tranny in the RX330, not the merits of AWD vehicles vs FWD. I apologize if I did not state this clearly enough.